By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - These resolution wars...

I agree, it's just an excuse to to fuel the 'console wars.' Some people need other people unhappy to be happy. I wonder how they would have behaved during the 6th gen when there was a visible difference to the laymen.

It will be interesting to see what happens after next week.

Here is an adorable happy axolotl hat!

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network

look op, the only real reason resogate gets as much attention as it does it because the fidelity gap is significant enough to result in difference of resolution on the same multiplat. If you cost more than your competitor you have to make up the extra cost in value. However having lower resolutions means worse performance, and for and performing worse than the cheaper competitor means you have to make up the price difference + the power difference in value.
PS3 had the same problem when it first launched.
XB1 has that problem now.
But since the power gap is pretty much set in stone, then XB1 has to get rid of its price/value gap some how.

Now I'm not gonna lie and say I wouldn't get an XB1 at 399$ even if it didn't come with a Kinect. Because the power difference is so small, that its exclusives make up for it, and I'll just get multiplats on PS4 or PC.
But right now, the XB1 is 499$, the resogate which is indicative of the power gap, means that I'm paying 100$ just to be allowed to buy X1 exclusives like Halo or Quantum Break.
And with Regards to the Kinect, I couldn't care less about a peripheral I can't be bothered, my webcam is good enough.

You see now OP?
The resolution in and of itself don't matter on consoles, else we would be on PC. Its only significant because of the disparity between the PS4 and XB1. As long as Xbox delivers exclusives more frequently than Nintendo, then the resogate won't effect my console purchase but simply which console I get a multiplat for.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

"Resolution only accounts for a small part of how well a game looks" lol

resolution wars are going to be important b/c if i own both consoles it be nice to know which version to buy, the game is the same price why pay the same for the inferior one?

and if your talking about the stuff about fans of each MF creating drama on the internet "my console is better than yours" your gonna have to deal with it its the internet

Play Me

What's stupid is saying this is only about resolution. It's not.

Resolution is one item in the triangle between "resolution * framerate * complexity"

More GPU power in the form of TFLOPs, #texture units, #rops and memory bandwidth means you can do more of any of those things on PS4.

A) At the same resolution & complexity PS4 can do a higher framerate.
B) At the same resolution & framerate PS4 can do a higher quality.
C) At the same quality & framerate PS4 can do a higher resolution.

Most multi-platform games currently use option (C), but Tomb Raider uses option (A) - same resolution, much better framerate on PS4.

My 8th gen collection

SaberSaurus said:
Xenobot said:
Then buy a Wii U. You'll get 1080p and 500% of gameplay/game design/emotions.

This. Why shouldn't people worry about what their Next-Gen console can do?

Double this.

and nice pic.

Around the Network
BHR-3 said:

resolution wars are going to be important b/c if i own both consoles it be nice to know which version to buy, the game is the same price why pay the same for the inferior one?

and if your talking about the stuff about fans of each MF creating drama on the internet "my console is better than yours" your gonna have to deal with it its the internet

Kind of hard to refute this, not that it won't stop some from trying.

This was more or less the conclusion I came to back in 2008 when I started PC gaming. 

If I'm paying $60 for a game that I can play on 3 or even 4 of the different platforms I have at my disposal, I'm probably going to pay for the one that performs the best.

The only reason for deviating from that would be if you're being a pal, a friend only has X platform, which doesn't give you the same performance, but... you're being a pal, and they want to play with you on X platform, so you take the performance hit. 

To be more precise, the people who argue about game resolution are the , "idiots." Many of us try to ignore it except for obvious differences as compared to the Nintendo platforms against Sony and Microsoft platforms.

I sit on the sidelines laughing at most petty arguements, though the intent of the thread is incredibly well placed with benevolent intentions. Good show!

ICStats said:

What's stupid is saying this is only about resolution. It's not.

Resolution is one item in the triangle between "resolution * framerate * complexity"

More GPU power in the form of TFLOPs, #texture units, #rops and memory bandwidth means you can do more of any of those things on PS4.

A) At the same resolution & complexity PS4 can do a higher framerate.
B) At the same resolution & framerate PS4 can do a higher quality.
C) At the same quality & framerate PS4 can do a higher resolution.

Most multi-platform games currently use option (C), but Tomb Raider uses option (A) - same resolution, much better framerate on PS4.

And this is why the A vs. B platform (let's just call it for what it is: PS4 vs. Xbox One) arguments from a technical standpoint are moot and should really just go away even if they won't Because Internet.

The discrepancies in resolution simply boil down to a better GPU with more processing units (from the same series, so there's no hidden magic to be discovered by different architectures, ditto for the CPUs) and faster memory. 

The 8th gen debates should really just be reduced to which exclusives you're willing to pay for and which platform (online service) you prefer to play on. 

So yeah. Resolution doesn't matter from a limited perspective, but the hardware discrepancies sure as hell do. 

BHR-3 said:

i can barely tell the difference.  what game do you play that you just sit there and compare screenshots?  Oh, I know, it's called "resolution wars".  it's an online only browser based game.  the graphics are poor and most players are idiots.  I only recommend it to people with no need for a game console.

It is near the end of the end....

Let's be frank, if a PC manufacturer was selling a PCs with the same CPU, but config X had a HD 7770, with DDR RAM, and cost $499 - and config Y had a HD 7850, with GDDR RAM, and cost $399, there would not be fanboys arguing that X was better or the same on the internet. X would get horrible reviews for performance and value, and no recommendations from anyone serious.

My 8th gen collection