By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Killzone ShadowFall Multiplayer runs at only 960 x 1080 resolution

And nobody noticed (not even Digital Foundry) until now?

Around the Network
Lawlight said:

I noticed a while ago as did many people. It was clear something was way off in the multiplayer but both Guerilla and Sony claimed the game was running in 1080p in multiplayer. Pretty much everyone thought that the reason the textures looked so off was due to a horrible use of FXAA but it turns out it was actually due to the resolution being so poor.

fallen said:

Yup. Specs are one part of the picture, albeit a very very important one in video games. 

The importance of specs depends on the gamer.

Specs aren't a huge deal to me; I preferred the Wii over PS3/360 despite the spec gap, and my first choice of 8th gen console was Wii U.

150 million PS2 owners didn't seem to mind getting a machine with inferior specs.

Lawlight said:

It's because the game is essentially running at 1080i.

The game is being rendered at 960X1080, but the devs aren't just scaling that to native 1080p. Instead they're filling in the missing pixels with data from the previous frame. You can see it here.

Look at the white objects in the center of the screen. That ghost like copy of them just to the side is a result of this technique. That's where those objects were the previous frame.

For a long time people have known there was something up with multiplayer, but just now we're figuring out what exactly that is.

After all the shit Sony fans gave Titanfall for not being 1080p and using KZ:Shadowfall as an example of "1080p 60fps of pure beauty"(yes, that is a direct quote) then this comes out. Some serious crow has been eaten these last few hours.

Around the Network
Aerys said:
MoHasanie said:

haha, I thought it was "embarrassing that a next gen console couldn't do full 1080p" and now The Order and this and many more games will not be full HD ps4 games. I hope this will put an end to these annoying endless arguments about frame rates and resolutions, but this gen PS fans will keep gloating how their games look so much better than X1 games. To be fair to them, xbox fans were very arrogant last gen about third party games being better on their console so I guess these arguments will never end.

What is really embarassing, and people seem to dont understand that,  is paying $100  more for a less powerful hardware when the other console $100 cheaper has the best versions of the games, then you have the possibility to get a better version of the games for a better price. So no, obviously, having a better framerate or  better resolution, better everything( yes, people are to focused on these 2 things whereas there is many others technical aspects) for a better price will always be a thing, and that's the way it should be, that makes sense if you're a smart gamer. Why pay more to get less when you can get more for less ?

( + The Order will be full HD quality so the resolution isnt a problem there, before talking about resolution, you should know why people ask for a better resolution, still, at the moment, only very few PS4 games are not 1080p , even if that isnt the only important thing of course)

Unbelievable this way of thinking man. Utterly unreal

Oh my goodness! What rez does it run on the XB1?

Arguments about an exact resolution for every game are daft.  Not every sport is 100m sprint.

Results are only meaningful in comparison to other players, like how well would XB1 run Killzone Shadowfall?  Would it be running at half 720p to hit 60fps?

My 8th gen collection

It really depends on the game. 30fps for a shooter like Metro Last Light is acceptable. 30fps for a shooter like Borderlands 2 is not. I think Ryse has proven that 900p is perfectly acceptable. Dice was wise to choose that on the PS4 at 60fps over a wonky fps at 1080p

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

So Xbox fans are taking this as a victory, when Killzone would run and/or look worse on their console? I guess you have to take what you can get. Even if you have to twist it sometimes.

As someone else said in this thread, "You live by the sword, you die by it." I agree. Just like Xbox fans boasted about superior multiplats last gen, even if the difference was minor, now they have to deal with the bad publicity from inferior multiplats this gen.

smroadkill15 said:
After all the shit Sony fans gave Titanfall for not being 1080p and using KZ:Shadowfall as an example of "1080p 60fps of pure beauty"(yes, that is a direct quote) then this comes out. Some serious crow has been eaten these last few hours.

Dat Source Engine though

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank