By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Killzone ShadowFall Multiplayer runs at only 960 x 1080 resolution

thismeintiel said:
So Xbox fans are taking this as a victory, when Killzone would run and/or look worse on their console? I guess you have to take what you can get. Even if you have to twist it sometimes.

As someone else said in this thread, "You live by the sword, you die by it." I agree. Just like Xbox fans boasted about superior multiplats last gen, even if the difference was minor, now they have to deal with the bad publicity from inferior multiplats this gen.

C'mon man, that can't ever be proven/disproved. Even the equivalent Sci-Fi FPS for X1 will supposedly run at 60fps at all times and will have to sacrifice image quality. So even Halo won't be a proper comparison. I guess we'll never know....

Around the Network

Epic Twist!

It's still 1080p though. Not Full HD. But 1080p.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Skeeuk said:
can anyone get a way to post their own KZ multiplayer screen shots? the image is in no way looking low res in comparison to let's say battlefield which is 900p and actually looks it, KZ on the other hand looks better with a much clearer image and doesn't look upscaled

we should do a screen shot comparison from next gen fps

That's because Killzone isn't upscaled. It's kinda like the order 1886.

Both games are native resolution, but they're rendering a lot less pixels than 1080p. With the order this is just done for artistic reasons with black bars, but with killzone it's solely to save processing power.

What killzone does is actually kinda cool. Basically if you're standing still, the image is 1920x1080. Fast moving objects however are 960X1080. It essentially applies a motion blur before waisting resources on rendering those objects. It'll look different in a video, but here's just one frame.

What the game does is overlap the current 960X1080 frame with the previous 960X1080 frame. In zero motion areas this would theoretically make a perfect 1920X1080 image, but that's not really happening. There's still some blur and smudges associated with this effect.

It's pretty much just 1080i.

OdinHades said:
Epic Twist!

lol its slightly more then 720 but less then 792p

dane007 said:
OdinHades said:
Epic Twist!

lol its slightly more then 720 but less then 792p

The term 1080p doesn't care about vertical lines. 1080 horizontal lines is technically 1080p. Gran Turismo did the same thing. That's why Sony didn't lie when they said Killzone is 1080p They never said something about 1920x1080 or Full HD. Sure, it's marketing talk and a little fishy. But nevertheless correct. 

Not that I would really care though. I mean, you gotta admit it's a pretty good solution if it takes 3 months for people to get behind it. 

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network

@Joe

I can't reply/quote I'm using opera mini browser on mobile

so that's what that outline blur along the edges is? when you run its a kinda like a minute tunnel vision effect eg giving effect of speed if you know what I mean

what is it actually doing when that specific blur is there,

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

hard to believe, cause being an avid PC gamer running all my PC games at the highest settings, and then played KZ SF SP and MP , I can easily assure everyone shadow fall is definitely is full HD, ;)

soooo haters gonna hate ?

BenVTrigger said:
Mmmfishtacos said:

When did they confirm the resolution for titanfall? Last i heard it was just over 720? 

the Beta ran at 1408 x 792 which is 1,115,136 pixels.

KZ multiplayer is 960 x 1080 which is 1,036,800.

So even if Titanfall doesn't go higher than its Beta it already has a higher resolution. The rumor is the final build is higher than the Beta. Regardless in terms of resolution it outperforms Killzone.

This isn't meant to be an attack on Killzone but I'm simply saying hopefully it puts an end to some of the drive by comments I've seen in regard to Titanfall.

It won't. Killzone SF MP still looks better than Titanfall Maxed out on PC because of the old engine. That's why I expected Titanfall to run at 1080p 60fps on X1 before they revealed it was 790p

Smartest nam evila

Current Platforms: HighendPC[rip]/PS4/PS3[rip]/Vita[rip]

ironmanDX said:
BenVTrigger said:

No, not likely. This generation of hardware wil have far less optimization than last gen considering X1 and PS4 are more similar to PC than any prior generation ever. A big part of that being x86 architecture.

To be honest 1080p, 60 fps will be pretty rare unless developers cut back on effects, textures, lighting, etc.  There will still be beautiful games but I don't forsee 1080p 60fps becoming the norm.

Xbox One and PS4 both have pretty weak GPUs.

Lucky my brother finished my PC then!

At this rate, Brand new PC builds in less than two years from now. Will be considerably more powerful than the consoles and cheaper than $500/£430 

Smartest nam evila

Current Platforms: HighendPC[rip]/PS4/PS3[rip]/Vita[rip]

Skeeuk said:
@Joe

I can't reply/quote I'm using opera mini browser on mobile

so that's what that outline blur along the edges is? when you run its a kinda like a minute tunnel vision effect eg giving effect of speed if you know what I mean

what is it actually doing when that specific blur is there,

The screen is broken up into even and odd pixel columns. Killzone renders the even columns for a 960X1080 resolution, and then for the next frame renders the odd columns. Still a 960X1080 resolution, but they're different pixels. It goes back and fourth repeating this over and over.

On screen this causes the current frame and the previous frame to be displayed at the same time. In the picture above can you see the "ghost" red laser on the gun? That is where the laser was in the previous frame. If you zoom in you can actually see how it's every other pixel column.

The real laser looks solid though. There must be some program in place that selectively mixes the two beyond just placing the pixels next to each other. This program stops fast moving objects from looking like ghosts and bleeding together, but it's also the reason for all the visible artifacts in the scene, such as the outline around the gun.