By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Sony Taking Advantage of Canada Because of Their Lead?

Acevil said:

Okay I can fill in this one.... what is happening is that the Canadian Dollar is now not on par with the United States dollar. Some companies have added 5 Dollars. Sony has added 10 dollars. Some time next year, all games should be $10 higher, like the start of generation of the last generation.

The Price of Infamous Second Son in Canada should be be 66.41 CAD compared to the 59.99 USD. However 69.99 is what the rounded up price is, and 64.99 is the rounded down price.

All companies will do this in the long run, unless some companies decide to establish Canadian Specific price strategy. 

Exactly, it's not just Sony games that are up in price. For instance on futureshop.ca (Which best buy owns) Destny X1 sku = $69.99

Around the Network

This gen PS4 and Xbox One games cost between £45-£55 even though the £ to $ exchange rate is really high right now (£1=$1.67)

Current consoles: Wii U, Gaming PC

Add me on Wii U! Adamjh99

Add me on Steam! GamingByAdam

Everything in this country is expensive. I think we had a thread claiming that game prices will rise to $70 soon here.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

MoHasanie said:

Everything in this country is expensive. I think we had a thread claiming that game prices will rise to $70 soon here.

Weren't games $70 before?

Squeezol's Fanclub Member? is that how it works?

Why can't I hold all these no gaemz?

Always looking to improve my awful drawings ;_; 

wouldn't anyone like to point out that if the rolls between Sony and Microsoft were reversed and the X1 had a 2 million console lead this soon after release, it would be Sony's exclusive sporting the cheaper price.
The ONLY reason that Infamous is listed at 69.99 CAD is because Sony knows they can get away with it.
This is exactly what companies do when they have a commanding upper hand in the market.
... and it's also the reason that strong competition is so important.

Fanboys on either side light up at the prospect of their respective console dominating the other(s), unfortunately, the hegemony of any one product within its market will ALWAYS lead to higher prices in the long run.
So with all the congratulatory praise and foolish ideological worship for the PS4 running rampant on sites like this, it's nice to see that higher price stick sorely out as a reminder of supply and demand... and the trouble with fanboyism.

Around the Network
Akiran said:
MoHasanie said:

Weren't games $70 before?

They were. People don't know how USD to CAD works..... why are people thinking this is about Sony being the market leader.

I love how some people keep taking these threads personally lol.

Look at that cow. If you didn't eat it, it would likely try to eat you! Now, look at that Microsoft. If they could get away with it, they would too.

They'd raise the price of Titanfall AND they'd eat you.

Or maybe that's just the way things have always been in Canada. I don't know. What I do know is that Titanfall is an online only game and, in my opinion (Happy now, DOC!?) I don't think anybody should pay full price for an online only game.

d21lewis said:
Look at that cow. If you didn't eat it, it would likely try to eat you! Now, look at that Microsoft. If they could get away with it, they would too.

They'd raise the price of Titanfall AND they'd eat you.

Or maybe that's just the way things have always been in Canada. I don't know. What I do know is that Titanfall is an online only game and, in my opinion (Happy now, DOC!?) I don't think anybody should pay full price for an online only game.

games have always been around $50-$70 (excluding limited editions). The Canadian dollar has just dropped to 0.90 USD and it was even lower than that before, but now most retail games went up by $5.

Squeezol's Fanclub Member? is that how it works?

Why can't I hold all these no gaemz?

Always looking to improve my awful drawings ;_; 

NobleTeam360 said:
I love how some people keep taking these threads personally lol.

I take basic economic knowledge really serious!