By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Sony Taking Advantage of Canada Because of Their Lead?

Acevil said:
NobleTeam360 said:
I love how some people keep taking these threads personally lol.

I take basic economic knowledge really serious!

I wasn't reffering to you xD. 

Around the Network
NobleTeam360 said:
Acevil said:
NobleTeam360 said:

Games is srs business :P

Squeezol's Fanclub Member? is that how it works?

Why can't I hold all these no gaemz?

Always looking to improve my awful drawings ;_; 

Akiran said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Acevil said:
NobleTeam360 said:

Games is srs business :P

Not you either ^_^

Those games are not in direct competition so it really doesn't matter

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Sevengen said:
wouldn't anyone like to point out that if the rolls between Sony and Microsoft were reversed and the X1 had a 2 million console lead this soon after release, it would be Sony's exclusive sporting the cheaper price.
The ONLY reason that Infamous is listed at 69.99 CAD is because Sony knows they can get away with it.
This is exactly what companies do when they have a commanding upper hand in the market.
... and it's also the reason that strong competition is so important.

Fanboys on either side light up at the prospect of their respective console dominating the other(s), unfortunately, the hegemony of any one product within its market will ALWAYS lead to higher prices in the long run.
So with all the congratulatory praise and foolish ideological worship for the PS4 running rampant on sites like this, it's nice to see that higher price stick sorely out as a reminder of supply and demand... and the trouble with fanboyism.

So it's fanboyism that has made the cost of games in Canada $69.99 and not the Canadian looney which lost parity with the US market?  wow!   You do know this has nothing to do with market lead or share right?  It's based on canadian economics. Why would a 2M lead world wide cause an increase only in Canada?  If that were true, wouldn't the increase be for other countries as well? Plus we don't even know who is the market leader in Canada as NPD for Canada does not release numbers.  A little research on your part would go a long way. Take for instance back in 2006 when the loonie was in a similar state as it is now. The PS3 launched at $649.99 in Canada and games were $69.99. Sony was in last place then and therefore defeats your own logic. It wasn't until a year later that Canadian software and hardware for both PS and Xbox games met parity with the US counterpart. Once again, this is not a "Sony" thing, just look at some X1 games such as Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny etc. Your going to see a lot of both PS4 and X1 games in Canada higher priced, get your head out of the console war for 1 second to realize this please...

Around the Network
Acevil said:

Okay I can fill in this one.... what is happening is that the Canadian Dollar is now not on par with the United States dollar. Some companies have added 5 Dollars. Sony has added 10 dollars. Some time next year, all games should be $10 higher, like the start of generation of the last generation.

The Price of Infamous Second Son in Canada should be be 66.41 CAD compared to the 59.99 USD. However 69.99 is what the rounded up price is, and 64.99 is the rounded down price.

All companies will do this in the long run, unless some companies decide to establish Canadian Specific price strategy. 

Xbox One:

Elder Scrolls online and Spiderman 2 are $64.99...  Destiny and Murdered are $69.99

All Xbox One Exclusives listed at Best Buy including Sunset Overdrive, Titanfall, Halo 5, Kinect Sports Rivals, D4, Quantum Break, Below, and Disney Fantasia are listed for $59.99...

Playstation 4:

Elder Scolls Online and Spiderman 2 are $64.99... inFamous Second Son, MLB 14, The Order, Destiny, Drive Club, and Murdered are $69.99

Sony has no PS4 exclusives at $59.99

The hypocracy is even worse with PS3 MLB 14...  How come it is only $59.99 on PS3?  If the exchange rate was really to blame why is this not priced the same?

Seems like Sony is more than willing to jump ahead, raise the price of their exclusives, and be anti-consumer probably because of their market position.  Whereas Microsoft is being consumer friendly in Canada by keeping their exclusives at a traditional price.

Really all I am pointing out here is how dangerous domination is by any console.  When consoles are even in sales, we don't see these kinds of unilateral behaviours from the console vendors with their exclusives. 

If you are in Canada and buy any PS4 exclusives on Day 1, you are paying a $10 premium.  That is a fact. You can make any excuses you want, but that is the fact of the situation currently.  Cheaper console, more expensive exclusives...

NeoRatt said:
Acevil said:

Okay I can fill in this one.... what is happening is that the Canadian Dollar is now not on par with the United States dollar. Some companies have added 5 Dollars. Sony has added 10 dollars. Some time next year, all games should be $10 higher, like the start of generation of the last generation.

The Price of Infamous Second Son in Canada should be be 66.41 CAD compared to the 59.99 USD. However 69.99 is what the rounded up price is, and 64.99 is the rounded down price.

All companies will do this in the long run, unless some companies decide to establish Canadian Specific price strategy. 

Xbox One:

Elder Scrolls online and Spiderman 2 are $64.99...  Destiny and Murdered are $69.99

All Xbox One Exclusives listed at Best Buy including Sunset Overdrive, Titanfall, Halo 5, Kinect Sports Rivals, D4, Quantum Break, Below, and Disney Fantasia are listed for $59.99...

Playstation 4:

Elder Scolls Online and Spiderman 2 are $64.99... inFamous Second Son, MLB 14, The Order, Destiny, Drive Club, and Murdered are $69.99

The hypocracy is even worse with PS3 MLB 14...  How come it is only $59.99 on PS3?  If the exchange rate was really to blame why is this not priced the same?

Seems like Sony is more than willing to jump ahead, raise the price of their exclusives, and be anti-consumer probably because of their market position.  Whereas Microsoft is being consumer friendly in Canada by keeping their exclusives at a traditional price.

Really all I am pointing out here is how dangerous domination is by any console.  When consoles are even in sales, we don't see these kinds of unilateral behaviours from the console vendors with their exclusives. 

If you are in Canada and buy any PS4 exclusives on Day 1, you are paying a $10 premium.  That is a fact. You can make any excuses you want, but that is the fact of the situation currently.  Cheaper console, more expensive exclusives...

I will be buying Infamous for 54.99CAD...

So when Microsoft and other companies start retroactivily raising prices, will you be calling BS on them, and make a thread, because I look forward to it. 

(Also Traditional prices is 69.99.... for CAD....)

Just glad it isn't MS doing this. There would have been 10,000 threads already.

Acevil said:
NeoRatt said:
Acevil said:

Xbox One:

Playstation 4:

I will be buying Infamous for 54.99CAD...

So when Microsoft and other companies start retroactivily raising prices, will you be called BS on them, and make a thread, because I look forward to it. 

(Also Traditional prices is 69.99.... for CAD....)

If MS raises their price to $69.99 I will be disappointed...  But, I always take pictures in store of prices when I pre-order them, because Best Buy honors it if you put the receipt by the price tag and picture them together.

I have not paid $69.99 for a game in Canada since 2005 while 360 was the only console in the generation.  As soon as competition entered MS started pricing exclusives at $59.99.   $69.99 is a regular price is BS.  I know this because I have every north american release for X360 since day one and have not seen a $69.99 game since 2005/6...  (Don't believe I have everything, go look at my gamertag on TrueAchievements.com...  http://www.trueachievements.com/NeoRatt.htm)

NeoRatt said:

I went to my Best Buy yesterday and noticed that infamous (Sony's big spring exclusive) is $10 more than Titanfall (Microsoft's big spring time exclusive).

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/infamous-second-son-limited-edition-playstation-4/10255414.aspx?path=1c58b5275c47500fb44d17fd71c5f19een02

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/ea-titanfall-xbox-one-014633366969/10255636.aspx?path=5de185167f40fd2addeff467daa9cb87en02

Is this right?  Why is Sony charging $10 more for their exclusive than MS is for their exclusive?  Could it be because Sony knows fanboys will gladly pay anything to play Sony games and that there is so much ill will to MS that they know they can get away with it?

Yes, Sony's big idea to make up their losses is to overprice and take advantage of Canada. Canada should also pay the United States billions of dollars for unleashing Justin on us!