By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Sony Taking Advantage of Canada Because of Their Lead?

Acevil said:

They were. People don't know how USD to CAD works..... why are people thinking this is about Sony being the market leader.

You answered your own question in this very post, Ace. People don't know what they're talking 'bout.

Around the Network
Acevil said:
NeoRatt said:
Acevil said:

Okay I can fill in this one.... what is happening is that the Canadian Dollar is now not on par with the United States dollar. Some companies have added 5 Dollars. Sony has added 10 dollars. Some time next year, all games should be $10 higher, like the start of generation of the last generation.

The Price of Infamous Second Son in Canada should be be 66.41 CAD compared to the 59.99 USD. However 69.99 is what the rounded up price is, and 64.99 is the rounded down price.

All companies will do this in the long run, unless some companies decide to establish Canadian Specific price strategy. 

Xbox One:

Elder Scrolls online and Spiderman 2 are $64.99...  Destiny and Murdered are $69.99

All Xbox One Exclusives listed at Best Buy including Sunset Overdrive, Titanfall, Halo 5, Kinect Sports Rivals, D4, Quantum Break, Below, and Disney Fantasia are listed for $59.99...

Playstation 4:

Elder Scolls Online and Spiderman 2 are $64.99... inFamous Second Son, MLB 14, The Order, Destiny, Drive Club, and Murdered are $69.99

Sony has no PS4 exclusives at $59.99

The hypocracy is even worse with PS3 MLB 14...  How come it is only $59.99 on PS3?  If the exchange rate was really to blame why is this not priced the same?

Seems like Sony is more than willing to jump ahead, raise the price of their exclusives, and be anti-consumer probably because of their market position.  Whereas Microsoft is being consumer friendly in Canada by keeping their exclusives at a traditional price.

Really all I am pointing out here is how dangerous domination is by any console.  When consoles are even in sales, we don't see these kinds of unilateral behaviours from the console vendors with their exclusives. 

If you are in Canada and buy any PS4 exclusives on Day 1, you are paying a $10 premium.  That is a fact. You can make any excuses you want, but that is the fact of the situation currently.  Cheaper console, more expensive exclusives...

I will be buying Infamous for 54.99CAD...

So when Microsoft and other companies start retroactivily raising prices, will you be calling BS on them, and make a thread, because I look forward to it. 

(Also Traditional prices is 69.99.... for CAD....)

OMG, just buy the darn thing or stop. Why would you compare them anyway? Canada honestly should be more expensive because it is more expensive for Sony to bring them there. Maybe Sony faces taxes MS does not? Maybe Sony has to ship from a more expensive area? Also maybe not and they are preparing for a price shift?

It's likely that Sony defined their MSRP at a later time than EA with Titanfall and the currency moved more in that time.
But the real question is why is EA charging so much for Titanfall, when given that they are releasing it on 3 platforms,
2 of which are 'mature' with a large install base, they can easily expect it to sell much more than I:SS will on just PS4.

rolltide101x said:
NeoRatt said:

I went to my Best Buy yesterday and noticed that infamous (Sony's big spring exclusive) is $10 more than Titanfall (Microsoft's big spring time exclusive).

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/infamous-second-son-limited-edition-playstation-4/10255414.aspx?path=1c58b5275c47500fb44d17fd71c5f19een02

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/ea-titanfall-xbox-one-014633366969/10255636.aspx?path=5de185167f40fd2addeff467daa9cb87en02

Is this right?  Why is Sony charging $10 more for their exclusive than MS is for their exclusive?  Could it be because Sony knows fanboys will gladly pay anything to play Sony games and that there is so much ill will to MS that they know they can get away with it?

Yes, Sony's big idea to make up their losses is to overprice and take advantage of Canada. Canada should also pay the United States billions of dollars for unleashing Justin on us!

USA took and welcomed the scumbag Beiber all on your own! And fairly and squarely lost the Canada vs USA bet to keep him...

Well I can say at least for Canada in terms of game prices its still not as bad as Australia :).

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:
Sony is punishing you canadians for Justin Bieber... you guys deserve it

Sony have to do the same to American for Miley Cyrus then .... :v

that's the price you pay for 1080p

Blood_Tears said:
Sevengen said:
wouldn't anyone like to point out that if the rolls between Sony and Microsoft were reversed and the X1 had a 2 million console lead this soon after release, it would be Sony's exclusive sporting the cheaper price.
The ONLY reason that Infamous is listed at 69.99 CAD is because Sony knows they can get away with it.
This is exactly what companies do when they have a commanding upper hand in the market.
... and it's also the reason that strong competition is so important.

Fanboys on either side light up at the prospect of their respective console dominating the other(s), unfortunately, the hegemony of any one product within its market will ALWAYS lead to higher prices in the long run.
So with all the congratulatory praise and foolish ideological worship for the PS4 running rampant on sites like this, it's nice to see that higher price stick sorely out as a reminder of supply and demand... and the trouble with fanboyism.

So it's fanboyism that has made the cost of games in Canada $69.99 and not the Canadian looney which lost parity with the US market?  wow!   You do know this has nothing to do with market lead or share right?  It's based on canadian economics. Why would a 2M lead world wide cause an increase only in Canada?  If that were true, wouldn't the increase be for other countries as well? Plus we don't even know who is the market leader in Canada as NPD for Canada does not release numbers.  A little research on your part would go a long way. Take for instance back in 2006 when the loonie was in a similar state as it is now. The PS3 launched at $649.99 in Canada and games were $69.99. Sony was in last place then and therefore defeats your own logic. It wasn't until a year later that Canadian software and hardware for both PS and Xbox games met parity with the US counterpart. Once again, this is not a "Sony" thing, just look at some X1 games such as Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny etc. Your going to see a lot of both PS4 and X1 games in Canada higher priced, get your head out of the console war for 1 second to realize this please...

Blood_Tears.. did you happen to catch NeoRatt's response posted directly below your reply to me?
Since my head is all wrapped up in the console war and I'm obviously not thinking clearly, I was surprised to see another post that 'proved' what I was saying.
I mean, how could that have happened?
I didn't know what I was talking about right?... lol.

Accept it my man, Sony's taking advantage of their position and charging a little more for certain products.. simply because they can.
As far as the PS3 in 2006, they really didn't have much of a choice but to release at a much higher price, including games. Also, Sony's hubris at the time led them to believe their fans would pay just about anything for PS2's successor, which helped to affect that decision.
So you quoted the release price of the PS3 and it's games.. comparitively what were those prices a year or so later in Canada.
hmm... that's right, they were much lower. Exchange rates and the sliding worth of the Canadian dollar were only a part of that price difference.
See how that works. Supply and demand my friend.

Acevil said:

Okay I can fill in this one.... what is happening is that the Canadian Dollar is now not on par with the United States dollar. Some companies have added 5 Dollars. Sony has added 10 dollars. Some time next year, all games should be $10 higher, like the start of generation of the last generation.

The Price of Infamous Second Son in Canada should be be 66.41 CAD compared to the 59.99 USD. However 69.99 is what the rounded up price is, and 64.99 is the rounded down price.

All companies will do this in the long run, unless some companies decide to establish Canadian Specific price strategy. 

Actually that isn't really correct. I mean, the prices of the dollar and conversion and all that is correct, but the reasoning is wrong. 

Even when Canada carried a dollar that was worth more than that of the US prices were still more. It also doesn't have anything to do with extra taxation or transport. The reason that this happens is because they can do it and it's what people are used to. 

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

rolltide101x said:
Acevil said:
NeoRatt said:
Acevil said:

Xbox One:

Elder Scrolls online and Spiderman 2 are $64.99...  Destiny and Murdered are $69.99

All Xbox One Exclusives listed at Best Buy including Sunset Overdrive, Titanfall, Halo 5, Kinect Sports Rivals, D4, Quantum Break, Below, and Disney Fantasia are listed for $59.99...

Playstation 4:

Elder Scolls Online and Spiderman 2 are $64.99... inFamous Second Son, MLB 14, The Order, Destiny, Drive Club, and Murdered are $69.99

Sony has no PS4 exclusives at $59.99

The hypocracy is even worse with PS3 MLB 14...  How come it is only $59.99 on PS3?  If the exchange rate was really to blame why is this not priced the same?

Seems like Sony is more than willing to jump ahead, raise the price of their exclusives, and be anti-consumer probably because of their market position.  Whereas Microsoft is being consumer friendly in Canada by keeping their exclusives at a traditional price.

Really all I am pointing out here is how dangerous domination is by any console.  When consoles are even in sales, we don't see these kinds of unilateral behaviours from the console vendors with their exclusives. 

If you are in Canada and buy any PS4 exclusives on Day 1, you are paying a $10 premium.  That is a fact. You can make any excuses you want, but that is the fact of the situation currently.  Cheaper console, more expensive exclusives...

I will be buying Infamous for 54.99CAD...

So when Microsoft and other companies start retroactivily raising prices, will you be calling BS on them, and make a thread, because I look forward to it. 

(Also Traditional prices is 69.99.... for CAD....)

OMG, just buy the darn thing or stop. Why would you compare them anyway? Canada honestly should be more expensive because it is more expensive for Sony to bring them there. Maybe Sony faces taxes MS does not? Maybe Sony has to ship from a more expensive area? Also maybe not and they are preparing for a price shift?

It's not more expensive to bring them into Canada. The taxes are the same for each. Quit making excuses. They do it because they can. 

Also, 69.99 is not the traditional price for a game in Canada, the normal price is $59.99. Most of the time they are on par, there are only a few times where a game like the ones mentioned become more expensive. However, generally lots of general products are slightly more expensive than the US. They usually say it's because of the Dollar, but in reality when the Canadian Dollar was worth more than the US the prices didn't reflect that, so it's just charging extra because they can. 

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.