By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Sony Taking Advantage of Canada Because of Their Lead?

It's no longer deniable. Sony is a chauvinistic, anti-Canadian far right hate group.

Around the Network

lol dat discussion.

Guess what, the recommended price for PS4/XO games currently sits at 97 US Dollars or 106 Canadian Dollars in Euro countries with the current conversion rate (retail price for new games is 70 Euro - so 60 Dollars equal 70 Euro for Sony and MS, yeah obviously). And I don't even wanna know what Australians have to pay.

I'm basically buying every downloadable game online in USD and basically every retail game for UK pound. Even all my fucking consoles are either from the UK or the US. You north americans should just be glad you are not living basically anywhere else in terms of gaming prices.

I still remember my only holidays in the US a couple years back. If I could I'd have bought a plane full of electornic crap. Because dat stuff is shit cheap for you.

Schreckofant said:

lol dat discussion.

Guess what, the recommended price for PS4/XO games currently sits at 97 US Dollars or 106 Canadian Dollars in Euro countries with the current conversion rate (retail price for new games is 70 Euro - so 60 Dollars equal 70 Euro for Sony and MS, yeah obviously). And I don't even wanna know what Australians have to pay.

I'm basically buying every downloadable game online in USD and basically every retail game for UK pound. Even all my fucking consoles are either from the UK or the US. You north americans should just be glad you are not living basically anywhere else in terms of gaming prices.

I still remember my only holidays in the US a couple years back. If I could I'd have bought a plane full of electornic crap. Because dat stuff is shit cheap for you.

In my country, when somebody wants to buy expensive electronics, they pay somebody who is going to the US who buys the stuff for them. That was how I got my PSP. It was basically half the price.

NeoRatt said:
Acevil said:

Okay I can fill in this one.... what is happening is that the Canadian Dollar is now not on par with the United States dollar. Some companies have added 5 Dollars. Sony has added 10 dollars. Some time next year, all games should be $10 higher, like the start of generation of the last generation.

The Price of Infamous Second Son in Canada should be be 66.41 CAD compared to the 59.99 USD. However 69.99 is what the rounded up price is, and 64.99 is the rounded down price.

All companies will do this in the long run, unless some companies decide to establish Canadian Specific price strategy. 

Xbox One:

Elder Scrolls online and Spiderman 2 are $64.99...  Destiny and Murdered are $69.99

All Xbox One Exclusives listed at Best Buy including Sunset Overdrive, Titanfall, Halo 5, Kinect Sports Rivals, D4, Quantum Break, Below, and Disney Fantasia are listed for $59.99...

Playstation 4:

Elder Scolls Online and Spiderman 2 are $64.99... inFamous Second Son, MLB 14, The Order, Destiny, Drive Club, and Murdered are $69.99

Sony has no PS4 exclusives at $59.99

The hypocracy is even worse with PS3 MLB 14...  How come it is only $59.99 on PS3?  If the exchange rate was really to blame why is this not priced the same?

Seems like Sony is more than willing to jump ahead, raise the price of their exclusives, and be anti-consumer probably because of their market position.  Whereas Microsoft is being consumer friendly in Canada by keeping their exclusives at a traditional price.

Really all I am pointing out here is how dangerous domination is by any console.  When consoles are even in sales, we don't see these kinds of unilateral behaviours from the console vendors with their exclusives. 

If you are in Canada and buy any PS4 exclusives on Day 1, you are paying a $10 premium.  That is a fact. You can make any excuses you want, but that is the fact of the situation currently.  Cheaper console, more expensive exclusives...

Incorrect as I suspected for game prices. Today, MS has raised the price of all their upcoming exclusives just like Sony to $69.99 ( Sunset Overdrive, Halo 5, QB, D4, Disney Fantasia etc)  Now I wonder how long they will hold out on their current hardware price..

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/bethesda-the-elder-scrolls-online-xbox-one-16024/10255663.aspx?path=86a26ec0c9b036fa93f3667675c6ef09en02

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/bethesda-the-elder-scrolls-online-xbox-one-16024/10255663.aspx?path=f1046734e3d93a334bfb6afd3c08d08een02

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/microsoft-sunset-overdrive-xbox-one-sunset-overdrive/10255628.aspx?path=225f990973d04e327c541ce3aa408ff5en02

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/microsoft-sunset-overdrive-xbox-one-sunset-overdrive/10255628.aspx?path=0501a75b1ef3fa377120e9205b8ff4e8en02

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/microsoft-halo-xbox-one-halo/10255635.aspx?path=c3d516fe959da9f37e6dc04d5153ed0ben02

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/microsoft-halo-xbox-one-halo/10255635.aspx?path=70be0503a10b9ff5304c87c7cdf2502een02

Ok guys.....those who are saying its the Canadian $.

You are correct, but MS isn't doing it. MS ironically this time around has more integrity in smaller markets like Canada. Brazil comes to mind as well.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
sales2099 said:

You are correct, but MS isn't doing it. MS ironically this time around has more integrity in smaller markets like Canada. Brazil comes to mind as well.

Nope they actually are doing it....just did it today if I am not mistaken. Just on the games though...not sure about the system yet.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Isn't Canada on par with US when it comes to sales allegiance?

TheBlackNaruto said:
sales2099 said:

Nope they actually are doing it....just did it today if I am not mistaken. Just on the games though...not sure about the system yet.

Just checked now and Forza 5, Titanfall, and even upcoming Kinect Sports Rivals on Best Buy is still $59.99. Maybe by the summer/fall the games will catch up in price.

Hardware by far is the main point were talking about here. Right now X1 is only $50 more expensive then a PS4, and includes Titanfall and Kinect hardware.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:

In that bundle is a digital game which means no packaging fees, and a Kinect. For $50 more you get a weaker console but a camera with it, along with Titanfall (PS4 owners get the free games from PS+, but that's another story). The value is really up to you, for me the PS4 is still a superior deal since I don't use Kinect, and due to the current exchange rates you aren't paying much more than the people in the US.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

VanceIX said:
sales2099 said:

In that bundle is a digital game which means no packaging fees, and a Kinect. For $50 more you get a weaker console but a camera with it, along with Titanfall (PS4 owners get the free games from PS+, but that's another story). The value is really up to you, for me the PS4 is still a superior deal since I don't use Kinect, and due to the current exchange rates you aren't paying much more than the people in the US.

A $60 AAA game digital or not. Kinect is and does much more then a camera. PS + isn't even part of this discussion. Your preferences are up to you, but the X1 does have considerably more bang for buck in Canada over PS4. 

No big deal. It is a small market and doesn't impact your bragging rights, right?