By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Around 60% of PS4 Owners Also Have a PS Vita

I wonder if Sony counts games acquired through cross-buy and PSPlus as "digital sales."

Around the Network
ModBod said:
UltimateUnknown said:
Remote play absolutely sucks donkey balls. I have both a PS Vita and PS4 and I like both consoles, but the remote play feature that Sony likes to show off is horrendous. Graphically the games look fine through remote play, but the lag in the controls completely kills it. This isn't just a little bit of lag, it is unplayable levels of lag. I tried COD Ghosts on Vita with the feature and even moving your character around feels like a task, let alone doing anything else. Sony really needs to improve this feature manifold before it can even be put as a bullet point on the back of the box.

I just played Tomb Raider less than 5 mins ago via remote play, I am 40 miles from home and it was more than acceptable but my PS4 is wired onto a 40meg fiber :) I am sure that helps a lot. 

I run on a 30meg fiber and I played 2 feet away from the PS4.

I have PS4 and 3DS XL. I don't need vita.
Pokemon X/Y sales > Vita Sales

Sounds to me like you have some sort of interference, when you are in the same area as the PS4 it dont even use the router, the vita connects directly to the PS4. If my wireless headset is powered on my Vita wont event connect to the PS4 :(

To really put that into perspective, 9% of 3DS software sales looks like more than 48% os VITAs softwares sales...

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
what does this tell us?

thats a VERY interesting stat imo.

It does tell us, that so far mostly Sony diehard fans bought the PS4.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I'm one of all of those, but that really just goes to show that I'm in a small minority.

As cool as the remote play is in that it actually works (playing PS4 games through any WiFi connection), I admit that I don't use it; I tried it a few times as a novelty to confirm that it was awesome, which it is, but haven't used it since because I'm not like the guy in the PSV commercial who plays games in the morning before going off to work and then continues his game on the commuter train and again at work while on breaks.

60% of PS4 owners seems high.

theprof00 said:
kowenicki said:
theprof00 said:
kowenicki said:
what does this tell us?

thats a VERY interesting stat imo.

That playstation has more hardcore fans than any other manufactor?

yep... the kind that will adopt asap...

Well, hopefully that translates into lasting sales. Vita really is an amazing system, it just has some really heavy competition and a lack of software support. PSP did well with the casual audience before phones really took off. Now, with the mobile competition, vita is really feeling the pressure. I bet psp to vita lost over 50% of their female audience, which was about 50% of psp sales iirc.

So it's kinda hard to say whether people who are buying ps4 are buying because they're sony fans, or are just gamers in general.

I mean, I would agree that it looks like sony fans buy early, but remember that vita sales dropped off pretty quickly, but we're now in the end of 3 months on sale and it's still doing nearly 15% of peak. Its sales right now per week is within 1% difference of every home system combined.

So, maybe it's actually that all the sales over the past for vita has been playstation fans slowly adopting over time because they were unsure about the system until price drops etc, but they bought ps4 immediately since it's clearly an awesome system. Remember that vita has been out for a couple years now...it's not like 60% of those sales were within the first 3 months.

Yes, I agree. The Vita wasn't so attractive, so only strong Sony-fans bought the system, and slowly. With PS4 they are more likely to pick it up early. I conclude, that the percentage will not stay that way. If more and more people that are not so strong Sony-fans pick up the PS4, they will not buy a PS Vita along with it. That's unlikely. So I think PS4 will not help the Vita much. But the number is interesting indeed.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

kupomogli said:
theprof00 said:
kupomogli said:

Sounds a bit like bs to me.  Just like the digital sales news.

Why does it sound like bs?

No proof on it, just what I think.  They throw out there that only 250,000 tried remote play but 3,060,000 have the PS4 + Vita.  You really think there are that few people who are going to atleast attempt using remote play?

Also over two million Vitas were sold in Japan, so that means that there two million Vita owners outside of Japan who don't own a PS3 in comparison to three million who do.  I just don't buy it.

Also, if 48% of the Vita sales were digital, don't you think Sony would be trying their hardest to get more content to the Vita?  I think that 48% is them adding all the digital sales for games playable on Vita prior to the Vita even releasing.  So everything PSP, all the future cross buy titles later added to the Vita, etc.  Who knows if they don't also add the free PS+ titles into Vita sales.

Just seems like they're padding numbers.

Ah, PS+ may be an explanation for the high digital percentage. I have another one too, it may possible that it all is adding up. I  think it's the same with WiiU, I predict also the WiiU has a higher percentage of digital than the 3DS (probably not as high as the Vita, but much higher than the 3DS). The reason is the lack of retail-titles with mass-appeal. To fill up the think library owners of the systems may be more inclined to buy digital-only smaller games, that are available for both systems. I see a connection to both Sony and Nintendo advertising Indie-games. 

fleischr said:
Off topic, but I wonder how many WiiU owners also have 3DS?

Probably also around 2/3, but surely not one in three 3DS-owners has a WiiU (obviously). So while the percentage of Vita-owners also owning a PS4 will increase, but the number for PS4-owners that also own a Vita will strongly decrease, I assume it will be other way around for 3DS and WiiU. You can see which system of each manufacturer is successful and which not.