By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Around 60% of PS4 Owners Also Have a PS Vita

48 percent of PS Vita's game sales are digital soooo thats where all the Vita sales have gone!

Around the Network

So much for MS allowing the NSA to use Kinect to spy on us....

When we already know that Sony is "watching" you remoteplay...

My take on these numbers is really both good and bad.

60% of PS4 owners have Vitas. Well obviously they were not all purchased with it, so most had one beforehand. Not surprising really. That would be like saying "OMG ITS BAD that 60% of Xone owners also own an Xbox. Or that 60% of PS4 owners also own a PS3." This really means nothing.

It could mean that people want to have both. Great if it leads to more Vita sales (Why they are low now, the people who already had Vitas bought PS4s. Maybe the new sales will sell Vitas?) Thats a big if though.

The 48% number on the game sales is really both good and bad. We do not know though, since we have no idea if they included PS1 classics, PSP games, Vita games..etc. Only way they would really know is if you bought your games from the Vita store (or if they were solely Vita games). Personally, I have 12 Games I have bought for my Vita (PSP games, Vita games and PS1 classics) all digital. Same with the very few people I know (all digital games purchased). Its possible and with Sony making more money off these sales, not exactly a problem.

nanofuture said:
MikeRox said:
But Vita physical sales low, however 48% digital would mean actual sales are double. So this would also help explain why devs are putting content on it.

Definitely a home for traditional gamers anyway :)

Vita game sales are still tiny even if you did double them.  The 'traditional gamer' is a pretty minor market.  You'll notice that most games coming out on Vita are the kind that don't have to sell many copies to be profitable (indie, niche, ports of old games).

Given that these are still the most techhnically accomplished games available on any handheld format, that really shows how dire overall software sales are for handheld consoles outside the expected big name titles.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Don''t forget, most PS4 owners will have PS Plus and PS Plus means free Vita games.

MikeRox said:
nanofuture said:

Vita game sales are still tiny even if you did double them.  The 'traditional gamer' is a pretty minor market.  You'll notice that most games coming out on Vita are the kind that don't have to sell many copies to be profitable (indie, niche, ports of old games).

Given that these are still the most techhnically accomplished games available on any handheld format, that really shows how dire overall software sales are for handheld consoles outside the expected big name titles.

I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean.  The big name titles on Vita don't sell well either, which is one of the reasons companies are shying away from making new big name Vita titles.  3DS doesn't really seem to have that issue.

They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Around the Network
Ssenkahdavic said:

60% of PS4 owners have Vitas. Well obviously they were not all purchased with it, so most had one beforehand. Not surprising really. That would be like saying "OMG ITS BAD that 60% of Xone owners also own an Xbox. Or that 60% of PS4 owners also own a PS3." This really means nothing.

I disagree, the difference with the 360 and the PS4 is... they've sold way more.  Vita's sales lead the PS4's since it launched first.... and there are so few Vita's out there, it more or less tells you that the current PS4 buyers are disporportionatly people who see Playstation as a "Lifestyle" brand.

When generally, seeing the spectucular sellouts we are now, you'd expect there to be a much higher "general gamer" mix that mostly has shunned the Vita.

A lower loyalist rate at launch is actually a better sign because it shows better base demand, as other secondary market indicators have their own issues.

That said, i'm not too concerned.   It's just funny how positive PR and things people see as positive should probably be seen as negative and vice versa.  This is just trying to push Vita... and quite honestly, if you have a PS4 and PS+... why not own one?

It probably means nothing, but if PS4 sales do hit a steeper slope then expected... look back at this number.

I'm one of the Vita-PS4 users :)

PS3, PS4, PSV, Wii U, 3DS + 3DS XL Owner.

PlayStation Nation

NNID: aminryu1

I need to stop buying games...

nanofuture said:

I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean.  The big name titles on Vita don't sell well either, which is one of the reasons companies are shying away from making new big name Vita titles.  3DS doesn't really seem to have that issue.

What big name titles has the Vita had that haven't "sold well"? Killzone is the only one I can really thing of, and probably the only "big name" game  that could be considered to be under performing. The Vita port of Final Fantasy X isn't tracking too far off the PS3 version despite the difference in userbase and other than that there hasn't really been anything since Assassin's Creed and COD in 2012.

Batman Arkham Origins: Blackgate sold better on Vita than 3DS, and FIFA sold better on Vita than 3DS. So I don't get what your gauge is here.

Pretty much everyone putting games out on Vita is happy with the performance of their software as they have confirmed, this is why they continue to make Vita games.

Btw, what are the big name 3DS exclusive games which don't have a Nintendo logo on the box or Monster Hunter?

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:
nanofuture said:

What big name titles has the Vita had that haven't "sold well"?

Pretty much everyone putting games out on Vita is happy with the performance of their software.

Really...?  The highest selling game on Vita by vgchartz estimates is Uncharted:  Golden Abyss at a little over 1 million units.  Nothing else broke a million.  Sales like that are fine for smaller games, but for major releases it's just not good enough.

EDIT: (since you added stuff)

MikeRox said:

What big name titles has the Vita had that haven't "sold well"? Killzone is the only one I can really thing of, and probably the only "big name" game  that could be considered to be under performing. The Vita port of Final Fantasy X isn't tracking too far off the PS3 version despite the difference in userbase and other than that there hasn't really been anything since Assassin's Creed and COD in 2012.

Batman Arkham Origins: Blackgate sold better on Vita than 3DS, and FIFA sold better on Vita than 3DS. So I don't get what your gauge is here.

Pretty much everyone putting games out on Vita is happy with the performance of their software as they have confirmed, this is why they continue to make Vita games.

Btw, what are the big name 3DS exclusive games which don't have a Nintendo logo on the box or Monster Hunter?

The Vita port of FFX not tracking far off from the PS3 version more likely means that the PS3 version is just underperforming, plus it's only out in Japan which is Vita's strongest market.  That there 'hasn't really been anything since 2012' is the evidence that major devs aren't happy with software performance.

Batman Arkham Origins: Blackgate performed poorly on both systems and wasn't well received.

They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

well, im one of those people, but i dont care about remote play or anything like that, i just like to squeeze the ps plus service.