By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Around 60% of PS4 Owners Also Have a PS Vita

greenmedic88 said:
I'm one of all of those, but that really just goes to show that I'm in a small minority.

As cool as the remote play is in that it actually works (playing PS4 games through any WiFi connection), I admit that I don't use it; I tried it a few times as a novelty to confirm that it was awesome, which it is, but haven't used it since because I'm not like the guy in the PSV commercial who plays games in the morning before going off to work and then continues his game on the commuter train and again at work while on breaks.

60% of PS4 owners seems high.

It isn't 60% of PS4 owners, the article is just misleading. The closed door meeting was this week, so I think its safe to assume that this 1 in 3 number is from the beginning of February. The 4.2 million number used by IGN to get to 60% is from December 28th though. Right now its probably less than 50% of PS4 owners that also have a Vita.

Around the Network

Raise hand...

Can´t believe people have both and do not try the second screen thing!!! I do have a Vita and this will be the first thing i try when I buy my PS4.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

WagnerPaiva said:
Can´t believe people have both and do not try the second screen thing!!! I do have a Vita and this will be the first thing i try when I buy my PS4.

I'd curb your enthusiasm for that feature; it's only for games that specifically use that function. As far as I'm aware, there aren't any to date. 

Currently, the best reason to have both is for PS4 remote play, which is a pretty good reason by itself. 

DerNebel said:
greenmedic88 said:
I'm one of all of those, but that really just goes to show that I'm in a small minority.

As cool as the remote play is in that it actually works (playing PS4 games through any WiFi connection), I admit that I don't use it; I tried it a few times as a novelty to confirm that it was awesome, which it is, but haven't used it since because I'm not like the guy in the PSV commercial who plays games in the morning before going off to work and then continues his game on the commuter train and again at work while on breaks.

60% of PS4 owners seems high.

It isn't 60% of PS4 owners, the article is just misleading. The closed door meeting was this week, so I think its safe to assume that this 1 in 3 number is from the beginning of February. The 4.2 million number used by IGN to get to 60% is from December 28th though. Right now its probably less than 50% of PS4 owners that also have a Vita.

Less than 50% could mean a lot of things. 25% is less than 50% although I don't think it's that low.

I also figure that the majority of PSV buyers were either heavy Playstation brand consumers (who have owned everything PS), uber gadget geeks who buy all sorts of portable devices and the smallest group being PS4 owners who wanted the PSV for the "satellite" use functions. 

Although if you think about it any PS+ subscribers should also be potential PSV buyers since their subscription gives them full access to quite a few good PSV games. I'm not convinced Sony marketing is pushing that value proposition as much as they should. If one owns a PS3, PS4 and PSV, that is a lot of content they're allowed to play on a single subscription.

Around the Network
greenmedic88 said:
DerNebel said:

Less than 50% could mean a lot of things. 25% is less than 50% although I don't think it's that low.

I also figure that the majority of PSV buyers were either heavy Playstation brand consumers (who have owned everything PS), uber gadget geeks who buy all sorts of portable devices and the smallest group being PS4 owners who wanted the PSV for the "satellite" use functions. 

Although if you think about it any PS+ subscribers should also be potential PSV buyers since their subscription gives them full access to quite a few good PSV games. I'm not convinced Sony marketing is pushing that value proposition as much as they should. If one owns a PS3, PS4 and PSV, that is a lot of content they're allowed to play on a single subscription.

Well true it could mean alot, it all depends on what the PS4 has sold by now. I'd say that it's between 45-50% at the moment, so 2.5mil PS4 owners that also have a Vita out of 5-5.5mil PS4 owners overall.

theprof00 said:
Kasz216 said:
Ssenkahdavic said:

60% of PS4 owners have Vitas. Well obviously they were not all purchased with it, so most had one beforehand. Not surprising really. That would be like saying "OMG ITS BAD that 60% of Xone owners also own an Xbox. Or that 60% of PS4 owners also own a PS3." This really means nothing.

I disagree, the difference with the 360 and the PS4 is... they've sold way more.  Vita's sales lead the PS4's since it launched first.... and there are so few Vita's out there, it more or less tells you that the current PS4 buyers are disporportionatly people who see Playstation as a "Lifestyle" brand.

When generally, seeing the spectucular sellouts we are now, you'd expect there to be a much higher "general gamer" mix that mostly has shunned the Vita.

A lower loyalist rate at launch is actually a better sign because it shows better base demand, as other secondary market indicators have their own issues.

That said, i'm not too concerned.   It's just funny how positive PR and things people see as positive should probably be seen as negative and vice versa.  This is just trying to push Vita... and quite honestly, if you have a PS4 and PS+... why not own one?

It probably means nothing, but if PS4 sales do hit a steeper slope then expected... look back at this number.

Thing is, if everyone is always complaining that psfans dominate the internet, then there shouldn't be any problem. PS4 will logically dominate sales so long as psfan = sale

I'd think it'd depend on the site, but i don't visit any other game sites...

Outside that, only if you argue that the internet is representative of the general population... and more specifically, internet forum goers.

Which would be like argueing that you can get a great cross sample of all football fans by going on football websites.

That's why generally internet consumer research realizes this, and tends to focus on more broad consumer things such as Twitter... and even then, doesn't really measure how much things are measured vs each other, but instead measures the increase or decrease of the brand being talked about.

I mean hell, if we took this website as any indication... you'd think the Wii U was as popular as the Wii, as it's not like Ninetndo traffic has decreased.  Wii U gets way more play then say, the simialary poor selling Vita.  (who fans haven't exactly helped.)

Which additionally, it's worth noting that this specific cross section seems to favor Playstation fans who own vitas, who themselves are small subsection of Sony fans.

Like I said, I wouldn't read much into it... but if you did want to read something into it.  I'd think you'd have to see it as abd.

Kasz216 said:
theprof00 said:
Kasz216 said:
Ssenkahdavic said:

60% of PS4 owners have Vitas. Well obviously they were not all purchased with it, so most had one beforehand. Not surprising really. That would be like saying "OMG ITS BAD that 60% of Xone owners also own an Xbox. Or that 60% of PS4 owners also own a PS3." This really means nothing.

I disagree, the difference with the 360 and the PS4 is... they've sold way more.  Vita's sales lead the PS4's since it launched first.... and there are so few Vita's out there, it more or less tells you that the current PS4 buyers are disporportionatly people who see Playstation as a "Lifestyle" brand.

When generally, seeing the spectucular sellouts we are now, you'd expect there to be a much higher "general gamer" mix that mostly has shunned the Vita.

A lower loyalist rate at launch is actually a better sign because it shows better base demand, as other secondary market indicators have their own issues.

That said, i'm not too concerned.   It's just funny how positive PR and things people see as positive should probably be seen as negative and vice versa.  This is just trying to push Vita... and quite honestly, if you have a PS4 and PS+... why not own one?

It probably means nothing, but if PS4 sales do hit a steeper slope then expected... look back at this number.

Thing is, if everyone is always complaining that psfans dominate the internet, then there shouldn't be any problem. PS4 will logically dominate sales so long as psfan = sale

I'd think it'd depend on the site, but i don't visit any other game sites...

Outside that, only if you argue that the internet is representative of the general population... and more specifically, internet forum goers.

Which would be like argueing that you can get a great cross sample of all football fans by going on football websites.

That's why generally internet consumer research realizes this, and tends to focus on more broad consumer things such as Twitter... and even then, doesn't really measure how much things are measured vs each other, but instead measures the increase or decrease of the brand being talked about.

I mean hell, if we took this website as any indication... you'd think the Wii U was as popular as the Wii, as it's not like Ninetndo traffic has decreased.  Wii U gets way more play then say, the simialary poor selling Vita.  (who fans haven't exactly helped.)

Which additionally, it's worth noting that this specific cross section seems to favor Playstation fans who own vitas, who themselves are small subsection of Sony fans.

Like I said, I wouldn't read much into it... but if you did want to read something into it.  I'd think you'd have to see it as abd.

Yeah, I was just making a joke about the forum-goers. playstation does actually trend higher on all social media outlets now that you've pointed it out though. As far as general public? Hmmm it would be hard to say. I know people who own an xbox and literally only use it for kinect. They've never talked about it in years in any form whereupon I saw it in their living rooms.

greenmedic88 said:
WagnerPaiva said:

I'd curb your enthusiasm for that feature; it's only for games that specifically use that function. As far as I'm aware, there aren't any to date. 

Currently, the best reason to have both is for PS4 remote play, which is a pretty good reason by itself. 

Actually, I meant Remote Play, sorry about that =D

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Mnementh said:
fleischr said:
Off topic, but I wonder how many WiiU owners also have 3DS?

Probably also around 2/3, but surely not one in three 3DS-owners has a WiiU (obviously). So while the percentage of Vita-owners also owning a PS4 will increase, but the number for PS4-owners that also own a Vita will strongly decrease, I assume it will be other way around for 3DS and WiiU. You can see which system of each manufacturer is successful and which not.

I think that more than that, like 90% of them, you gotta be a pretty hardcore Nintendo fan to own a WiiU.