By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Tropical Freeze is massive

osed125 said:
spurgeonryan said:
This uncompressed thing. What is the difference?

Have you ever used WinRar or 7zip? Before you extract the file, that's what's called a compressed file. When you extract those files, it is uncompressed. Compressed files are smaller in size.

This isn't exactly the same as what developers do with game files, but you get the idea.

That type of compression does little or nothing to big game assets like audio and fmvs tho, compressed video to fit on dvd's or game disks normally severely affects quality as it is impossible to reverse unlike unraring a file on your PC.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

wow

I have high hopes for that game

I LOVE ICELAND!

the things that take up the most amount of space are

High Resolution Textures, increasing the texture (Mario also uses a lot of flat textures, and reuses the same textures a lot, it looks good though).
It's more complicated than this, but just increasing the texture resolution from 512x512 to 2048x2048 can increase the size by 6x. 

Uncompressed Audio
FMV's with Uncompressed taking even more.

There are many 10+ gb games that are shorter than super mario world.

Since I preordered the retail version, I hope that doesn't mean long loading times. Can the Wii U cache on the flash memory, if there is enough available?

Woah, im suprised its that big.

Just like i was suprised 3Dworld is only 1.7GB - thats alot of content packed in.

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

Around the Network

Looks like Retro really Cranked up their efforts and kept everything uncompressed....maybe....

That Wii Fit is larger SM3DW should tell you something about size and quality of content.  Is DKTF full of video cutscenes?

My 8th gen collection

Wow.

ganoncrotch said:
osed125 said:

Have you ever used WinRar or 7zip? Before you extract the file, that's what's called a compressed file. When you extract those files, it is uncompressed. Compressed files are smaller in size.

This isn't exactly the same as what developers do with game files, but you get the idea.

That type of compression does little or nothing to big game assets like audio and fmvs tho, compressed video to fit on dvd's or game disks normally severely affects quality as it is impossible to reverse unlike unraring a file on your PC.

Oh yeah I know that. I just think is easier to explain using normal RAR files It is a similar concept

Nintendo and PC gamer

That's because DK is the 8GB gorilla in the room.

But really isn't this game supposed to be fully rendered in 3D even though it's played from a side-scrolling perspective? That might be the reason.

And just compare it to a game like NSMB U, which from a technical standpoint is almost no different from the original NSMB on DS with the exception of its shiny coat of HD paint.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.