By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo makes better video games than everyone else

AZWification said:

A day later and people are still falling for Rol's trap.. Fascinating.

funny, to be more clear.

Click HERE and be happy 

Around the Network
MegaManX said:
HylianSwordsman said:

MegaManX said:
Do they make the best platformer and kart racing, definately the latter mostly the former, there are many great platform games made by others.

Do they make the best FPS? No
Third Person Shooter? No
Racing Game? Kart racers count as racing games so yes
Puzzle Game? Just about
RPG? Yes
Light Gun/Rail Shooter? Yes
RTS? No
MMORPG? No
Fighting Game? Yes
Sandbox Game? No
Beat Em Up? No
Run and Gun? No
Vertical/Horizontal Shooter? No
Arcade Games/Arcade Style? Yes
Party Games? Yes
Text/Point and Click Adventures? No
Survival Horror? No
Stealth Game? No
City Building/Management Sims-ish? No
Strategy? Yes
Sports? Are you fucking kidding me of course they do
Hack and Slash? No
Tower Defense? No

Can't think of any other genres but Nintendo has great Party games (if you don't consider playing online party games), best Kart racers and great platform games but there are plenty of great platformers over the years.

Oops I forgot Action/Adventure: Yes

And Life Sim: Holy shit Animal Crossing is practically its own genre

Fixed.

You can't seperate Mario Kart from other racing games just for the sake of your point. Puzzle games, after Tetris, goes to Dr. Mario on NES and Game Boy. RPG's goes to Pokemon in a brutal massacre. Light gun games goes to Duck Hunt. Fighting games goes to Super Smash Bros Brawl, the best selling fighting game of all time. Melee was only beaten by Tekken 3, so there's no doubt of the strength of the series. Before the NES, Nintendo was the king of the arcade. That's where Mario got his start after all. Strategy, assuming you're not talking about RTS games since you separated those, would go to Pikmin, or Fire Emblem. And sports, are you kidding? Best selling game of all time, Wii Sports. Next best selling sports game? Wii Sports Resort. Then Wii Fit, but I suppose you'd put that in fitness games. No wonder they're making a whole new business out of it. After that? Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games. Only then do we see FIFA. And how could you forget Action/Adventure? Motherfucking Zelda motherfucker. And Animal Crossing is just an example of Nintendo practically inventing genres. Sure there were things like it before that, but Animal Crossing is the only one that anyone gives a shit about now. I could argue it for more genres, but it'd be mostly opinion, and not using the logic of the OP, which isn't the best, but then you DID decide to respond to it so I guess you thought it was good enough to deserve a response.

God, Rol, you need to do more of these. I love/hate you for them so much. XD

Kart racing are one sub genre of racing games, I give kart racing to Nintendo but I hardly give the genre to them, Gran Turismo, Need for Speed, Forza, Nascar are all highly acclaimed games that have sold million and are more realistic simulation of racers as opposed to rubber band MK AI.  

Tetris wasn't developed by Nintendo hence why it's appeared on nearly every console and handheld.  Dr. Mario is ok, but hardly innovative and nowhere near the first in the genre.  

Pokemon is not developed by Nintendo so they can't be credited with making the "best" RPG, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star, lots of others are predate pokemon, even the Mario RPG games are often farmed out to other companies, not that they compete with the best RPG's anyway.

Duck Hunt is hardly the definitive light gun shooter.  Namco and Sega with Time Crisis and House of the Dead series respecitively are bigger franchises than one pack in game that was made to sell an accessory from 25 years ago.  If you played the first screen of Duck Hunt, you've seen the entire game.  

Again Smash Brothers, fine series but not the definitive fighting games.  Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Soul Calibur have done more for the genre.

Nintendo was the king of the arcade?  Name one game outside Donkey Kong that was big in the arcade.  Nothing to rival what Atari, Namco, Midway, and Sega did from the 70-90's for arcades, Pac-Man nuff said.  Nintendo wouldn't exist if these companies didn't advance modern games.  

Strategy, not really my thing, I know there are lots like Command and Conquer and the like on PC where they do it better.  Fire Emblem is great, though they get repetitive and the latest Pikmin did not sell well.  And turned base strategy is only one type of strategy game, hardly definitive of Nintendo.

Wii Sports was a bundled game of simplistic sporting events, it was hardly definitive of any one sport, a simple tennis, bowling and boxing game is not deep by any stretch, pick a sport, Soccer=Fifa, Football= Madden, etc, the Wii sports brand is a one or two off series that was made as simplistic as possible for a widest audience at the expense of any skill required to win, that and combined with being bundled dont compare to yearly installments or the evolution of sports game in general since the 1st gen.  If you only played Nintendo than you wouldn't have played a sports game until the 2006, come on!

Animal Crossing does well, so does the Sims.

LOZ is great, but the action adventure genre is so huge, it can include everything from Elder Scrolls, Fallout, etc  Zelda is formulaic, the graphics have improved, and they usually add a new gimmick but it's the same visit dungeon, get item, kill boss, rinse and repeat.  

I give Nintendo kart racing and party games, but even platformers outside of Mario and DKC (made by retro or rare) have plenty of quality releases over the years from Sonic to Tomb Raider, Prince of Persia etc.  

And look at all the other genres you failed to mention, at least half you couldn't name one and some of the ones you did light Light Gun games are really stretching.  

Wow, do you actually think this? It's as Nintendo as Mario or Zelda.

Also you missed the entire point of the thread, yet again. We're using Rol's logic here. I win :p

Only if you say so.

Locknuts said:
DucksUnlimited said:

At least JL's predictions were based on something objective. This thread is 100% opinion and can in no way be associated with "truth." But even if it could, using the popularity of the thread as an argument for it being truthful is ridiculous.

. A prediction of insane sales numbers is no more objective than a statement which is backed up by metacritic and a large part of the gaming community. Clearly the thread is designed to be antagonistic, and so the fact that it's getting bites means that people see truth in it. Without getting too philosophical about truth and objectivity, I stand by my statement.

If you think that's true then you don't have the faintest clue about what being objective is. Metacritic is a compilation of opinions, nothing more (and even then, the PS3 had a higher metacritic average regarding exclusives than the Wii so I'm not sure why you think metacritic supports your argument.)

There are Nintendo doom threads every day that go way beyond the post count in this thread. Are those threads truthful? The Westboro Baptist church gets a lot of attention, is their merit to the things they say? This thread has a lot of posts because it gives fanboys something to argue with each other about. Truth has nothing to do with it. There are so many examples of completely untruthful things getting a lot of attention and getting people talking that completely contradict your reasoning. I honestly can't see how you think popularity = truth.

You can stand by your statements all you want, but they are nonsense either way.

Kid Icarus: Uprising > Watch Dogs/Resident Evil/Kingdom Hearts/Grand Theft Auto/etc. > Uncharted/etc.

Around the Network
DucksUnlimited said:
Locknuts said:
DucksUnlimited said:

At least JL's predictions were based on something objective. This thread is 100% opinion and can in no way be associated with "truth." But even if it could, using the popularity of the thread as an argument for it being truthful is ridiculous.

. A prediction of insane sales numbers is no more objective than a statement which is backed up by metacritic and a large part of the gaming community. Clearly the thread is designed to be antagonistic, and so the fact that it's getting bites means that people see truth in it. Without getting too philosophical about truth and objectivity, I stand by my statement.

If you think that's true then you don't have the faintest clue about what being objective is. Metacritic is a compilation of opinions, nothing more (and even then, the PS3 had a higher metacritic average regarding exclusives than the Wii so I'm not sure why you think metacritic supports your argument.)

There are Nintendo doom threads every day that go way beyond the post count in this thread. Are those threads truthful? The Westboro Baptist church gets a lot of attention, is their merit to the things they say? This thread has a lot of posts because it gives fanboys something to argue with each other about. Truth has nothing to do with it. There are so many examples of completely untruthful things getting a lot of attention and getting people talking that completely contradict your reasoning. I honestly can't see how you think popularity = truth.

You can stand by your statements all you want, but they are nonsense either way.

I never said that Metacritic is objective. I said neither a speculation thread nor the statement that 'Nintendo makes the best games' is objective. Despite it being a collection of opinions, that Metacritic backs Rol's statement is pretty obvious to me though. When looking at all time best scores an astonishing number of games rated 90-99 are published by Nintendo. Cherry picking Nintendo's worst generation seems a little silly to me, especially when they're already off to a better start in terms of game quality this generation.

That said, getting into what is truthful and what isn't will get very messy very quickly. A good example is the 'conversation' we are having right now. I believe that I am telling the truth and you do not. This is because truth is subjective. Popluar opinions have often been cited as truth until a new popular opinion took its place. I'll never convince you of that though and so you will continue to see my opinion as nonsense even though others might agree with me.

Just to be clear though, all I originally said was: antagonistic thread + some truth = bites. I never said more truth = more pages. That was your assumption, as was the need for objectivity in a discussion about videogames, which are creative works and therefore inherently subjective.

MegaManX said:
generic-user-1 said:
MegaManX said:
Do they make the best platformer and kart racing, definately the latter mostly the former, there are many great platform games made by others.

Do they make the best FPS? No
Third Person Shooter? No
Racing Game? No
Puzzle Game? No
RPG? No
Light Gun/Rail Shooter? No
RTS? No
MMORPG? No
Fighting Game? No
Sandbox Game? No
Beat Em Up? No
Run and Gun? No
Vertical/Horizontal Shooter? No
Arcade Games/Arcade Style? No
Party Games? Sure
Text/Point and Click Adventures? No
Survival Horror? No
Stealth Game? No
City Building/Management Sims-ish? No
Strategy? No
Sports? No
Hack and Slash? No
Tower Defense? No

Can't think of any other genres but Nintendo has great Party games (if you don't consider playing online party games), best Kart racers and great platform games but there are plenty of great platformers over the years.

well sony and m$ are the best in what genre? cashburning an spying?

and i would says nintendo had the best jrpg last gen. Xenoblade chronicles was realy realy good. atlus is doing fine too, close call.

I wasn't implying that Sony or MS develop the best in any genre, that would be as subjective as the OP.  But there are tons of developers out there who do just about every one of those genres better than Nintendo, but to be honest most of those genres N doesn't even touch, so unless you live on a diet of kart racers, party games and platformers, I don't know how you could look at N as the best, consistant in quality for the most part but not the best. 

As far as Xenoblade Chronicles, weren't they developed by Monolift Soft, not Nintendo.  I think the OP was stating N makes the best games but this isn't one they made.  They published it but that doesn't mean they had any artistic input, I could be wrong on this particular example, but N has other studios produce games based on their franchises, but while they may be their characters the game is not made by Nintendo, so I wouldn't count it as anything other than a N exclusive.  The credit goes to the developer for making the game.  Same can be said for the DKC brand, with either Retro or Rare making them.  

Also isn't XC part of the Xenosaga series, maybe a spinoff but it's not an exclusive N franchise, at least it wasn't until recently.  

Finally there are many geners I listed and even more if you want to break them down further or include some others I didn't.  And for the most part N doesn't touch most of them, so I fail to see how Nintendo is the best.  They stick with what they know but they haven't branched out in genres much and that limits their appeal to fans that aren't into platformers or kart racers.  

I guess it's how you want to define it, just because Sony or N or MS owns a subsidiary or has a devleoper make exclusives for their systems, doesn't make it their game, so I wouldn't count the DKC brand anymore as made by Nintendo as I would the Last of Us or Jak and Daxter which were made by Naught Dog, though I could be wrong since I don't pay a lot of attention to that side of gaming and if someone smarter than I can correct me if I'm wrong, I'd be happy to be corrected.  

Nintendo owns Monolith Soft which makes them part of Nintendo so Xenoblade Is a Nintendo game just like Sony owns Naughty Dog which means Uncharted is a Sony game.

And no Xenoblade isnt part of Xenosaga, maybe a spiritual successor which is just a game made the same people and has similarities. U wouldnt call Perfect Dark part of Goldeneye just because the were both FPS made by Rare.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

leo-j said:
Uncharted was a franchise that started on the ps3.... It just became a runaway success selling over 20 million copies as a franchise...... And gran turismo 5 sold more than 11 million copies.. Ur telling me Mario kart wii sold more

A single insallment of Mario Kart (Wii) sold 34 + million.... and it´s still selling. The franchised surpassed 100 million copies sold.

Naughty Dog disagrees.

Top 10 Games of All Time

1. The Last of Us, 2. Journey, 3. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, 4. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, 5. Bioshock Infinite, 6. Zelda: Twilight Princess, 7. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, 8. Super Smash Bros. Brawl, 9. Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword, 10. Starcraft

Add me on PSN. Thanks.

Good for you. For me, always was and always will be:

3d party >>>>>>>> everything else