By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii U - 2013 vs 2014 sales comparison (VG Chartz) *updated Week 5

Is this US numbers? If so, it should say so in the title

Around the Network
mjo011 said:

Its not... Its global... Who cares about US anyway...?

Should be up a fair bit yoy, it's not exactly a challenging baseline to beat from 2013.

eyeofcore said:
mjo011 said:

Its not... Its global... Who cares about US anyway...?

The sales were so low that I actually thought it was. Lol

So far so good then im interested to see how 2014 plays out for wii u. Im hoping for at least 10 million units end of 2014

Around the Network

Selling better than in 2013 shouldn't really be a problem considering how the Wii U was dead in the water until October or so.  Titles like Smash Bros 4 and Mario Kart 8 are going to help a lot. Let's not forget improved marketing. That would also help.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

rik said:
So far so good then im interested to see how 2014 plays out for wii u. Im hoping for at least 10 million units end of 2014

I also hope... Worst case scenario is that Wii U reaches "just" 8 million units by end of 2014 while 10 million is not out of the question and 12 million is also possible in case some small "miracle" happens.

pezus said:
eyeofcore said:
pezus said:
Man, it's almost hard to believe how terrible 2013 was for WiiU. Only 7 weeks out of 52 over 100k. I wonder if it can top it this year

Agreed... I expect at least 10 weeks over 100K and why are you wondering about 2014 topping 2013? It will... Wii U has bunch of exclusives for 2014, you got Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros U, Yarn Yoshi, Bayonetta 2, Monolith Soft's X, Hyrule Warriors, FAST Racing Neo... Some major third party games for 2014 like The LEGO Movie Video Game, LEGO: The Hobbit, Watch Dogs, Project CARS, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Child Of Light...

It has now a well enstablished library with games like Zombi U, Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros U(+New Super Luigi U DLC), The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate, LEGO City Undercover, Rayman Legends, Wii Party U, Sonic: Lost World, Assassin Creed IV: Black Flag, Call Of Duty: Ghost, Disney Infinity, Resident Evil Revelations...

Then you have backward compatibility with Wii software/library/games thus you can play classics like Super Mario Galaxy 1 and Super Mario Galaxy 2, Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition, Mad World, Okami, No More Heroes 1, No More Heroes 2, Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower...

I meant I wonder if it can go 100k+ for more than 7 weeks this time. Donkey Kong won't do it, Yoshi won't do it, Bayonetta won't do it, X won't do it, Hyrule Warriors won't do it etc. Only games that could push it from 30k to 100k+ for a week or more are MK8 and Smash, I think. And Smash might launch just before the holidays, so in reality it could be only on MK8 to improve the number of weeks over 100k over last year.

There's no need to sell me on its library. I probably know more about its games than most people out there. Still doesn't change the fact that this year doesn't begin well.

Okay... It will go a few more weeks over 100K+ than last year...

How can you be sure Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze won't do it? I mean, you see in Week 2 and Week 3 of 2014 are considerably better than Week 2 and Week 3 in 2013 by a good margin thus if things continue to go for the better then DKCTF has a chance to make Wii U sales break 100K+ for one week... Yoshi could do it also do it depending on when its released... Don't underestimate Hyrule Warriors... Musou games are very popular in Japan and have presence in USA and Europe so it has a good chance for week or two to make it break 100K+... X won't do it? Don't make me laugh... It is like saying Final Fantasy/good JRPG game won't make PlayStation 4 go over 100/200K+ for one or two weeks.

What fact? Fact that this year indeed begun well while you try to damage control that fact? Are you ignoring the fact that Wii U sales improved vastly in Week 2 and 3 of 2014 compared to 2013 and that only Week 1 of 2014 was slightly worse than one of 2013 yet when we combine sales of those three weeks of 2013 and 2014 then we see that 2014 is ahead by almost 10% and that is a noticeable jump in sales.

Problem is that people like you are failing to see the value... I would take Wii U any day over PlayStation 4 because the value is just too good to be true.

I can get complete experience from Nintendo for just 300$ while I would need to spend 510$ on Sony or 620 on Microsoft route before having actual fun.

It did about 3.2 Million in 2013.
I guess and hope 2014 will almost double this number. Something like 5.5-6.0 Million should be doable. But still a freaking bad number -.-
With that it at least should outsell X360 in 2014 and coming close to PS3.
But looking at XBone and PS4 ... well ... it does not deserve these numbers...

eyeofcore said:
pezus said:
Man, it's almost hard to believe how terrible 2013 was for WiiU. Only 7 weeks out of 52 over 100k. I wonder if it can top it this year

Agreed... I expect at least 10 weeks over 100K and why are you wondering about 2014 topping 2013? It will... Wii U has bunch of exclusives for 2014, you got Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros U, Yarn Yoshi, Bayonetta 2, Monolith Soft's X, Hyrule Warriors, FAST Racing Neo... Some major third party games for 2014 like The LEGO Movie Video Game, LEGO: The Hobbit, Watch Dogs, Project CARS, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Child Of Light...

It has now a well enstablished library with games like Zombi U, Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros U(+New Super Luigi U DLC), The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate, LEGO City Undercover, Rayman Legends, Wii Party U, Sonic: Lost World, Assassin Creed IV: Black Flag, Call Of Duty: Ghost, Disney Infinity, Resident Evil Revelations...

Then you have backward compatibility with Wii software/library/games thus you can play classics like Super Mario Galaxy 1 and Super Mario Galaxy 2, Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition, Mad World, Okami, No More Heroes 1, No More Heroes 2, Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower...

Your 2nd and 3rd paragraphs were also true in 2013 so they don't help make the case, but anyway sure I think it will sell more in 2014.

My 8th gen collection