By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii U - 2013 vs 2014 sales comparison (VG Chartz) *updated Week 5

eyeofcore said:

pezus said:

X is not remotely comparable to FF...

Monolith Soft was created by former Square Soft employees that worked on Final Fantasy series, Chrono Trigger and Cross, Front Mission, etc... Xenoblade Chronicles is considered to be one of the best RPG of seventh generation with being nominated and winning several awards in category of RPG's being proclaimed as best RPG of the year. Tetsuya Takahashi and Yasuyuki Honne are on of key people of Monolith Soft also Monolith Soft assists Nintendo in game development.

Xenoblade Chronicles holds 92 out of a 100, Final Fantasy XIII holds 82/83 out of a 100, Final Fantasy XIII-2 holds 79 out of a 100 on Metacritic and I wonder how Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII will perform and there is already a review from Official Xbox Magazine which gives it 70 out of a100.

And you're wrong about those prices. Plenty of good F2P games on PS4 where you can have great fun (where is that $510 coming from?). Getting PS Plus as well for $50 would ensure fun for a year (and more games, for free, than Nintendo releases for its consoles per year).

Nope... Read it again. Price Of A Console + Price Of a Subcription + Price Of A Single Game

Free 2 Play are games, but they aren't fully fledged or complete games, they are like those shareware games, also those games aren't "free" because if they were free then you would't be paying anything and paying a subscription to get those games means that they aren't free. That way of thinking is killing Vita, because of that developers don't bother to make games for Vita.

All those free games will sooner or later make people buy less games...

Edit: Btw, you should have the totals thus far in the OP too, so this year is easier to compare to last year.

On these two points:

1. Whilst I agree Xenoblade was a much better game, there is no doubt which franchise and developer holds more influence with the general consumer. The Final Fantasy name is still a strong one and is the only JRPG series to really be relevent (not including Pokemon which is its own phenomenon) outside the niche that most JRPGs find themselves in. The FFXIII series, even with the poor reviews (and my disdain) has topped 10 million sales. Xenoblade unfortunately has only managed <1 million.

2. You don't need a subscription to play free 2 play games on PS4. You could avoid the subscription altogether and still play games like Planetside 2. And you sound like someone who's never played a decent F2P game, they're not like the crap you get on mobiles or just shareware. There are plenty of good quality F2P games out there with a decent number of them on PS4. Planetside 2 and War Thunder come to mind, not to mention all the decent MMOs. You could invest hours of fun in those games and not pay a thing.

Around the Network
Scoobes said:
eyeofcore said:

pezus said:

X is not remotely comparable to FF...

Monolith Soft was created by former Square Soft employees that worked on Final Fantasy series, Chrono Trigger and Cross, Front Mission, etc... Xenoblade Chronicles is considered to be one of the best RPG of seventh generation with being nominated and winning several awards in category of RPG's being proclaimed as best RPG of the year. Tetsuya Takahashi and Yasuyuki Honne are on of key people of Monolith Soft also Monolith Soft assists Nintendo in game development.

Xenoblade Chronicles holds 92 out of a 100, Final Fantasy XIII holds 82/83 out of a 100, Final Fantasy XIII-2 holds 79 out of a 100 on Metacritic and I wonder how Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII will perform and there is already a review from Official Xbox Magazine which gives it 70 out of a100.

And you're wrong about those prices. Plenty of good F2P games on PS4 where you can have great fun (where is that $510 coming from?). Getting PS Plus as well for $50 would ensure fun for a year (and more games, for free, than Nintendo releases for its consoles per year).

Nope... Read it again. Price Of A Console + Price Of a Subcription + Price Of A Single Game

Free 2 Play are games, but they aren't fully fledged or complete games, they are like those shareware games, also those games aren't "free" because if they were free then you would't be paying anything and paying a subscription to get those games means that they aren't free. That way of thinking is killing Vita, because of that developers don't bother to make games for Vita.

All those free games will sooner or later make people buy less games...

Edit: Btw, you should have the totals thus far in the OP too, so this year is easier to compare to last year.

On these two points:

1. Whilst I agree Xenoblade was a much better game, there is no doubt which franchise and developer holds more influence with the general consumer. The Final Fantasy name is still a strong one and is the only JRPG series to really be relevent (not including Pokemon which is its own phenomenon) outside the niche that most JRPGs find themselves in. The FFXIII series, even with the poor reviews (and my disdain) has topped 10 million sales. Xenoblade unfortunately has only managed <1 million.

All copies of Xenoblade Chronicles were sold, there are no new copies available since it was in a limited run.

Final Fantasy name has less influence and reputation day by day and Lightning Retunrs: Final Fantasy XIII will sadly continue that trend. It seems Final Fantasy as a series losts its way and that is perhaps a good thing as something else would replace its place, something better or worse. We just need to wait and see the outcome.

Many people grew up with Pokemon... Even I. I watched the anime, also Dragon Ball Z... Pokemon and Dragon Ball were peak of anime in my country which is kinda sad it never went main stream. :/

2. You don't need a subscription to play free 2 play games on PS4. You could avoid the subscription altogether and still play games like Planetside 2. And you sound like someone who's never played a decent F2P game, they're not like the crap you get on mobiles or just shareware. There are plenty of good quality F2P games out there with a decent number of them on PS4. Planetside 2 and War Thunder come to mind, not to mention all the decent MMOs. You could invest hours of fun in those games and not pay a thing.

You are right... There are just a few good F2P games yet for me F2P is repulsive to me. I don't feel like I am getting a full packaged game because it is F2P so I am basically in a loop. I wish developers of those F2P games release a retail/digital version of game that is complete.

Mummelmann said:

snip

Something tells me that you've missed debating in the UNITY thread. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Updated to Week 5...

Week 1 - Week 5 2013; 278539
Week 1 - Week 5 2014: 318509
Difference: 14.3+ %

Notable increase in sales compared to previous year without any notable releases...

15% increse trend with virtually no game released is cool

I hope it is 30% up YoY before 2015 reaches us

Around the Network
supernihilist said:

If it goes up to 30% percent then it could reach 10 million before 2015...

eyeofcore said:
supernihilist said:

yeah i hope 11M shipped by DEC 31st 2014

eyeofcore said:
supernihilist said:

Actually if it ends 30% up YoY that would put it a little short of 10 million.

2013-3.23 million, LTD-5.48 million

2014-4.2 million, LTD-9.68 million

But personally I think up 50% YoY is a possibility putting it at 2014-4.85 million and LTD-10.33 million.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
eyeofcore said:
supernihilist said:

But personally I think up 50% YoY is a possibility putting it at 2014-4.85 million and LTD-10.33 million.

100% is possible 2.  most of the summer we will see up 100%+ YOY.   u have to be out of ur mind if u think the wii u with mk would sell
lss thn 30k in june...

generic-user-1 said:
zorg1000 said:
eyeofcore said:
supernihilist said:

100% is possible 2.  most of the summer we will see up 100%+ YOY.   u have to be out of ur mind if u think the wii u with mk would sell
lss thn 30k in june...

Who said anything about 30k in June?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.