By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why are eshop games so expensive?

FinalFantasyXIII said:
MDMAlliance said:
d21lewis said:
kekrot said:

Since OP mentioned a third party title, they choose themselves whatever they want their game to cost. Nintendo doesn't dictate it. This applies also to indies even though Nintendo is the publisher.

I guess (I hope) it's also the same on PS and Xbox.

Edit: On the topic of Nintendo games which stays premium for years; if there is value in a brand or game, people will pay for it. 

I'm not 100% sure about that.  I remember when the Wii VC came out and the pricing was something like:

N64 games = $10

Super Nes games = $8

Nes games = $5

Regardless of who made them.  I was kinda pissed because Sonic the Hedgehog or some shit was available on Xbox 360 with additional content in HD for like $5 and it was like $8 on Wii VC with absolutely nothing changed from the Genesis version.  I vaguely recall other instances where companies wanted to price their games at some other price as well but Nintendo wouldn't let them....or I could be thinking about Microsoft.  I drink a lot.

That's different because the VC has to run through an emulator program, so Nintendo most likely sets the price for those due to that fact.

edit: Also, the whole thing where third parties get to choose the pricing on the eShop is relatively new.  Gunman Clive being $1.99 is evident of this.  

Did you know people make emulators for free+donations. Now Nintendo a buidness dont get me wrong but uhm...they charge more than anyone.

The thing is a lot of free emulators are buggie as hell, so the emulation you get from companies is much better. You get what you pay for in the end.

Around the Network
Devil_Survivor said:
FinalFantasyXIII said:
MDMAlliance said:
d21lewis said:
kekrot said:

Since OP mentioned a third party title, they choose themselves whatever they want their game to cost. Nintendo doesn't dictate it. This applies also to indies even though Nintendo is the publisher.

Edit: On the topic of Nintendo games which stays premium for years; if there is value in a brand or game, people will pay for it. 

I'm not 100% sure about that.  I remember when the Wii VC came out and the pricing was something like:

N64 games = $10

Super Nes games = $8

Nes games = $5

Regardless of who made them.  I was kinda pissed because Sonic the Hedgehog or some shit was available on Xbox 360 with additional content in HD for like $5 and it was like $8 on Wii VC with absolutely nothing changed from the Genesis version.  I vaguely recall other instances where companies wanted to price their games at some other price as well but Nintendo wouldn't let them....or I could be thinking about Microsoft.  I drink a lot.

That's different because the VC has to run through an emulator program, so Nintendo most likely sets the price for those due to that fact.

edit: Also, the whole thing where third parties get to choose the pricing on the eShop is relatively new.  Gunman Clive being $1.99 is evident of this.  

Did you know people make emulators for free+donations. Now Nintendo a buidness dont get me wrong but uhm...they charge more than anyone.

The thing is a lot of free emulators are buggie as hell, so the emulation you get from companies is much better. You get what you pay for in the end.

So faking an entire gaming console in software instead of on hardware is a more intensive process? No shit. Guess what else the WIi/Wii U emulators are no better than what's out there on PC as emulators running at the same mghz of those Wii/Wii u cpu speeds. haha you payin for non legit titles I can prove it to you but I dont think I'll clue you in you know why? You don't deserve to know, and ignorance is bliss son. I won't destroy your dreams that Nintendo makes some superior emulator. You can keep that dream alive ha! That is freaking hilarious, you know how much CPU you need to double triple and quadruple the speed of an emulator so that the difficult calculations still can be rendered 100% ah hahaha shit a Wii or Wii U cpu is not enough. I could tell you but you know more than I so you're the man and I'm 100% wrong about everything P: Go play your "real/authentic" emulated title from Nintendo I love you man. That marketing got to you, because you get fake non 100 percent emulation in the end. Some games most people won't notice the details but there are some games that you can go red up about emulators and the emulation process before you assume Nintendo makes the best emulators on the planet because they're Nintendo.

For all those saying "its Nintendo what do you expect"
The developer sets the price for their eShop games.

The same thing happens on all consoles, Angry Birds: Star Wars is £30 on the PS4 in the UK, for a game that is a couple of £ on the app store.

It must be the way the developers view the console ecosystem. Sell high and sell a few on consoles VS sell low and sell loads on mobile.

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

FinalFantasyXIII said:
Devil_Survivor said:

So faking an entire gaming console in software instead of on hardware is a more intensive process? No shit. Guess what else the WIi/Wii U emulators are no better than what's out there on PC as emulators running at the same mghz of those Wii/Wii u cpu speeds. haha you payin for non legit titles I can prove it to you but I dont think I'll clue you in you know why? You don't deserve to know, and ignorance is bliss son. I won't destroy your dreams that Nintendo makes some superior emulator. You can keep that dream alive ha! That is freaking hilarious, you know how much CPU you need to double triple and quadruple the speed of an emulator so that the difficult calculations still can be rendered 100% ah hahaha shit a Wii or Wii U cpu is not enough. I could tell you but you know more than I so you're the man and I'm 100% wrong about everything P: Go play your "real/authentic" emulated title from Nintendo I love you man. That marketing got to you, because you get fake non 100 percent emulation in the end. Some games most people won't notice the details but there are some games that you can go red up about emulators and the emulation process before you assume Nintendo makes the best emulators on the planet because they're Nintendo.

So many claims

so little evidence.

Also, unless you learn to press the enter key occasionally, you're gonna have a bad time.

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

oniyide said:
J_Allard said:
Sony and MS are no different.

It will be a long time before games on the console networks are as cheap as Steam, Google Play, Apple, etc etc.

The answer to your question is Wii U owners have nowhere else to go for games than the eShop.

I disagree, while Sony and MS arent anywhere near as cheap as Steam, etc. they are still better than eshop as they have weekly sales all the time.

eShop has weekly reduced prices for a games. Sometimes for a limited time, sometimes permanently. Why people assume things about Nintendo-stuff instead of try to inform themselves?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Devil_Survivor said:
The 3DS eshop has price drop sales every week so I always look for those to pick up games I want at cheaper prices. I'm not sure about the Wii U but, you think there would be some on there too.

I've bought ACIII for 10 Euro on eShop, so yes, WiiU has it too.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

FinalFantasyXIII said:
Devil_Survivor said:
FinalFantasyXIII said:
MDMAlliance said:
d21lewis said:
kekrot said:

N64 games = $10

Super Nes games = $8

Nes games = $5

Oh look its a member of the PC master race and he is showing us his glorious superiority with his lack of proper punctuation and spelling. Got any other advice for us?

zorg1000 said:
osed125 said:

In the case of Nintendo games...well it's Nintendo, Mario Galaxy is still $50 in my country, and I know is similar in the U.S

As for 3rd party and indie games, well I guess they are taking advantage of the Eshop. I mean if Nintendo doesn't drop their prices, why should them? You can find some deals from time to time though, most indie games were $5 during the holidays, and big games were $20-$30 cheaper. 

Actually Galaxy is $20 here in the US

According to cablebox, before the Wii U launched many Wii games were still at full price. 

Nintendo and PC gamer

d21lewis said:
kekrot said:

N64 games = $10

Super Nes games = $8

Nes games = $5

Yes, it's right that VC titles has a fixed price, except in particular cases. EarthBound costs a little more in Europe because it's never been released here before, so Nintendo thinks it's appropriate to up the price a bit. Same with similar cases.

What I meant was with indie titles and, of course big third party publishers.

Edit: I bolded out some text you wrote, I remember that too good... Here in Europe it was the shitty 50hz version which is really, really slower, everyone can see (and especially hear) that it's much slower than the US and JP versions...

Yep.

osed125 said:
zorg1000 said:
osed125 said:

In the case of Nintendo games...well it's Nintendo, Mario Galaxy is still $50 in my country, and I know is similar in the U.S

As for 3rd party and indie games, well I guess they are taking advantage of the Eshop. I mean if Nintendo doesn't drop their prices, why should them? You can find some deals from time to time though, most indie games were $5 during the holidays, and big games were $20-$30 cheaper. 

Actually Galaxy is $20 here in the US

According to cablebox, before the Wii U launched many Wii games were still at full price. 

Mario Galaxy has been $20 since 2011

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.