By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why are eshop games so expensive?

The markets are different. On iOS people are used to paying less than 5 dollars for most of the games.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Around the Network

Since OP mentioned a third party title, they choose themselves whatever they want their game to cost. Nintendo doesn't dictate it. This applies also to indies even though Nintendo is the publisher.

I guess (I hope) it's also the same on PS and Xbox.

Edit: On the topic of Nintendo games which stays premium for years; if there is value in a brand or game, people will pay for it. 

Yep.

kekrot said:

Since OP mentioned a third party title, they choose themselves whatever they want their game to cost. Nintendo doesn't dictate it. This applies also to indies even though Nintendo is the publisher.

Edit: On the topic of Nintendo games which stays premium for years; if there is value in a brand or game, people will pay for it. 

I'm not 100% sure about that.  I remember when the Wii VC came out and the pricing was something like:

N64 games = $10

Super Nes games = $8

Nes games = $5

Regardless of who made them.  I was kinda pissed because Sonic the Hedgehog or some shit was available on Xbox 360 with additional content in HD for like $5 and it was like $8 on Wii VC with absolutely nothing changed from the Genesis version.  I vaguely recall other instances where companies wanted to price their games at some other price as well but Nintendo wouldn't let them....or I could be thinking about Microsoft.  I drink a lot.

I'd sell my soul if had one for a Nintendo game.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
kekrot said:

I'm not 100% sure about that.  I remember when the Wii VC came out and the pricing was something like:

N64 games = $10

Super Nes games = $8

Nes games = $5

Regardless of who made them.  I was kinda pissed because Sonic the Hedgehog or some shit was available on Xbox 360 with additional content in HD for like $5 and it was like $8 on Wii VC with absolutely nothing changed from the Genesis version.  I vaguely recall other instances where companies wanted to price their games at some other price as well but Nintendo wouldn't let them....or I could be thinking about Microsoft.  I drink a lot.

That's different because the VC has to run through an emulator program, so Nintendo most likely sets the price for those due to that fact.

edit: Also, the whole thing where third parties get to choose the pricing on the eShop is relatively new.  Gunman Clive being $1.99 is evident of this.  

MDMAlliance said:
d21lewis said:
kekrot said:

N64 games = $10

Super Nes games = $8

Nes games = $5

That's different because the VC has to run through an emulator program, so Nintendo most likely sets the price for those due to that fact.

edit: Also, the whole thing where third parties get to choose the pricing on the eShop is relatively new.  Gunman Clive being $1.99 is evident of this.  

Did you know people make emulators for free+donations. Now Nintendo a buidness dont get me wrong but uhm...they charge more than anyone.

osed125 said:

In the case of Nintendo games...well it's Nintendo, Mario Galaxy is still $50 in my country, and I know is similar in the U.S

As for 3rd party and indie games, well I guess they are taking advantage of the Eshop. I mean if Nintendo doesn't drop their prices, why should them? You can find some deals from time to time though, most indie games were $5 during the holidays, and big games were $20-$30 cheaper. 

Actually Galaxy is $20 here in the US

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
osed125 said:

In the case of Nintendo games...well it's Nintendo, Mario Galaxy is still $50 in my country, and I know is similar in the U.S

As for 3rd party and indie games, well I guess they are taking advantage of the Eshop. I mean if Nintendo doesn't drop their prices, why should them? You can find some deals from time to time though, most indie games were $5 during the holidays, and big games were $20-$30 cheaper. 

Actually Galaxy is $20 here in the US

They Nintendo should put that on the eshop why do they think i want to pay 20 or wait for it to ship. Rather have it now from e shop for 10 bux than ship it or what not get in car drive somewhere and hunt it down. Nintendo..Iwata I'm lookin at you staring into your pupils of lies and doom and staring into your cornia and saying wtf!

FinalFantasyXIII said:
MDMAlliance said:

Did you know people make emulators for free+donations. Now Nintendo a buidness dont get me wrong but uhm...they charge more than anyone.

This wasn't about how much Nintendo charges, but the fact that there's a set price.  I wasn't trying to say "VC games are inexpensive."  Also, people who make emulators would tell you that making an emulator is a LOT of work.  Anyway, I think it's important to note that either way, the 3rd party that made the VC game did NOT make the emulator.  I doubt this means they don't get any of the money, but Nintendo probably thinks it's fair they decide the price.