By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 4.1 — Nintendo's number to remember

Nintendo is too conservative to raise production so sharply!

Around the Network

If I was Nintendo I'd make 2.25 million Wiis/month from Jan-Oct and then make 4.5 million Wiis for November and 6 million Wiis for December.

Not this year though.  Demand isn't quite there at $250.  In Wii's peak year though, 25+ million Wiis sold in a year seems very realistic, and 30-35 million is probably the apex 

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Assuming Nintendo would sell 4.1 million Wiis a month, that would mean they'd be selling 1 million a week worldwide.

So why did they call it the 360?because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away- some guy on Gamespot

I would be surprised if Nintendo's initial goal for the fiscal year is 30 million units or more. And even if demand continues to exceed their expectations I can't see upward revisions passing 40 million. 4.1 million a month is waaaaay too large of a jump to go from 1.8 immediately. It's possible by the end of the fiscal year that they'd reach that level of production, but I'd put a max of about 3.5 million a month myself.

this guy is obsessd with nintendo.

Around the Network

I think in the next months, they'll only raise the production up to 2.5 or 3 million a month...

It's not only Nintendo's move, the other manufacturers (IBM, ATI) have to follow, so it has to be gradual... if by the end of 2008, that production is still not enough, then maybe in 2009...

But they could try to reach that number now, if they have already planned a $50 price drop later in 2008: absolutely no risk of saturation then, and it should stay the same in 2009...

What they certainly don't want is to invest massively in production lines if these are only valuable for a year: it has to be a mid or long term investment... Nintendo's usually very conservative, so... but they're also very rich these days, they could go for it easily, as both Wii and DS are goldmines...

"A beautiful drawing in 480i will stay beautiful forever...

and an ugly drawing in 1080p will stay ugly forever..."

ummmmm.... 1 million a week... selling 1 million Wiis a week? in a non vacation time... 1 million... i mean DS didn't do it last yr! sorry mate, really 60 million is far from happening... 40 million ain't even assured, things might change. but 4.1 million a week, thats just insane. I'ld be happy and surprised if they raise production to 2.5 million/month...

But if numbers remain like this, i'll doubt they'll exceed the 1.8 mil/month levels. Sorry Lucas, it just doesn't make any sense, unless of course your Nintendo's head-in-chief in disguise... are you?

Arcturus said:
Isn't Nintendo currently producing about 1.2M Wiis per month? I doubt they are going to more than triple production to 4.1M per month. I just don't see that level of demand.

actually i think they producing 1.8 mil a month

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

For me it's possible.... I still remember when SEGA said that M&S could sell 4 millions WW and nobody here believe it. Everybody though it was impossible... The predictions said that 1 million would be the number, 2 if they were lucky. But here we are, the game has passed 3 million and the olimpyc games have not even started. And nobody believe the 20 millions prediction for 2007, so... Cmon, this year is the year, Nintendo have Wii Fit coming to America and Europe...The game has been in the top 20 since release and only with the japan sales, this game will sale amazing in the other 2 regions, and Brawl, 1 million within 2 weeks in japan, and Mario Kart, and we still have to see whats coming..E3, GameDevelopers, tokyo game show... This will be the year when we will see the 3 parties support.... Every thing is there for this to be real... I would say 50 million...

1   2   3  not only you and me.

Livin' in sin is the new thing.

If they do go to 4.1 this year that will be amazing, i'm expecting only up to 2.7-3.0 million by the end of the year

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)