By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - “There Is Only One Real Last Chance For Wii U And It Is Mario Kart 8,”

Somini said:
Not true. Last chances will keep on coming. Just wait and see for yourself.

A last chance from a retailer's perspective is different from a last chance from a fan's perspective. 

Around the Network

No one game will save the WiiU. The best it can hope for is to build up a solid 1st party library so it can at the very least match the Gamecube's numbers. Hope the 3DS and software sales are enough to keep them in the black. Not much else they can do at this point.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Somini said:
Not true. Last chances will keep on coming. Just wait and see for yourself.

In the wise words of Sony fans and executives: "wait till next Christmas".

Nintendo and PC gamer

I feel sorry for  the people  that are doubting this game, Smash Bros U and Zelda U. They are going to help the Wii U a lot. Specially Mario Kart 8. That game is most likely going to put the Wii U on the map worldwide.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Augen said:
I imagine it will help, but not sure how one quantifies success or not for the Wii U. If it sells 50 million+? If it turns a profit?

50 million+ would be a 3DS-like turnaround. It would go down in video games sales history. As a NIntendo fan, I'll be happy if this thing turns a net profit and Nintendo stays in the console business, so maybe 25-30M (depending on software sales). I think they can do it if they pull most of the right moves. However,with the top management's history of stubbornness and occasional pleasant surprises, I'm not sure what to expect.

Around the Network

Implement a SKU with just the console and a pro controller for $199 and a system update to allow the OS to be navigated without the Gamepad. I love the Gamepad, but unless they're going to utilize it more its just a redundant cost.

"Games are a trigger for adults to again become primitive, primal, as a way of thinking and remembering. An adult is a child who has more ethics and morals, that's all. When I am a child, creating, I am not creating a game. I am in the game. The game is not for children, it is for me. It is for an adult who still has a character of a child."

Shigeru Miyamoto

Too late. The confidence ship has sailed since last year. Nothing will help the Wii U at this point, at least not to reach 50-60M, and even the GameCube as a benchmark makes the U looks bad.

3DWorld was just smoke and mirrors for some that believed in a turn around, and this must be a lesson to those who frecuently state a game that we like can save a console.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

WiiU and Ninty doesn't need saving. It have a big enough fanbase and top quality IPs to hold through all doomsayers. Nintendo is the only thing Nintendo Must fear.

Now if you are talking about selling more than 50M LTD I don't think it's gonna happen but 35 is quite possible.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Fusioncode said:
No one game will save the WiiU. The best it can hope for is to build up a solid 1st party library so it can at the very least match the Gamecube's numbers. Hope the 3DS and software sales are enough to keep them in the black. Not much else they can do at this point.

Nintendo cut the price of the Gamecube to $149 after a year and to $99 the year after that. Wii-U is simply in an impossible place in the market, and it can't compete with either PS3/X360 or PS4/Xbox One.

2014 is looking like the best year yet for the Wii U in my opinion. DKC: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, New Smash Bros, and that Monolith Software RPG. I think that'll help out a bit as well in my opinion.