By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - “There Is Only One Real Last Chance For Wii U And It Is Mario Kart 8,”

Anonymous devs...anonymous retailers?

Any really, did all 3 of these retailers just up and decide to anonymously contact this web site to give their opinions about Wii U and MK8?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Xen said:
spemanig said:
Xen said:
spemanig said:
Xen said:
MKDD didn't save the (already very cheap) GC, MK8 and a pricecut won't save the Wii U.

I hate when people try to argue this. Mario Kart wasn't as big when Double Dash came out as it is now. Double Dash didn't have the kind of huge predicesser that Mario Kart 8 has. That's like saying GTA VI won't move consoles because GTA II wasn't a console pushing blockbuster. That's retarded.

And I hate when people don't read the thread, so what?

Software sells hardware. Hardware sells software as well.

The Wii U is pathetic in sales compared to the Wii and 3DS. MK owes a lot to becoming big because those two are big, and the other two owe it also - but while the Wii and 3DS would do fine without MK, MK will do bad without big userbases.

That's not true at all. The momentum for the 3DS didn't really start until they released Mario Kart 7. That was what saved the 3DS. That, Mario 3D Land, and a price cut. Together. The 3DS would not have done "fine" without Mario Kart.

Yes, it would.

And the price cut was done MONTHS before MK7. Refer to the data even here to see how much difference just that made.

I never said they all happened at the same time. I said they all worked together to help, which they did, and that the 3DS wouldn't gave done what it's done without the 3DS, which it wouldn't. And of course the price cut helped more for the 3DS. It was a bigger price drop on already much cheaper hardware.

daredevil.shark said:
pezus said:
Nsanity said:
This is only one UK retailers opinion, not all of them.

More like 3.

OT: What I've been saying. MK8 alone won't save it, but that combined with a big pricecut might

This might be too late to implement for nintendo.

Just maybe if they ditch the gamepad

Xen said:
spemanig said:

That's not true at all. The momentum for the 3DS didn't really start until they released Mario Kart 7. That was what saved the 3DS. That, Mario 3D Land, and a price cut. Together. The 3DS would not have done "fine" without Mario Kart.

Yes, it would.

And the price cut was done MONTHS before MK7. Refer to the data even here to see how much difference just that made.

August to September was the spike it got with the price cut. December and January was the spike it got with 3D Land and MK 7. 

Nintendo and PC gamer

osed125 said:
Xen said:
spemanig said:

Yes, it would.

August to September was the spike it got with the price cut. December and January was the spike it got with 3D Land and MK 7. 

And the holidays...

@spemanig: I stand by 3DS doing fine without MK7. To make MK8 any kind of impactful it'll take more than just to release the game. It'll need massive advertising, bundling, a price drop, and convincing people of the existence of a new Nintendo console worthy of purchase more than for one game.

aka, I don't believe Nintendo can do all of them.

Around the Network
Xen said:

And the holidays...

@spemanig: I stand by 3DS doing fine without MK7. To make MK8 any kind of impactful it'll take more than just to release the game. It'll need massive advertising, bundling, a price drop, and convincing people of the existence of a new Nintendo console worthy of purchase more than for one game.

aka, I don't believe Nintendo can do all of them.

And Nintendo did all those things with the 3DS. But if you don't have games that people want, it doesn't matter how much you market it or cut the price. 

What did the 3DS had before 3D Land and MK 7? The launch lineup (which was pretty bad), Ocarina of Time 3D, Star Fox 3D, Resident Evil Mercenaries..and I think that's it. Do you think people would have bought a 3DS to just play those games? with the exception of OoT 3D, none of those are really that popular  

The price cut gave the system a small momentum which Nintendo kept with more games (and popular ones on that matter), without MK 7 and 3D Land they would have lost that momentum. 

Nintendo and PC gamer

Anonymous sources are bullshit and shouldn't be quoted.

Having said there, there is not yet any "last chance" scenario for Wii U, far from it. But MK8 WILL absolutely help sales.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how 3 separate retailers all decided to anonymously contact MCV and offer their opinions on Wii U and MK8.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Xen said:
MKDD didn't save the (already very cheap) GC, MK8 and a pricecut won't save the Wii U.

True enough--along with stellar Metroid, Zelda, Smash Bros., etc.  it didn't save the Gamecube (but really, it was a purple lunchbox. Could anything save it!?).  Mario Kart since MKWii/MKDS is like Call of Duty since Modern Warfare, though.  It will definitely boost numbers but Wii U will still be doomed.

a price cut MK8 bundle and pro controller for free, add a massive 500million marketing blitz world wide and maybe it could do wonders,