By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo would fail as 3rd party, and here's why!

DanneSandin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Do not use Sega as an example for Nintendo. Nintendo without much third party sold three times what the Dreamcast sold during the N64 era and twice what it sold during the GC era mainly off of first party. Spread those sales out and they would have a better future. Yes, they wouldn't be able to bundle games but Mario is a household staple and Sonic the Hedgehog, though a classic Sega name isn't a household name.

Read the OP before posting. Never ONCE did I mention Sega.

He's talking about the fact that you put sales of some Sonic games in the OP.

Around the Network
Vasto said:

I don't think they will either. Other then Mario and Zelda what else do they have?

Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero, Xenoblade/X, Earthbound, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Pikmin, Kirby, Yoshi and many others.. Nintendo has a  ton of  franchises, man.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:
Vasto said:

I don't think they will either. Other then Mario and Zelda what else do they have?

Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero, Xenoblade/X, Earthbound, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Pikmin, Kirby, Yoshi and many others.. Nintendo has a  ton of  franchises, man.

But how many do they have that people actually care about? LMAO

I read a Maelstrom article about it a couple of days ago. I'll post it to help your argument: http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2014/01/02/the-actual-reason-why-nintendo-will-never-go-third-party/

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Nintentacle said:
DanneSandin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Do not use Sega as an example for Nintendo. Nintendo without much third party sold three times what the Dreamcast sold during the N64 era and twice what it sold during the GC era mainly off of first party. Spread those sales out and they would have a better future. Yes, they wouldn't be able to bundle games but Mario is a household staple and Sonic the Hedgehog, though a classic Sega name isn't a household name.

Yes, because those are Nintendo like games, and is an indication of how those kind of games perform on playstation and xbox. They are therefore quite relevant.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
Vasto said:
AZWification said:
Vasto said:

How many franchises do sony or MS have that people actually care about?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Vasto said:
AZWification said:
Vasto said:

More than Sony has that's for sure. ;)

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

DanneSandin said:
Vasto said:
AZWification said:
Vasto said:

How many franchises do sony or MS have that people actually care about?

I have no idea, you tell me.

DanneSandin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

The other games from Sony have been marketed in a niche fashion  as well. Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank. Sony should bundle those games with consols to get people reaquainted with them. Nintendo made Mario popular by bundling him and last gen same thing with Mario Kart. When you leave games to themselves sometimes they sell half of what they sold if they were bundled. Fable sold well based on a false promise of something great. Very competent world, but not even a challenge. Great entree game for children. I had much harder games than Fable to start with as a child and the game sold better than even those. Mario stands out in the crowd from all of those games. Mario and Nintendos other games are stand out products and represent masterful branding and quality. Sonic had lost people since the Dreamcast days and Jak and Daxter and Rachet and Clank were second tier since the PS2 era even though they are arguably fun games. Essentially none of the games you posted are even in Mario's league (or many of Nintendo's platformers for that matter).

Personally, I don't even understand why God of War and Fable are even on the list since they don't truly represent the platforming genres.

Nintentacle said:
DanneSandin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Nintendo's first party is in another league from most of those games. I don't even understand why God of War is on the list.