By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo would fail as 3rd party, and here's why!

Lyrikalstylez said:
Saying Nintendo games not selling is rediculous and stupid
You guys fail to realize that if Nintendo went 3rd party Nintendo fanboys would have to own either a ps4 or Xbox one since most likely it means no more wii u! Unless these people retire from gaming lol they will continue to buy their games no matter the console ! Make it happen Nintendo...

Where am I saying that Nintendo games wouldn't sell? So stfu and read the OP again.

Nintendo fans are reluctant to buy a $300 console, what makes you think they would want a console for $400, or $500, when they could get all the Nintendo games they need and want for £200 on the 3DS?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
I don't think they would fail. In fact, I think they would do nicely. However, I do agree that they would not come close to the numbers they see on their own console.

Part of why Nintendo games sell so many units is that they effectively have a captive audience. Third-party titles are few and far between on their home consoles. If you want to buy a new game for your Wii U then you'll probably be giving your coin to Nintendo. Also, being the console manufacturer, they can direct all the attention toward their own titles. This is something Nintendo does better than anyone and which I've long suspected many third-party publishers resent. Nintendo sells Nintendo products aggressively, while Microsoft and Sony spend a lot of time and energy selling the products of others.

Nintendo games on other systems would obviously not see the same level of advertising. They would have to depend more on outside media advertising and they would have to push each and every release. The lower level Nintendo games would likely perform poorly. It's possible we would see their output retract.

I'm also willing to bet that a lot of Nintendo-only gamers would see the scope of their interests expand if they had to buy a Sony or Microsoft console. There really is so much more content on those machines. I think quite a few of them would have to drop out of the "buys anything Nintendo makes" club, as some of their purchase slots would be occupied by other selections.

Of course, there would also be further opportunities for Nintendo. I'd be willing to bet that Metroid would sell better on Xbox/Playstation than only on a Nintendo console. Mario Kart and SmaBro would likely perform extremely well and benefit financially from the DLC culture.

Now, all of that said, I think Nintendo will be fine as a console manufacturer if they just lower their projections and modify their business model. They can do quite well for themselves even if that means "third place".

Yeah, I kinda exaggerated just to drive home the point ^^

All this shows to me is that 100M of 160M PS3/360 owners had Wii and bought the real deal Nintendo franchise instead of the knock off. Nintendo is a second console to most people solely for the fact that they like Mario games. This is why there is such a huge push for Nintendo to go 3rd party, and why they would do amazingly.

People love Nintendo games, but don't want another device, and extra wire running through there home entertainment center. They would also rather spend $200 - $300 on 3 - 5 Nintendo games, than one piece of excessive hardware.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

DanneSandin said:
vivster said:

Players migrate to the systems where the games are they would like to play. If they want to play Nintendo games and there are no Nintendo consoles, they will move there. You could argue that they will move to mobile instead but that will happen regardless of Nintendo Hardware.

There will not be a long run for Nintendo if they don't sell enough consoles to move their games. I'm not sure about the next console generation but if MS and Sony hit this one out of the park then I don't see any chance for a successful Nintendo console ever again. Since the PS1 Nintendo is losing and the Wii is a one time success that will never repeat itself. And while Nintendo is struggling to even bring the most basic franchises to their consoles, MS and Sony are building up new and powerful franchises trhat will soon rival the ones on Nintendo in quantity and quality.

If Nintendo doesn't act soon there might not be enough crowd left to buy their games. Especially if it is on a closed system that nobody wants.

But would they really? Think about this now, really think about it: if Nintendo fans don't even wanna buy a $300 Nintendo console, do you REALLY think they will buy a console for $400 or $500? Maybe they would rather pay $200 and STILL get Nintendo games? That would be great news for the 3DS...

In the long run it would be better for Nintendo to change their way, and that doesn't mean becoming a 3rd party dev. The smart move would be to get with the times, and listen to what both 3rd party devs AND fans want - and that's impossible to do once you go 3rd party...

Name a single reason for people buying a Nintendo console other than the games. People hesitate to buy the WiiU because it doesn't have to offer more than the Nintendo games. It is the other way around. Not Nintendo fans hesitating to buy a $400 console but Nintendo fans shelling out an additional $300 for a console that does nothing but play Nintendo games. PS4/X1 are the full(est) package. They have the games and all the online features. The only thing missing are Nintendo games. If Nintendo goes 3rd Party gamers will have the full package with their console. Currently you have to own at least 2 consoles to get most of the gaming experience and since consoles are expensive people have to make the best out of their money which is buying Sony or MS.

Sure you can ask "Why aren't the 3rd parties coming to the WiiU instead of Nintendo coming to them?" That's because of the lacking hardware and archaic Nintendo business practices. It's easier for everyone if Nintendo comes to the big  market instead of the other way around.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Vasto said:
AZWification said:
Vasto said:

I don't think they will either. Other then Mario and Zelda what else do they have?

Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero, Xenoblade/X, Earthbound, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Pikmin, Kirby, Yoshi and many others.. Nintendo has a  ton of  franchises, man.

But how many do they have that people actually care about? LMAO

Dude.....are you serious. Some of those games are the best selling franchises in their genre. And he didn't even mention Pokemon which will probably be the best selling rpg until they stop making video games systems.

Around the Network
Vasto said:

I don't think they will either. Other then Mario and Zelda what else do they have?

2D Mario, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Mario Sports (Soccer, Baseball), Mario & Donkey Kong, Mario & Sonic Olympics (they get more mileage out of Mario alone than most developers/publishers do with ALL of their franchises), Luigi's Mansion, Donkey Kong Country, Super Smash Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Star Fox, Pikmin, Kirby, Wii series (Sports, Fit, Party, Play...we don't talk about Wii Music...), Art Academy, Brain Age, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, F-Zero, Xeno-series, and more. Nice try and thank you for playing. 

Upcoming Games To Get

Definite: Kirby Star Allies (Switch), Mario Tennis Aces (Switch), Fire Emblem (Switch), Yoshi (Switch), Pokemon (Switch), Kingdom Hearts 3 (PS4), Monster Hunter World (PS4)

Considering: Fe (Switch), Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch), The World Ends With You (Switch), Ys VIII (Switch), Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition (PS4), Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Remix (PS4), The Last Guardian (PS4), Shadow of the Colossus HD (PS4), Anthem (PS4), Shenmue 3 (PS4), WiLD (PS4)

Multishanks said:
Vasto said:
AZWification said:
Vasto said:

Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero, Xenoblade/X, Earthbound, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Pikmin, Kirby, Yoshi and many others.. Nintendo has a  ton of  franchises, man.

Dude.....are you serious. Some of those games are the best selling franchises in their genre. And he didn't even mention Pokemon which will probably be the best selling rpg until they stop making video games systems.

Which ones and compared to what?

vivster said:
DanneSandin said:
vivster said:

Players migrate to the systems where the games are they would like to play. If they want to play Nintendo games and there are no Nintendo consoles, they will move there. You could argue that they will move to mobile instead but that will happen regardless of Nintendo Hardware.

There will not be a long run for Nintendo if they don't sell enough consoles to move their games. I'm not sure about the next console generation but if MS and Sony hit this one out of the park then I don't see any chance for a successful Nintendo console ever again. Since the PS1 Nintendo is losing and the Wii is a one time success that will never repeat itself. And while Nintendo is struggling to even bring the most basic franchises to their consoles, MS and Sony are building up new and powerful franchises trhat will soon rival the ones on Nintendo in quantity and quality.

If Nintendo doesn't act soon there might not be enough crowd left to buy their games. Especially if it is on a closed system that nobody wants.

But would they really? Think about this now, really think about it: if Nintendo fans don't even wanna buy a $300 Nintendo console, do you REALLY think they will buy a console for $400 or $500? Maybe they would rather pay $200 and STILL get Nintendo games? That would be great news for the 3DS...

In the long run it would be better for Nintendo to change their way, and that doesn't mean becoming a 3rd party dev. The smart move would be to get with the times, and listen to what both 3rd party devs AND fans want - and that's impossible to do once you go 3rd party...

Name a single reason for people buying a Nintendo console other than the games. People hesitate to buy the WiiU because it doesn't have to offer more than the Nintendo games. It is the other way around. Not Nintendo fans hesitating to buy a $400 console but Nintendo fans shelling out an additional $300 for a console that does nothing but play Nintendo games. PS4/X1 are the full(est) package. They have the games and all the online features. The only thing missing are Nintendo games. If Nintendo goes 3rd Party gamers will have the full package with their console. Currently you have to own at least 2 consoles to get most of the gaming experience and since consoles are expensive people have to make the best out of their money which is buying Sony or MS.

Sure you can ask "Why aren't the 3rd parties coming to the WiiU instead of Nintendo coming to them?" That's because of the lacking hardware and archaic Nintendo business practices. It's easier for everyone if Nintendo comes to the big  market instead of the other way around.

The question is if the majority of Nintendo fans does in fact have two consoles - and people on the forums are no indicator; they're the hard core gamers, while most gamers aren't.

And while a prefect world would only have ONE console with EVERY game on it, that's not the world we're living it. We can't even be sure that Nintendo games would keep their quality if Nintendo went 3rd party. While I agree that Nintendo needs 3rd parties to succeed, and that they have to change a lot of their business practisies, that's not what this thread is about. This thread is about if Nintendo would be just as profitable as a 3rd party developer as a console maker. And I think the numbers don't support that.

Vasto said:
Multishanks said:
Vasto said:
AZWification said:
Vasto said:

Smash and Mario Kart are afar and away the best selling fighting and racing games ever....

Multishanks said:
Vasto said:
Multishanks said:
Vasto said:
AZWification said:
Vasto said:

Smash and Mario Kart are afar and away the best selling fighting and racing games ever....

Dont think so.