By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo would fail as 3rd party, and here's why!

Vasto said:
Multishanks said:

Smash and Mario Kart are afar and away the best selling fighting and racing games ever....

Dont think so.

Well, there's a difference between what you think and the truth.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:

Some of you just need to stop dreaming that Nintendo should go 3rd party because they would be sooo successful supporting Sony and/or Microsoft. Get your heads out of your asses. That's just wishful thinking! Don't believe me? How about I said that Nintendo games wouldn't do very well on either the PS4 or XboxOne, and that I have the numbers to back it up?

the reason people keep saying nintendo should go third party on consoles only, is because people keep on saying nintendo has to do something different to capture the market, what's the point of being in the market when they have to something unique and different every gen just to be able to sell, it's not a sustainable market for nintendo, with no third party support, nintedno only chance is finding a new way to play that will set the world on fire, and if that doesn't work expect anothere wiiu situation with major losses or worse case scenerio virtual boy. 

This is true, which is why Nintendo would rather go iOS/Android rather than 3rd party.

Besides their games, right now, release on systems where they have virtually no competition. Nintendo's IP's would sell much less if they were releasing on Sony's or Microsoft's consoles.

Somini said:
This is true, which is why Nintendo would rather go iOS/Android rather than 3rd party.

Besides their games, right now, release on systems where they have virtually no competition. Nintendo's IP's would sell much less if they were releasing on Sony's or Microsoft's consoles.

why limit themselves, especially since they are used to making console games, they can easily do both.

Your thread suggests that all of those games did not sell good enough. Which I would disagree with. A lot of those games that didn't sell well enough had fucked up execution, planning, and expectations, which would be a problem with the Nintendo and not the market, were they to fail as a third party.

*Disclaimer* I do not think Nintendo should leave the hardware business.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
Vasto said:
Multishanks said:

Smash and Mario Kart are afar and away the best selling fighting and racing games ever....

Dont think so.

Well, there's a difference between what you think and the truth.

Lol i think he was being sarcastic

Actually I am not really sure, I hope he was.

Somini said:

You stole that from me, didn't you? tehehe

You're wrong, and here's why.

Wii sold 100m, that's 100m potential customers.
PS3+360 sold 162m and still selling strong, that's 162m+ potential customers.

Now let's look further back.

GC sold under 22m
PS2+Xbox+Dreamcast sold 190m

Where do you think Nintendo would have sold more games if they had been third party during these times, and remember, had Nintendo not been around in the hardware business these numbers would be even higher.

Digging deeper,
N64 sold 33m
PS1+Saturn sold 113m

In all of these instances Nintendo would have sold significantly more than they did on their own platforms as their own fan base would be there along with the canvases of both other systems.

Nintendo could keep going with their handhelds while being third party if course but even that is bound to change as markets shrink and others expand.

You can argue that they won't and give numbers for none Nintendo games all you want, but the fact remains these numbers are for non Nintendo console exclusives without factoring in the increased rates a larger install base and multiplatform nature would have.

3rd parties go multiplatform because that's where the money is, unless a first party holder subsidised the exclusivity well enough to negate the loss.

Of course, if you're trying to tell me GC games would have sold worse on consoles with 168m potential customers then I don't even know what to say to you.

Oh and just for fun?
WiiU 5.3m
PS4+XOne 7.5m
PS4+Vita+XOne+360+PS3 177m (if they did what current games are doing and bridging the generation)

Where would wiiu games have sold better?, 5.3m install base or 177m? Plus the sales of Nintendo branded peripherals for these games.

And frankly your argument that Nintendo fans don't want to pay 400-500 is absurd, most of them have a second console along side their Nintendo console anyway, so the majority would be saving money, money better spent on games.

Being realistic about Nintendo and the WiiU doesn't mean I'm a Nintendo hater like you claim, it just means I am not a blinded Nintendo fanboy who rejects reality to suit his opinions.

There's a huge difference.

lucidium said:
You're wrong, and here's why.

Wii sold 100m, that's 100m potential customers.
PS3+360 sold 162m and still selling strong, that's 162m+ potential customers.

Now let's look further back.

GC sold under 22m
PS2+Xbox+Dreamcast sold 190m

Where do you think Nintendo would have sold more games if they had been third party during these times, and remember, had Nintendo not been around in the hardware business these numbers would be even higher.

Digging deeper,
N64 sold 33m
PS1+Saturn sold 113m

In all of these instances Nintendo would have sold significantly more than they did on their own platforms as their own fan base would be there along with the canvases of both other systems.

Nintendo could keep going with their handhelds while being third party if course but even that is bound to change as markets shrink and others expand.

You can argue that they won't and give numbers for none Nintendo games all you want, but the fact remains these numbers are for non Nintendo console exclusives without factoring in the increased rates a larger install base and multiplatform nature would have.

3rd parties go multiplatform because that's where the money is, unless a first party holder subsidised the exclusivity well enough to negate the loss.

Of course, if you're trying to tell me GC games would have sold worse on consoles with 168m potential customers then I don't even know what to say to you.

Oh and just for fun?
WiiU 5.3m
PS4+XOne 7.5m
PS4+Vita+XOne+360+PS3 177m (if they did what current games are doing and bridging the generation)

Where would wiiu games have sold better?, 5.3m install base or 177m? Plus the sales of Nintendo branded peripherals for these games.

And frankly your argument that Nintendo fans don't want to pay 400-500 is absurd, most of them have a second console along side their Nintendo console anyway, so the majority would be saving money, money better spent on games.

Being realistic about Nintendo and the WiiU doesn't mean I'm a Nintendo hater like you claim, it just means I am not a blinded Nintendo fanboy who rejects reality to suit his opinions.

There's a huge difference.

This reasoning is just awful. Do you think it can works by a single analysis on sales ? you are combining the sales of the whole consoles to justify a move from another one. By this logic, every company just has to drop the console market and go 3rd party.... The real point is, it would be so harmful to them to make this. Developing for both Ps4/xbone is different, Nintendo's developers never worked on these structures yet. They would have to put SO much money and effort on , that would be not worth it. 

By the way, this isn't reality, it just a just an a priori argument. And yeah , saying that nintendo should go 3rd party and calling yourself not a hater... Doubt if someone create a thread saying sony or micro should abandon console and make games for nintendo you'd be pissed. I would be.... 

Theory/pratice is not the same thing and both result in different experiences... '' There's a huge difference''.

Most antecipated games: Mario Kart 8 and Warlords of Draenor.

Corvo said:

This reasoning is just awful. Do you think it can works by a single analysis on sales ? you are combining the sales of the whole consoles to justify a move from another one. By this logic, every company just has to drop the console market and go 3rd party.... The real point is, it would be so harmful to them to make this. Developing for both Ps4/xbone is different, Nintendo's developers never worked on these structures yet. They would have to put SO much money and effort on , that would be not worth it. 

By the way, this isn't reality, it just a just an a priori argument. And yeah , saying that nintendo should go 3rd party and calling yourself not a hater... Doubt if someone create a thread saying sony or micro should abandon console and make games for nintendo you'd be pissed. I would be.... 

Theory/pratice is not the same thing and both result in different experiences... '' There's a huge difference''.

So, you don't actually have anything to counter my clear and logical points?

And you wanna jump on the "youre just a Nintendo hater for saying they may someday go third party" bandwagon? Oh brother...

Do Microsoft haters buy Xbox?

Do Sony haters buy PlayStation?

Do Nintendo haters buy Nintendo?

I have virtually all if the major systems and handhelds and I tell it like it is, even if how it is, isnt what the fanboys wanna hear, if Sony screw up, they will hear about it, if ms screw up, same deal, only reason Nintendo are getting more flack than the others is because right now they're screwing up the most.

What's most amusing is your opening salvo, "This reasoning is just awful. Do you think it can works by a single analysis on sales ?"

Think about what this threads op is using as its primary point if reference... go on, i'll wait..

Deal with it.