By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo would fail as 3rd party, and here's why!

They need to start making new IPs and stop putting strain on Mario and other classics.

Lets just hope Miyamoto's new IP is worth talking about unlike Wii music...

Around the Network
Vasto said:
AZWification said:
Vasto said:

I don't think they will either. Other then Mario and Zelda what else do they have?

Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero, Xenoblade/X, Earthbound, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Pikmin, Kirby, Yoshi and many others.. Nintendo has a  ton of  franchises, man.

But how many do they have that people actually care about? LMAO

Terrible troll is terrible. Nintendo video game franchises selling in excess of 5 million units.

Units Franchise (Rank)

447 Mario (1)
245 Pokmon (2)
193 Wii (3)
68 Legend of Zelda (16)
54 Donkey Kong (22)
33 Kirby (40)
23 Super Smash Bros. (55)
22 Nintendogs (59)
20 Brain Age (73)
14 Metroid (94)
12 Star Fox (103)
7 Animal Crossing (137)

Context

175 The Sims (4)
150 Grand Theft Auto (5)
150 Need for Speed (6)
140 Tetris (7)
120 Call of Duty (8)
102 Final Fantasy (9)
100 FIFA (10)
99 Madden NFL (11)
85 Sonic the Hedgehog (12)
50 Halo (23)
43 Pac-Man (27)
40 Crash Bandicoot (31)
22 God of War (60)
8 Max Payne (135)

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

I disagree. People buy nintendo consoles just for nintendo games so that proves the games would sell well, or even better on the ps4/X1.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

I think Ninty will do great if they become 3rd party. There is something magical with their games and I have no doubt Sony and MS would love to have a Ninty game on their platform.

Then again its never going to happen and in hindsight, I can't imagine it or wanting it to happen either. lol!

BraveNewWorld said:
Vasto said:
AZWification said:
Vasto said:

I don't think they will either. Other then Mario and Zelda what else do they have?

Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero, Xenoblade/X, Earthbound, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Pikmin, Kirby, Yoshi and many others.. Nintendo has a  ton of  franchises, man.

But how many do they have that people actually care about? LMAO

Terrible troll is terrible. Nintendo video game franchises selling in excess of 5 million units.

Units Franchise (Rank)

447 Mario (1)
245 Pokmon (2)
193 Wii (3)
68 Legend of Zelda (16)
54 Donkey Kong (22)
33 Kirby (40)
23 Super Smash Bros. (55)
22 Nintendogs (59)
20 Brain Age (73)
14 Metroid (94)
12 Star Fox (103)
7 Animal Crossing (137)

Context

175 The Sims (4)
150 Grand Theft Auto (5)
150 Need for Speed (6)
140 Tetris (7)
120 Call of Duty (8)
102 Final Fantasy (9)
100 FIFA (10)
99 Madden NFL (11)
85 Sonic the Hedgehog (12)
50 Halo (23)
43 Pac-Man (27)
40 Crash Bandicoot (31)
22 God of War (60)
8 Max Payne (135)

Ignorance is always self inflicted. I never said that Nintendo games have not sold well. Of course they did in the past but we are not in the NES, SNES era anymore. What is Nintendo selling today on the Wii U? Like I said, other then Mario, Zelda and Pokemon Nintendo does not offer anything.

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
AnthonyW86 said:
''This list makes it quite apparent that the Playstation and Xbox crowd isn't that interested in Nintendo like games''

Correct, because people who like Nintendo like games buy a Nintendo system. If they didn't have that option, they would just buy these games on a different system.

Many people(probably most) bought a Wii for the motion controls. Still because of this larger install Nintendo managed to sell much more of their other franchises aswell.

But would they really? Think about this now, really think about it: if Nintendo fans don't even wanna buy a $300 Nintendo console, do you REALLY think they will buy a console for $400 or $500? Maybe they would rather pay $200 and STILL get Nintendo games? That would be great news for the 3DS...

There is no reason why they wouldn't release their games for X360 and PS3 aswell, wich are actually cheaper than even a 3DS. Besides both systems already have huge install bases, and that's the most important thing.

Releasing their games for all systems would mean selling millions of copies more of every single game compared to the very smalll install base the WIi-U is likely to achieve. And if they ever have a good idea like the Wii's motion controls they could just release it as an extra, something like Activision did with Guitar Hero.

drake4 said:
DanneSandin said:

Some of you just need to stop dreaming that Nintendo should go 3rd party because they would be sooo successful supporting Sony and/or Microsoft. Get your heads out of your asses. That's just wishful thinking! Don't believe me? How about I said that Nintendo games wouldn't do very well on either the PS4 or XboxOne, and that I have the numbers to back it up?

the reason people keep saying nintendo should go third party on consoles only, is because people keep on saying nintendo has to do something different to capture the market, what's the point of being in the market when they have to something unique and different every gen just to be able to sell, it's not a sustainable market for nintendo, with no third party support, nintedno only chance is finding a new way to play that will set the world on fire, and if that doesn't work expect anothere wiiu situation with major losses or worse case scenerio virtual boy. 

Well, I'm not arguing that Nintendo don't need to change; they really do, but that's besides the point of this thread. People are yelling for Nintendo to go 3rd party because of the Wii U, and that is a short term solution. They don't have to come up with a new Wii every gen, just make a system that sell better than Wii U - and that SHOULDN'T be too hard. If they have terrible next gen as well, THEN they might wanna think about going 3rd party - but not this gen. Not now at least.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Dgc1808 said:
Your thread suggests that all of those games did not sell good enough. Which I would disagree with. A lot of those games that didn't sell well enough had fucked up execution, planning, and expectations, which would be a problem with the Nintendo and not the market, were they to fail as a third party.

*Disclaimer* I do not think Nintendo should leave the hardware business.

No, that is not what I suggest. What I suggest is that those genres aren't that big on PS or XB, hence why Nintendo wouldn't see their sales increase enough to offset all the extra costs of being a 3rd party dev.

BasilZero said:
DanneSandin said:

Really? So none of them are platformers, or have similarities to other Nintendo games?

Do you think NSMBWii or Mario Kart Wii could have pulled off 30m in sales on PS3 and X360? And even if they did, to offset the royalties and other increased costs, they would have sold a lot more copies than 30m to be as profitable.

Think about it. You want to say Knack, Sonic and Mario are similar....think about it. :P - just because they are the same genre doesnt mean they'll have the same quality or prestige.

I think those two games would of sold more if they were released on PS3 + Xbox360 (and Wii) - not because of which one would have more graphics but because there's also a group who may buy it if the game appears on their system of preference (assuming those people dont buy Nintendo systems) - how many of them are there? Who knows.

Or if you want, lets say Nintendo's own system doesnt exist but their IPs appear on other game systems, Mario Kart and NSMBWii would sell as much (or more) because I am sure if Nintendo's IPs still exist on other platforms, Nintendo fans would simply buy one of those systems to buy said games along with that there will be that certain group of people who wouldnt buy a Nintendo system but would absolutely buy a Nintendo game if per say a game comes to their system of preference.

People love to say they dont like something only if it doesnt apply to their preferences, now if it does apply to their preferences they would join the "Wagon" easily.

In terms of profit from royalties, etc - I wouldnt know, I'm not in the gaming industry but I am sure that MK Wii and NSMBWii would do stellar numbers similar to GTAV or more than GTAV imo.

Edit: Dont take my post as saying that Nintendo SHOULD become third party. I'm just saying what would happen imo if they do.

How could Mario Kart Wii and NSMBWii sell as well on PS3/X360 when Nintendo tapped in to a whole new market to sell those games to?! Neither the X360 nor PS3 would (probably) have lured the massive casual market into gaimg like the Wii did, hence why MKWii/NSMBWii wouldn't sell nearly as well as they did on the Wii.

naruball said:
Sorry, OP. This is pretty flawed logic. Ninty characters are Ninty characters. It's not so much about the gameplay or the genre, but the nostalgia and the quality that they bring. Rayman games are great yet sell terribly on wiiu and wii (and the rest of the consoles). Shouldn't they be selling well because they are platformers just like Mario?

I know I'd buy Zelda on ps4/ps3/psvita if it was available. Nintendo would do amazing as third party developers, but they won't do it till they waste all their money and get close to bankruptcy (which is not happening any time soon).

A lot of the PS/XB has never played a Mario game, and therefore Nintendo wouldn't be able to sell (as many) games based on nostalgia, and these same people don't know Nintendo quality, so why would they buy those games? Maybe that's one of the reasons why they didn't buy Rayman? And for Rayman to go up against Mario isn't fair... Zelda SS was released at the same time on Wii, and Wii was a dying console at that point in its life, hence why it might not have sold as well. And the Wii U STILL doesn't have much of a user base, and it was even smaller when Rayman was released on it.