By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo would fail as 3rd party, and here's why!

So, you don't actually have anything to counter my clear and logical points?

And you wanna jump on the "youre just a Nintendo hater for saying they may someday go third party" bandwagon? Oh brother...

Do Microsoft haters buy Xbox?

Do Sony haters buy PlayStation?

Do Nintendo haters buy Nintendo?

I have virtually all if the major systems and handhelds and I tell it like it is, even if how it is, isnt what the fanboys wanna hear, if Sony screw up, they will hear about it, if ms screw up, same deal, only reason Nintendo are getting more flack than the others is because right now they're screwing up the most.

Deal with it.

And still, you missed the whole point of the topic, you just went out debating about 3rd party to catch a fight on '' fanboy/hater''.

You didn't delivery any solid argument to counter mine , still waiting for a solid one, with solid bases. I pointed before that you should consider a lot of things , not only combined sales, that is just stupid. Take a deep breath and read my argument again before turning around the point, we are not discussing "youre just a Nintendo hater for saying they may someday go third party" bandwagon? ( maybe we are , after what you said) but the real point : Let's consider another things, not only combined sales, before calling someone '' wrong''...

Oh ! by the way, I really didnt ask if you own all the major systems and handhelds, I really dont care at that, still, this does not make any sense in what are discussing here: Nintendo should go 3rd party.

Deal with it.

Most antecipated games: Mario Kart 8 and Warlords of Draenor.

Around the Network

Sorry, OP. This is pretty flawed logic. Ninty characters are Ninty characters. It's not so much about the gameplay or the genre, but the nostalgia and the quality that they bring. Rayman games are great yet sell terribly on wiiu and wii (and the rest of the consoles). Shouldn't they be selling well because they are platformers just like Mario?

I know I'd buy Zelda on ps4/ps3/psvita if it was available. Nintendo would do amazing as third party developers, but they won't do it till they waste all their money and get close to bankruptcy (which is not happening any time soon).

Also, never say never guys. Ninty could make a truly unique game that will bring back the casuals. Don't know what game that would be, but it could happen. I'm sure most underestimated the potential of kinect before it started beasting.

And still, you missed the whole point of the topic, you just went out debating about 3rd party to catch a fight on '' fanboy/hater''.

You didn't delivery any solid argument to counter mine , still waiting for a solid one, with solid bases. I pointed before that you should consider a lot of things , not only combined sales, that is just stupid. Take a deep breath and read my argument again before turning around the point, we are not discussing "youre just a Nintendo hater for saying they may someday go third party" bandwagon? ( maybe we are , after what you said) but the real point : Let's consider another things, not only combined sales, before calling someone '' wrong''...

Oh ! by the way, I really didnt ask if you own all the major systems and handhelds, I really dont care at that, still, this does not make any sense in what are discussing here: Nintendo should go 3rd party.

Deal with it.

You will get an adequate response when you pose an argument that makes sense, refuting sales potential by claiming "you can't just add up the console figures" is nonsensical, as these figures would be directly relative to the situation, any money spent learning development cycles for other systems would be saved not having to produce and maintain their own SDK and development costs for their own system firmwares.

As such we are left with sales potential and that comes down to install bases, hence my post.

You say I missed the whole point of the topic, the topic which is giving rather flawed reasons why Nintendo should not go third party, I gave reasons why they financially could, do you not understand how debates work?

Yes, i agree.

Since most people didnt study these things they dont understand it though. Its pretty clear in the case of SEGA though. Once you go third party you fracture your audience and you scatter around trying to find them with multiple SKU's and SKU's using console systems that arent the ones you were cleary targeting with your system.

Nintendo third party would not achieve the same software sales numbers that Nintendo first party does.

Around the Network

You will get an adequate response when you oose an argument that makes sense, refuting sales potential by claiming "you can't just add up the console figures is nonsensical, as these figures would be directly relative to the situation, any money spend learning development cycles for other systems would be saved not having to produce and maintain their own SDK and development costs for their own system firmwares.

As such we are left with sales potential and that comes down to install bases, hence my post.

I think you are either stupid or can't read well to understand,but I'm going to do it again, thanks evolution I have a brain to tolerate stupidity.

Here we go, you said that OP is wrong, nintendo is better if going 3rd party. To sustain that idea, you showed combined sales of consoles of past generations. I came, didn't feel that was enough and showed to you that you have to take an analysis on other situations, I'm going to show AGAIN some: Developing on Nintendo consoles isn't the same thing as developing in sony/micro consoles. Nintendo's developers always worked ONLY in nintendo's consoles, they never had any kind of experience to work on the competition's consoles. That, would result in nintendo wasting more time, because they would have to understand the complexity of a sony/micro console, the structure itself. Not only time, but more money they could never imagine. You won't expect a same Zelda/ Mario/ whatever nintendo IP on sony/micro console with the same quality they have on a Nintendo console. As long a profit shows up, going 3rd is just idiot.

And, for last. I didn't say you are wrong, your argument is just an a  priori argument. There are way more complex/ deep factor to study , not only sales, before going 3rd party. And why should they go 3rd?  Sega went because they couldn't do anything else, it was 3rd party or doors closed. By far, Nintendo's situation isn't good but isn't bad, this won't make them close doors. 

I could list a lot of factors to take for an understanding of OP's point. Really, it isnt just refuting sales potencial, it is studying the whole thing before calling someone wrong. Again, by your logic lets go:

Last gen only : Ps3+ PSP sales= 162.8M ( 82.3M+ 80.5M). Nintendo DS sales = 153.8M.  WOW PS3+PSP>NINTENDO DS, that's right guys, nintendo has to drop handheld and go 3rd party!.

Corvo said:

Last gen only : Ps3+ PSP sales= 162.8M ( 82.3M+ 80.5M). Nintendo DS sales = 153.8M.  WOW PS3+PSP>NINTENDO DS, that's right guys, nintendo has to drop handheld and go 3rd party!.

Now try again but include 360 sales, since, you know, its only the whole point of third party.

Ps3,360,PSP : 243.8m

Ds,Wii :253.8m

Then consider, if the Wii and ds did not exist, where would those 253.8m owners have gone? Would they just have dissolved into nothingness?

Had they been third party but maintained their handheld business as I pondered then they would have had a combined customer base of 397.6 potential buyers.

lucidium said:
Corvo said:

Now try again but include 360 sales, since, you know, its only the whole point of third party.

Ps3,360,PSP : 243.8m

Ds,Wii :153.8m

Oh yeah, right, now you got me. Just to add more, well looks like nintendo is in problem right, they should've go 3rd party in this gen by this logic... Well nintendo 3ds really disagree. And more, as Iwata says, please understand. There will not be a SINGLE generation that Nintendo's consoles ( handheld + home) will be bigger than the other consoles combined. It is just MATH  and LOGIC. You can try this for the rest of your life. The combination of all the consoles ( expect nintendo) will surpass the lifetime sales of the combined nintendo consoles. Now you got why this is just non sense to use as an argumment to call '' Nintendo is better 3rd party?'' This is the nature of market, it has to be this way. Nintendo should've go 3rd party since consoles were invented then....

Corvo said:

Oh yeah, right, now you got me. Just to add more, well looks like nintendo is in problem right, they should've go 3rd party in this gen by this logic... Well nintendo 3ds really disagree. And more, as Iwata says, please understand. There will not be a SINGLE generation that Nintendo's consoles ( handheld + home) will be bigger than the other consoles combined. It is just MATH  and LOGIC. You can try this for the rest of your life. The combination of all the consoles ( expect nintendo) will surpass the lifetime sales of the combined nintendo consoles. Now you got why this is just non sense to use as an argumment to call '' Nintendo is better 3rd party?'' This is the nature of market, it has to be this way. Nintendo should've go 3rd party since consoles were invented then....

What are you even arguing? Potential sales comes down to potential customers, that's why Nintendo started out third party, prior to the release of the nes.

The wiiu is doing terribly and may not recover and handhelds as a whole have been on undesputable decline since 2005 as mobile and tablet devices have increased in popularity, the entire industry is changing and both Sony and Microsoft have the knowledge and experience to grow with it (both have computer divisions, cloud networks and mobile and tablet divisions) Nintendo is the dinosaur of the bunch and has only its console, portable and arcade divisions, both the console and arcade divisions are in dire straits with their handheld division barely keeping its head above water (see latest financials).

Nintendo have three options for the future, mobile market or third party and last but not least, mega hit console, the last option being one they cannot afford to take for at least 3 years or risk losing consumer confidence, as well as investor and shareholder confidence, and even then, there is no guarantee that the new console would be a hit.

Nintendo are vastly out if touch with their customers, and seem to be fumbling on every single decision.

But hey, what would I know, I've only been a developer since the Saturn days and married to a fellow developed whome currently works at Nintendo, as OP apparently knows well.

lucidium said:
Corvo said:

What are you even arguing? Potential sales comes down to potential customers, that's why Nintendo started out third party, prior to the release of the nes.

The wiiu is doing terribly and may not recover and handhelds as a whole have been on undesputable decline since 2005 as mobile and tablet devices have increased in popularity, the entire industry is changing and both Sony and Microsoft have the knowledge and experience to grow with it (both have computer divisions, cloud networks and mobile and tablet divisions) Nintendo is the dinosaur of the bunch and has only its console, portable and arcade divisions, both the console and arcade divisions are in dire straits with their handheld division barely keeping its head above water (see latest financials).

Nintendo have three options for the future, mobile market or third party and last but not least, mega hit console, the last option being one they cannot afford to take for at least 3 years or risk losing consumer confidence, as well as investor and shareholder confidence, and even then, there is no guarantee that the new console would be a hit.

Nintendo are vastly out if touch with their customers, and seem to be fumbling on every single decision.

But hey, what would I know, I've only been a developer since the Saturn days and married to a fellow developed whome currently works at Nintendo, as OP apparently knows well.

This reminds me GC era. Anyway, you are maybe correct, OP maybe is correct, who knows. As far we know, their situation doesnt answer as a '' emergency'' that would lead them to 3rd party. We don't even know if the wii U will make them a profit,and by the way, it has a good chance to do. 

Nintendo mobile market, okay I'm done, they have better chances to grow on console market than mobile, Mobile market is already made and ruled by Sam+apple. They would be nothing than a little company on mobile market. Guess this is the Wii conseuquence, they launched a big console and people expect them to hit wii numbers with wii U, and we know they can't, so we call a doom and they should abandon console market. Take a read on nintendo's sales during their life, especially n64 and GC, they can't compete with PS but they still can survive and make a profit. Wii u's situtation is just nintendo going back to nintendo.

Sorry oh powerful and honored developer, just because you work as developer doesn't mean you are right in some points. You may know how to develop but in market vision and future paths for companies, sorry, horrible. But hey! I'm studying an engineering student!, and by far I know, nintendo will fall and they are doomed because their console structure is weaker. Their have 3 options: Go third party, make a powerful console or who knows? go tv market? radio?....