By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo would fail as 3rd party, and here's why!

Anfebious said:
pezus said:

The big flaw here is that fans of Nintendo games would go where their games go...

They're not fans of Nintendo consoles, but their games.

It's only logical, I mean how could you be a fan of a console? The reason to love a console is because it plays your favourite games right? Having extra features is always nice but the main appeal is games!

So Sony fans should be perfectly fine if Sony's games where on a Nintendo console! Or Microsoft fans having Halo on other consoles!

Well if the day came, I would rather see playstation games on another system than not see them at all.

Around the Network
Kyuu said:
DanneSandin said:
Kyuu said:
Well you can list racing game sales on Sony's consoles and exclude only Gran Turismo, then you'll succeed to make it look that Racing games wont be successful on Sony's consoles no matter how big their names are.

Huge games like Mario don't abide to these laws. Nintendo-Like games don't sell that well mostly due to lower quality compared to Nintendo. Hence why LBP sold extremely well for a new IP. And are you forgetting how much Spyro and Crash games used to sell on Playstation 1?

A racing sim game and a Kart game isn't the same dude... c'mon.

And while Crash did very well back in the day, it was also one of the first 3D games to hit PS1, and doing it right. And PS3/PS4 isn't the PS1. The market today is a lot more diverse and divided, and platforming as a genre has been on a decline since those days, only getting somewhat of a resurgance in the last few days.

That's irrelivant to what I'm saying. The entire racing genre on Playstation/Xbox isn't looking very successful. Yet Gran Turismo sales have always been phenomenal despite the apparent weakness of that genre. So in the end of the day, name and quality play a very important role.

Also, Nintendo's massive fanbase don't own a Wii U anyway. If Nintendo goes third party and continues making excellent games, I'm sure it will attract a lot of fans into buying XB1/PS4. You speak as if Nintendo's fanbase will suddenly "disappear" if they leave the console business.

In a sense, going third party should accelerate Nintendo's sales because they will theoretically have access to all of the big 3's fanbases. Of course unless they screw up like Sega did.

Having said that, I don't want them to go third party because I feel that may cause them to lose that "passion" of making great games.

A lot of them would.  I know I would.  A very large portion of Nintendo's core crowd are also PC gamers to compensate for the missing parts in Nintendo's library.  I think a lot of them would likely fall back to PC only and dissappear from console gaming altogether. 

Saying Nintendo games not selling is rediculous and stupid
You guys fail to realize that if Nintendo went 3rd party Nintendo fanboys would have to own either a ps4 or Xbox one since most likely it means no more wii u! Unless these people retire from gaming lol they will continue to buy their games no matter the console ! Make it happen Nintendo...

lucidium said:
DanneSandin said:
lucidium said:
DanneSandin said:
Non-nintendo game sales comparisons to nintendo games, as if it is accurate in any way to how nintendo titles would perform on Xbox or Sony consoles if Xbox and Sony fans could buy them and Nintendo fans had nowhere else to get their fix.

From what I gather, you are more trying to convince yourself that it can't and wont happen, than anyone else.

But if comparing mediocre Sonic games that nobody really wanted or cared for to Nintendo titles is logical and fair in your mind then none of us here can help you.

1/10 poor effort, see me after class.

They have been 3rd party before, and before the company eventually dies, they will be again.

I have decided quite some time ago not to respond to you when talking about Nintendo, since you obviously can't have a level headed discussion about them since you're blinded by hate - and this is highlighted in the bolded part of your post.

Hate? purely logic, but hey if it gets you out of addressing the points i raised then go for it.

But, for the sake of argument, lets pick apart the post I made, to show how much I hate Nintendo shall we?

But if comparing mediocre Sonic games that nobody really wanted or cared for to Nintendo titles is logical and fair in your mind then none of us here can help you.

Huh weird, it almost sounds like I am saying comparing a mediocre Sonic games sales performance to a Nintendo games sales performance isnt logical or fair... hell one might even consider that me saying "nintendo games sell better than sonic games", but hey, that would go against the nintendo hater group you thoughtfully swept me in to, right?

The real gem of this all however, is as a WiiU, Wii, DS, DSi, GB, GBC, GBM, GBA, GC and 3DS owner, I'm being told by someone that hasn't yet gone out and bought himself a WiiU, That my posts are ignored because I hate Nintendo, beautiful, just beautiful.

I don't understand why you're singling out Sonic from that list. How about LBP or LBP Karting? Playstation All-Star Battle Royale? Or jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank? Prince of Persia? Are ALL of these games mediocre? Truth is, playstation gamers aren't that into platformers, and xbox gamers even less so.

And from every post you've made about Nintendo that I've seen, the bolded part in your original post fits better with what you usually think about them, and THAT'S why I don't want to discuss with you. I think this sums up your views of Nintendo pretty nicely: "before the company eventually dies, they will be [a 3rd party developer] again"

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

pezus said:

The big flaw here is that fans of Nintendo games would go where their games go...

They're not fans of Nintendo consoles, but their games.

But would they really? Think about this now, really think about it: if Nintendo fans don't even wanna buy a $300 Nintendo console, do you REALLY think they will buy a console for $400 or $500?

Around the Network
AnthonyW86 said:
''This list makes it quite apparent that the Playstation and Xbox crowd isn't that interested in Nintendo like games''

Correct, because people who like Nintendo like games buy a Nintendo system. If they didn't have that option, they would just buy these games on a different system.

Many people(probably most) bought a Wii for the motion controls. Still because of this larger install Nintendo managed to sell much more of their other franchises aswell.

But would they really? Think about this now, really think about it: if Nintendo fans don't even wanna buy a $300 Nintendo console, do you REALLY think they will buy a console for $400 or $500? Maybe they would rather pay $200 and STILL get Nintendo games? That would be great news for the 3DS...

Kyuu said:
DanneSandin said:
Kyuu said:
Well you can list racing game sales on Sony's consoles and exclude only Gran Turismo, then you'll succeed to make it look that Racing games wont be successful on Sony's consoles no matter how big their names are.

Huge games like Mario don't abide to these laws. Nintendo-Like games don't sell that well mostly due to lower quality compared to Nintendo. Hence why LBP sold extremely well for a new IP. And are you forgetting how much Spyro and Crash games used to sell on Playstation 1?

A racing sim game and a Kart game isn't the same dude... c'mon.

And while Crash did very well back in the day, it was also one of the first 3D games to hit PS1, and doing it right. And PS3/PS4 isn't the PS1. The market today is a lot more diverse and divided, and platforming as a genre has been on a decline since those days, only getting somewhat of a resurgance in the last few days.

That's irrelivant to what I'm saying. The entire racing genre on Playstation/Xbox isn't looking very successful. Yet Gran Turismo sales have always been phenomenal despite the apparent weakness of that genre. So in the end of the day, name and quality play a very important role.

Also, Nintendo's massive fanbase don't own a Wii U anyway. If Nintendo goes third party and continues making excellent games, I'm sure it will attract a lot of fans into buying XB1/PS4. You speak as if Nintendo's fanbase will suddenly "disappear" if they leave the console business.

In a sense, going third party should accelerate Nintendo's sales because they will theoretically have access to all of the big 3's fanbases. Of course unless they screw up like Sega did.

Having said that, I don't want them to go third party because I feel that may cause them to lose that "passion" of making great games.

What I said in the OP is that some might disappear from home consoles altogether, because they would get a 3DS. And if Nintendo fans are hesistant to getting a $300 console, how inclinded do you think they would be to getting a console for $400? Or $500? I'm not saying that they would disappear, but that some might stop gaming on home consoles, and others would simply get a 3DS, while others would migrate to PS4/X1.

And like I showed in the OP, platformers aren't popular with PS4/X1 gamers, so while they might compensate for the disappeared Nintendo fans, they would hardly be enough to offset the increased costs that comes with being a 3rd party developer (increased ads, dev costs, royalties).

And if they lost their passion for making games, wouldn't that mean a drop in quality? And wouldn't that in turn mean less sales? And we all know that leads to less profit, and the very reason why they shouldn't go 3rd party.

vivster said:
DanneSandin said:
vivster said:
Yes let's compare the most sought after and recognizable franchises in the world with some second tier shit.
Also They would've sold more if there were no Wii. And they will sell on the consoles they are out because the Nintendo crowd will move there.
Also I fail to see how they are similar to Nintendo titles.
Also the royalties they would have to pay to MS and Sony would be the same amount they would have to take now to subsidize their hardware.

This argument is so flawed that I don't know if I should point and laugh or cry for humanity.

But will the Nintendo crowd really move to the PS4/X1? We don't know. One of the arguments as to why the Wii U is failing is because people can play the same games on the 3DS, thus cutting into Wii U's sales. It's more likely that a big chunk of Nintendo gamers would migrate to handhelds, not ALL of them, but enough to be noticeble when Mario comes out on PS4/X1.

And like I said in the OP; Nintendo is in this for the long run, not just short term profits, ergo, they might make more profits on PS4/X1 this generation, but they could make more money on their NEXT console, even if that console only sell 50m units.

Players migrate to the systems where the games are they would like to play. If they want to play Nintendo games and there are no Nintendo consoles, they will move there. You could argue that they will move to mobile instead but that will happen regardless of Nintendo Hardware.

There will not be a long run for Nintendo if they don't sell enough consoles to move their games. I'm not sure about the next console generation but if MS and Sony hit this one out of the park then I don't see any chance for a successful Nintendo console ever again. Since the PS1 Nintendo is losing and the Wii is a one time success that will never repeat itself. And while Nintendo is struggling to even bring the most basic franchises to their consoles, MS and Sony are building up new and powerful franchises trhat will soon rival the ones on Nintendo in quantity and quality.

If Nintendo doesn't act soon there might not be enough crowd left to buy their games. Especially if it is on a closed system that nobody wants.

But would they really? Think about this now, really think about it: if Nintendo fans don't even wanna buy a $300 Nintendo console, do you REALLY think they will buy a console for $400 or $500? Maybe they would rather pay $200 and STILL get Nintendo games? That would be great news for the 3DS...

In the long run it would be better for Nintendo to change their way, and that doesn't mean becoming a 3rd party dev. The smart move would be to get with the times, and listen to what both 3rd party devs AND fans want - and that's impossible to do once you go 3rd party...

BasilZero said:
DanneSandin said:

Let's compare games that are similar to the ones that Nintendo makes, shall we?

None of those games are similar to the ones Nintendo makes though :O

@OT - I think the yield of sales would increase if Nintendo did go third party :o - cause mainly the only reason why people dont play Nintendo games is because they dont buy Nintendo systems but their competitor systems instead.

Really? So none of them are platformers, or have similarities to other Nintendo games?

Do you think NSMBWii or Mario Kart Wii could have pulled off 30m in sales on PS3 and X360? And even if they did, to offset the royalties and other increased costs, they would have sold a lot more copies than 30m to be as profitable.

lucidium said:
DanneSandin said:

Point 1) Nintendo's games would hardly sell more on PS4/X1 than on Nintendo's own consoles since those genre don't have a track record that supports that point.

Point 2) Selling less games, or even selling as many games as on Nintendo's own console, still would mean lost profits due to the royalties.

Point3) A lot of Nintendo's smaller franchises wouldn't make as much money any more, due to royalties

Point 4) More competition means more advertisment, which means spening more money, and that means less profits

GoW and Fable are on the list to represent potential Zelda buyers, which might be one of the few Nintendo franchises that could see expanded sales - IF done in the style of Twilight Princess.

1) Since Nintendo game fans would have nowhere else to turn for Nintendo games, the sales would still be there, and any losses of sales because of the move would be picked up by Xbox and PlayStation fans, if you think otherwise you're foolish and.. ever so slightly delusional

Nintendo fans wants cheap HW, and $400-$500 isn't what they're looking for.

2) Not having to develop a new console would take a large portion of that loss away, not having to pay the workers and maintanence of the factories they own, also takes from the loss, the factories could also be sold, further detracting from that loss to a point where they are actually better off.

That's a profit in the short term, kind of like when Sony sold off their HQ's...

3) A lot of Nintendos smaller franchises don't sell well regardless, or are you going to tell me Pikmin 3 is a runaway success that had people falling over themselves to buy a WiiU.

And these franchises would possibly sell even less, when they would have to sell MORE to simply be just as profitable as they are now. And that's another reason why they shouldn't go 3rd party.

4) Why would they need to advertise any more than they already do?, just because the game releases on another console does not mean that it suddenly has new games to contend with, those games were always there, and frankly, if sales for mario titles declined because other games existed on the SAME console, then it would just go to show that the brand really isnt as strong as Nintendo fans believe, and were only seeing artificial numbers fueled by the lack of competition on their own platform.

Whether or not Mario is or isn't as strong a brand as Nintendo fans thinks is besides the point. The point is sales and profits. If Mario games would decline in sales because of more competition, the more reason for Nintendo to NOT go 3rd party.

Everything else is just nonsenical poorly thought out padding to what is essentially a poor argument against Nintendo becoming third party.

You would think that, wouldn't you?