By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo would fail as 3rd party, and here's why!

Yes let's compare the most sought after and recognizable franchises in the world with some second tier shit.
Also They would've sold more if there were no Wii. And they will sell on the consoles they are out because the Nintendo crowd will move there.
Also I fail to see how they are similar to Nintendo titles.
Also the royalties they would have to pay to MS and Sony would be the same amount they would have to take now to subsidize their hardware.

This argument is so flawed that I don't know if I should point and laugh or cry for humanity.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
Non-nintendo game sales comparisons to nintendo games, as if it is accurate in any way to how nintendo titles would perform on Xbox or Sony consoles if Xbox and Sony fans could buy them and Nintendo fans had nowhere else to get their fix.

From what I gather, you are more trying to convince yourself that it can't and wont happen, than anyone else.

But if comparing mediocre Sonic games that nobody really wanted or cared for to Nintendo titles is logical and fair in your mind then none of us here can help you.

1/10 poor effort, see me after class.

They have been 3rd party before, and before the company eventually dies, they will be again.

Vasto said:
DanneSandin said:
Vasto said:
AZWification said:
Vasto said:

I don't think they will either. Other then Mario and Zelda what else do they have?

Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero, Xenoblade/X, Earthbound, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Pikmin, Kirby, Yoshi and many others.. Nintendo has a  ton of  franchises, man.

But how many do they have that people actually care about? LMAO

How many franchises do sony or MS have that people actually care about?

I have no idea, you tell me.

Not as many, that's how many.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

OP, you are a foolish thinker

If the only reason people buy a Nintendo console is to buy Nintendo games (generally ignoring the 3rd party games on that Nintendo platform), then surely they would buy those games on a non-Nintendo console.

I think the reason the Wii U is unsuccessful is because the gamer crowd that buy consoles would only by that Nintendo console as a 2nd or 3rd console as they think about migrating to 8th gen. The few gamers in the market that would get Wii U as the 1st/primary 8th gen console already bought the system and there are not that many of those types of gamers out there. The reason they consider the Nintendo console is relegated to 2nd or 3rd console choice, is simply due to confidence that gamer population has that the Nintendo console will be missing many of the best AAA 3rd party software offerings and the few stellar "Nintendo" titles are not enough to counter their system missing all those other great games.

The people that adopted the Wii in droves either migrated to X360 / PS3 after the novelty of "motion" controls on Wii wore off and they found better options available on X360 / PS3 with HD graphics and better online services, or they moved to iOS / Android tablets (and show no signs of returning to consoles).

Some of the highest selling games of last gen were Nintendo games on Wii like Mario Kart Wii, Smash Bros Brawl, and New Super Mario Bros Wii. I am talking 20+ million sold for each of those. Thats more than GTA V or Halo or really anything else on any of the other 7th gen consoles. This only occurred because the Wii hardware already had massive penetration into many gaming households on the strength of that initial offering of Wii Sports. This means even as people switched from Wii to PS3 / X360 as their primary, they kept the Wii as a second console and whenever these quality titles came out, they took notice and revisited the Wii even with the sub-standard SD graphics because these games were just that much worthwhile on other traits.

The Wii U unfortunately released a Year too late or a Year too early to have any kind of decent adoption in a limited market of potential gamers (mass of casuals having already largely migrated to tablets). With the PS4/XBO just a year away, majority of gamers knew they are better off waiting when Wii U released. With the PS4/XBO just released, majority of gamers don't have enough money/need to pick up more than 1 new 8th gen console and they are clearly deciding for PS4/XBO over Wii U.

People that fell for a "gimmick" attraction like motion controls after 15+ years of traditional controls will not be so easily fooled again with a "gimmick" offering in the controls. The 7th gen proved that most consistent gamers are looking for innovation/evolution in the actual games content and the experience and with improved social/online connected features within the game. They don't care as much for "gimmick" controls.

This doesn't mean that they have no desire to play excellent family friendly games like Mario 2D / 3D, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, or even Zelda / Metroid (much less demand). You will note all of these (best of Nintendo IP games) still control best with traditional controls. It just means they are not willing to give up on all the other games (AC, EA Sports, Battlefield, Dragon Age, Tomb Raider, Hitman, GTA, Dark Souls, MGS, Uncharted, Halo, The Crew, Division, Destiny, Final Fantasy, and countless others) just to prioritize access to the "Nintendo" games.

Give it another year or so, and the people that have newly adopted PS4 / XBO as their 8th gen console of choice will likely open up more to possibility of a 2nd console. At that time, the Nintendo exclusives library will be what competes against either the PS4 or XBO exclusives and based on the quality of the Wii U exclusives so far already, I think the Wii U will present a strong argument (especially with 2014 offering Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Bayonetta 2, Monolith X, Donkey Kong Country - Tropical Freeze, and more).

S.T.A.G.E. said:
DanneSandin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Do not use Sega as an example for Nintendo. Nintendo without much third party sold three times what the Dreamcast sold during the N64 era and twice what it sold during the GC era mainly off of first party. Spread those sales out and they would have a better future. Yes, they wouldn't be able to bundle games but Mario is a household staple and Sonic the Hedgehog, though a classic Sega name isn't a household name.

Read the OP before posting. Never ONCE did I mention Sega.

The other games from Sony have been marketed in a niche fashion  as well. Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank. Sony should bundle those games with consols to get people reaquainted with them. Nintendo made Mario popular by bundling him and last gen same thing with Mario Kart. When you leave games to themselves sometimes they sell half of what they sold if they were bundled. Fable sold well based on a false promise of something great. Very competent world, but not even a challenge. Great entree game for children. I had much harder games than Fable to start with as a child and the game sold better than even those. Mario stands out in the crowd from all of those games. Mario and Nintendos other games are stand out products and represent masterful branding and quality. Sonic had lost people since the Dreamcast days and Jak and Daxter and Rachet and Clank were second tier since the PS2 era even though they are arguably fun games. Essentially none of the games you posted are even in Mario's league (or many of Nintendo's platformers for that matter).

Personally, I don't even understand why God of War and Fable are even on the list since they don't truly represent the platforming genres.

We all know Mario Kart sold more than 20m copies before the console bundles...

I agree none of the games even compare with Nintendo's, but the point is to show that those genres don't do well on playstation or xbox, so we can't expect that Mario will sell MORE on either those consoles than on Nintendo's own. Besides, those games would need to sell even MORE on PS4/X1 because of the royalties. How come everyone misses THAT point? It's one of the MAIN points.

Point 1) Nintendo's games would hardly sell more on PS4/X1 than on Nintendo's own consoles since those genre don't have a track record that supports that point.

Point 2) Selling less games, or even selling as many games as on Nintendo's own console, still would mean lost profits due to the royalties.

Point3) A lot of Nintendo's smaller franchises wouldn't make as much money any more, due to royalties

Point 4) More competition means more advertisment, which means spening more money, and that means less profits

GoW and Fable are on the list to represent potential Zelda buyers, which might be one of the few Nintendo franchises that could see expanded sales - IF done in the style of Twilight Princess.

Around the Network
vivster said:
Yes let's compare the most sought after and recognizable franchises in the world with some second tier shit.
Also They would've sold more if there were no Wii. And they will sell on the consoles they are out because the Nintendo crowd will move there.
Also I fail to see how they are similar to Nintendo titles.
Also the royalties they would have to pay to MS and Sony would be the same amount they would have to take now to subsidize their hardware.

This argument is so flawed that I don't know if I should point and laugh or cry for humanity.

But will the Nintendo crowd really move to the PS4/X1? We don't know. One of the arguments as to why the Wii U is failing is because people can play the same games on the 3DS, thus cutting into Wii U's sales. It's more likely that a big chunk of Nintendo gamers would migrate to handhelds, not ALL of them, but enough to be noticeble when Mario comes out on PS4/X1.

And like I said in the OP; Nintendo is in this for the long run, not just short term profits, ergo, they might make more profits on PS4/X1 this generation, but they could make more money on their NEXT console, even if that console only sell 50m units.

Kyuu said:
Well you can list racing game sales on Sony's consoles and exclude only Gran Turismo, then you'll succeed to make it look that Racing games wont be successful on Sony's consoles no matter how big their names are.

Huge games like Mario don't abide to these laws. Nintendo-Like games don't sell that well mostly due to lower quality compared to Nintendo. Hence why LBP sold extremely well for a new IP. And are you forgetting how much Spyro and Crash games used to sell on Playstation 1?

A racing sim game and a Kart game isn't the same dude... c'mon.

And while Crash did very well back in the day, it was also one of the first 3D games to hit PS1, and doing it right. And PS3/PS4 isn't the PS1. The market today is a lot more diverse and divided, and platforming as a genre has been on a decline since those days, only getting somewhat of a resurgance in the last few days.

DanneSandin said:

Point 1) Nintendo's games would hardly sell more on PS4/X1 than on Nintendo's own consoles since those genre don't have a track record that supports that point.

Point 2) Selling less games, or even selling as many games as on Nintendo's own console, still would mean lost profits due to the royalties.

Point3) A lot of Nintendo's smaller franchises wouldn't make as much money any more, due to royalties

Point 4) More competition means more advertisment, which means spening more money, and that means less profits

GoW and Fable are on the list to represent potential Zelda buyers, which might be one of the few Nintendo franchises that could see expanded sales - IF done in the style of Twilight Princess.

1) Since Nintendo game fans would have nowhere else to turn for Nintendo games, the sales would still be there, and any losses of sales because of the move would be picked up by Xbox and PlayStation fans, if you think otherwise you're foolish and.. ever so slightly delusional

2) Not having to develop a new console would take a large portion of that loss away, not having to pay the workers and maintanence of the factories they own, also takes from the loss, the factories could also be sold, further detracting from that loss to a point where they are actually better off.

3) A lot of Nintendos smaller franchises don't sell well regardless, or are you going to tell me Pikmin 3 is a runaway success that had people falling over themselves to buy a WiiU.

4) Why would they need to advertise any more than they already do?, just because the game releases on another console does not mean that it suddenly has new games to contend with, those games were always there, and frankly, if sales for mario titles declined because other games existed on the SAME console, then it would just go to show that the brand really isnt as strong as Nintendo fans believe, and were only seeing artificial numbers fueled by the lack of competition on their own platform.

Everything else is just nonsenical poorly thought out padding to what is essentially a poor argument against Nintendo becoming third party.

lucidium said:
DanneSandin said:
Non-nintendo game sales comparisons to nintendo games, as if it is accurate in any way to how nintendo titles would perform on Xbox or Sony consoles if Xbox and Sony fans could buy them and Nintendo fans had nowhere else to get their fix.

From what I gather, you are more trying to convince yourself that it can't and wont happen, than anyone else.

But if comparing mediocre Sonic games that nobody really wanted or cared for to Nintendo titles is logical and fair in your mind then none of us here can help you.

1/10 poor effort, see me after class.

They have been 3rd party before, and before the company eventually dies, they will be again.

I have decided quite some time ago not to respond to you when talking about Nintendo, since you obviously can't have a level headed discussion about them since you're blinded by hate - and this is highlighted in the bolded part of your post.

I don't think they would fail. In fact, I think they would do nicely. However, I do agree that they would not come close to the numbers they see on their own console.

Part of why Nintendo games sell so many units is that they effectively have a captive audience. Third-party titles are few and far between on their home consoles. If you want to buy a new game for your Wii U then you'll probably be giving your coin to Nintendo. Also, being the console manufacturer, they can direct all the attention toward their own titles. This is something Nintendo does better than anyone and which I've long suspected many third-party publishers resent. Nintendo sells Nintendo products aggressively, while Microsoft and Sony spend a lot of time and energy selling the products of others.

Nintendo games on other systems would obviously not see the same level of advertising. They would have to depend more on outside media advertising and they would have to push each and every release. The lower level Nintendo games would likely perform poorly. It's possible we would see their output retract.

I'm also willing to bet that a lot of Nintendo-only gamers would see the scope of their interests expand if they had to buy a Sony or Microsoft console. There really is so much more content on those machines. I think quite a few of them would have to drop out of the "buys anything Nintendo makes" club, as some of their purchase slots would be occupied by other selections.

Of course, there would also be further opportunities for Nintendo. I'd be willing to bet that Metroid would sell better on Xbox/Playstation than only on a Nintendo console. Mario Kart and SmaBro would likely perform extremely well and benefit financially from the DLC culture.

Now, all of that said, I think Nintendo will be fine as a console manufacturer if they just lower their projections and modify their business model. They can do quite well for themselves even if that means "third place".