By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So what are the chances of the Wii-U becoming another PS3?

Do you still have faith in Wii-U, and can it be another PS3-esq story?

Hell yeah it can! 71 16.03%

Maybe 76 17.16%

Not sure... 53 11.96%

No way in hell 200 45.15%

The PS3 was a success? 43 9.71%

Total:443

After the release of Nintendo's financial forcast followed by all the gloom and doom articles, one like myself looks back and remembers the early days of the PS3. A time when Sony, kindof like Nintendo at the start of this gen, thought their brand was unbeatable, and it end up costing them billions and the PS3 itself not even turning a profit until 2010. Thing is, Sony did a complete turn around with the PS3 by turning it into a strong console with a strong lineup and eventually becoming one of the best selling home consoles in history at 82.5 million and still going strong, and eventually becoming a success story overall. So the thought is, is it possible for the Wii-U to turn around like the PS3 did? While I'm pretty sure the Wii-U is nowhere near where the PS3 was at this point in it's life, it still hasn't cost Nintendo as much as the PS3 did for Sony. What do you guys think?

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Around the Network

The PS3 was a miracle for the most part. The WII U hasn't a chance in hell of ever recovering like that and to make matters worse all of their franchises lost alot of power too which makes me doubt that it can top the gamecube.

zero.

We will be in a much better place to know the answer to that after the investors meeting at the end of the month. Nintendo have historically never poured a lot of money into their home consoles after their release but if they want to increase market share they're going to need to invest hundreds of millions of dollars. Iwata has promised massive changes though, so maybe we'll see a turnaround.

They need massive third party exclusives.

1%

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Around the Network

Even as a Nintendo fan, I think the chances are slim... The main difference between the ps3 and the wiiU is that the ps3 was the most powerful console of the 7th generation vs the wiiU is the least powerful console of the 8th generation so that basically means is, Even though the cell was hard to develop for, the power was strong enough that once the developers learnt it, they could port over their games without having much limitations but with the wiiU... they have to port and downgrade their graphics and etc to make it run on the wiiU although it is easier to develop for than the cell...

But who knows... Anything can happen since Iwata took resposibility for low sales... Oh wait...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

PS3 never dropped as low as Wii U. It was way more expensive so there was more space for price drops. Sony burned lots of money to get things going for the PS3 - price drops, studio acquiring, exclusives, and so on. There are those legendary Nintendo hills of gold, but I'm not sure that there is enough to even take such a risk to push, cause if that would fail Nintendo would be on a brink of collapse. Plus 3rd parties were still for the most part with the PS3. Wii U doesn't have that luxury.

So no, there is no chance for such a comeback imo.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

sales wise or loss wise? sales wise, not a snow balls chance in hell. Unless you are talking about porportional wise which would mean Wii U gets ~35M... then I give it about 10% chance.

loss wise? about 20% chance if Nintendo decides to do something stupid like drop the price to 200$

Highly impossible.

Lucky for us, everything that nitnendo did with sucess was highly impossible too(came back from gamecube era to wii era, make consoles popular again with NES).

3DS was a big turn around, doesn't matter how you look at it. So, i will keep believing. Nintendo never do the expected.

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko

Not as things stand. When the PS3 started failing Sony quickly changed upper management. Wii U's failing and... well upper management that caused the mess is still there.