By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo just needs to go third party on consoles only

SubiyaCryolite said:
No, they should retain their hardware but this "overclocked last gen hardware with unique controller" nonsense has to end. At least have Half the power of the competition, have a well thought out conventional controller. For pete's sake get REAL third party support, like a of Grand Theft Auto or Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (a non sucky one please). Launch with Mario or Zelda out the gate. Do online right, make third partys have their own storefronts online if need be. Change your image, no blood needed. More Link and Samus less Mario and DK in the west at least. Unified achievements wont kill you Nintendo, damn. Start innovating. Stop playing NICE.

My favorite quotes are ones where people list things Sony and Microsoft have and say Nintendo needs to do them things and equate that with INNOVATING.

Innovating is doing somehting that other companies are not.  Adding trophies, getting 3rd parties that the other consoles have, some other online feature the others have, ect.  THAT IS NOT INNOVATING.  

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
SubiyaCryolite said:

>_>

In summary you dont need inferior hardware, radically new controllers that get dropped after one generation and zero third party support to be "unique". It wouldnt hurt to have a reasonably powerful, well executed,  conventional console with compelling games, good online and extra features either.

Don't you have a PC to play third party games on?

most console owners don't have gaming pc, infact most only own one console, only the very hardcore own 2 consoles or console+pc combo. every console has exclusives i'm interested in, sony 1st party being the best for me, nintendo coming in second and microsoft coming in third but if sony switched places with nintedno weaker hardware, no thid party support, i would choose nintedo console in a second.

drake4 said:
RolStoppable said:
SubiyaCryolite said:

>_>

In summary you dont need inferior hardware, radically new controllers that get dropped after one generation and zero third party support to be "unique". It wouldnt hurt to have a reasonably powerful, well executed,  conventional console with compelling games, good online and extra features either.

most console owners don't have gaming pc, infact most only own one console, only the very hardcore own 2 consoles or console+pc combo. every console has exclusives i'm interested in, sony 1st party being the best for me, nintendo coming in second and microsoft coming in third but if sony switched places with nintedno weaker hardware, no thid party support, i would choose nintedo console in a second.

But he does, or he's lying:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5977991

RolStoppable said:
SubiyaCryolite said:

>_>

Yeah, having a gaming PC didnt stop me from getting Mass Effect 3, Black Flag or Most Wanted on my Wii U. Not all of us are binary. Id rather play Phantom Pain on my WiiU than wait God knows how long for a PC version. Oh wait, thats not going to happen.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Soundwave said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
RolStoppable said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
No, they should retain their hardware but this "overclocked last gen hardware with unique controller" nonsense has to end. At least have Half the power of the competition, have a well thought out conventional controller. For pete's sake get REAL third party support, like a of Grand Theft Auto or Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (a non sucky one please). Launch with Mario or Zelda out the gate. Do online right, make third partys have their own storefronts online if need be. Change your image, no blood needed. More Link and Samus less Mario and DK in the west at least. Unified achievements wont kill you Nintendo, damn. Start innovating. Stop playing NICE.

I don't get your post. Here's how it flows:

"Stop innovating. Copy. For real, copy. Do the same old, same old. Copy, bend over if you have to. Change image. More of the same old, same old. Copy, god damnit. Start innovating. Stop being unique."

>_>

Why do all that work when you can try to win the controller gimmick lottery though, lol. 

because it IS a gamble hence Wii U

Around the Network
Lenny93 said:
Metallicube said:
drake4 said:

They need to just go thirdparty on consoles, they just don't have the core market that sony and microsoft, they can't compete and nintendo knows that and thats why they made the wii, and it was a huge success but thats not happening again the blue ocean market has moved on, they are stuck with out a market and no third party support, chances of being succesful are nearly impossible, the console is really hurting the company, they better focusing on handhelds and making x1 and ps4 games.

As I've harped on a million times, it was not the MARKET that moved on.. It was NINTENDO that moved from them. The market is always there. Think about it, how could a mass of 80 million-or-so, all somehow collectively decide to move on and change their tastes, all at once? Doesn't make sense.. What DOES make sense is that THEY were the ones who were abandoned by Nintendo. For it was NINTENDO that oddly decided regress back to hardcore Gamecube style games with the Wii U, and throw a much more complex and intimidating controller than the Wiimote at them.. Even the Wii sequels they are releasing count as "core" type games now, as they are merely sequels and seek to bring in an audience that already exists. NINTENDO were the ones who decided to swim back into the red ocean, as they did with N64, Gamecube, and (somewhat) SNES. And as history has taught us, Red Ocean Nintendo never wins..

People always like to say how Nintendo is "doomed." Well, I would say that it is not Nintendo that is doomed.. it is "Red Ocean" version of Nintendo that is doomed. Blue Ocean Nintendo (NES/Wii) thrives, and dominates. This is the Nintendo people want to see, but they aren't getting the games that they want.. I'm talking about the mass market audience, who Nintendo abandoned after the NES, and again after the Wii. These people ARE still there, and they want quality games. REAL games, not that budget junk that populates smart phones.

Nintendo simply needs to return to their arcade roots (as they did with the Wii). The simple to learn-tough to master kinds of games that made both the NES and the Wii such a smash hit.. Nintendo could absolutely dominate yet again, if only they would wisen up and realize this.. The scary thing is, I think they KNOW this, but they REFUSE to do it, as Nintendo tends to be a stubborn kind of company that insists on making the kinds of games THEY want to make. Unfourtunately, the kinds of games they want to make often are not the games that people want to play, and vice versa..

Nintendo going third party is NO solution, unless your solution happens to be to kill the comapny.

You get it. This is the reason the Wii U has failed to take off. The reason why the Wii and DS were such huge successes was because of games like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Nintendogs and Brain training. The wii mote and touch screen allowed for more intuitive control that appealed to the casual market. Nintendo abandoning the blue market strategy is the stupidest things they have done, Gameboy Advance and Gamecube are examples of what sales numbers nintendo should expect without appealing to casual gamers and 3ds and Wii U seemed headed there.

the Wii U has those games you mentioned and if they dont they are getting them soon...so whats Wii u's problem then?

irstupid said:
SubiyaCryolite said:

My favorite quotes are ones where people list things Sony and Microsoft have and say Nintendo needs to do them things and equate that with INNOVATING.

Innovating is doing somehting that other companies are not.  Adding trophies, getting 3rd parties that the other consoles have, some other online feature the others have, ect.  THAT IS NOT INNOVATING.  

Well acheviements were a REAL innovation. We have them on consoles, PCs and tablets now. Online features not traditionally associated with Consoles are innovation.  What XBox Live did for consoles, was innovation. XBox One trigger feedback == innovation. Its not like Microsoft or Sony always "had" these things. Family sharing which got trashed on X1 was an inovation. Valve is doing the EXACT same thing and everyones singing their praises. Miiverse was an innovation, one of the few things the WiiU got right, it wont fade away after one generation. Theres alot of innovation in the industry if you blinded by brand loyalty.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

oniyide said:
Lenny93 said:
Metallicube said:
drake4 said:

They need to just go thirdparty on consoles, they just don't have the core market that sony and microsoft, they can't compete and nintendo knows that and thats why they made the wii, and it was a huge success but thats not happening again the blue ocean market has moved on, they are stuck with out a market and no third party support, chances of being succesful are nearly impossible, the console is really hurting the company, they better focusing on handhelds and making x1 and ps4 games.

As I've harped on a million times, it was not the MARKET that moved on.. It was NINTENDO that moved from them. The market is always there. Think about it, how could a mass of 80 million-or-so, all somehow collectively decide to move on and change their tastes, all at once? Doesn't make sense.. What DOES make sense is that THEY were the ones who were abandoned by Nintendo. For it was NINTENDO that oddly decided regress back to hardcore Gamecube style games with the Wii U, and throw a much more complex and intimidating controller than the Wiimote at them.. Even the Wii sequels they are releasing count as "core" type games now, as they are merely sequels and seek to bring in an audience that already exists. NINTENDO were the ones who decided to swim back into the red ocean, as they did with N64, Gamecube, and (somewhat) SNES. And as history has taught us, Red Ocean Nintendo never wins..

People always like to say how Nintendo is "doomed." Well, I would say that it is not Nintendo that is doomed.. it is "Red Ocean" version of Nintendo that is doomed. Blue Ocean Nintendo (NES/Wii) thrives, and dominates. This is the Nintendo people want to see, but they aren't getting the games that they want.. I'm talking about the mass market audience, who Nintendo abandoned after the NES, and again after the Wii. These people ARE still there, and they want quality games. REAL games, not that budget junk that populates smart phones.

Nintendo simply needs to return to their arcade roots (as they did with the Wii). The simple to learn-tough to master kinds of games that made both the NES and the Wii such a smash hit.. Nintendo could absolutely dominate yet again, if only they would wisen up and realize this.. The scary thing is, I think they KNOW this, but they REFUSE to do it, as Nintendo tends to be a stubborn kind of company that insists on making the kinds of games THEY want to make. Unfourtunately, the kinds of games they want to make often are not the games that people want to play, and vice versa..

Nintendo going third party is NO solution, unless your solution happens to be to kill the comapny.

You get it. This is the reason the Wii U has failed to take off. The reason why the Wii and DS were such huge successes was because of games like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Nintendogs and Brain training. The wii mote and touch screen allowed for more intuitive control that appealed to the casual market. Nintendo abandoning the blue market strategy is the stupidest things they have done, Gameboy Advance and Gamecube are examples of what sales numbers nintendo should expect without appealing to casual gamers and 3ds and Wii U seemed headed there.

the Wii U has those games you mentioned and if they dont they are getting them soon...so whats Wii u's problem then?

You just imagined all these games. They're not real. Toy poodle is totally hardcore. 

drake4 said:
PenguinZ said:
drake4 said:
PenguinZ said:

This idea makes no sense whatsoever. There is no compelling argument that exists in this thread or in general for what's being suggested.

If Nintendo should go third party, then Sony and Microsoft should have gone third party years ago.

ps4 and x1 are selling great, much better then wiiu, and have full third party support, while every third pary is dropping the wiiu. if sony or x1 was in the same position i would also recommend for them to go thirdparty, it's selling like a dead console and third party's ignore you, its time to consider something else.

Well then I guess you would've have been one of the ones to suggest that Sony go third party after their blunder with the PS3... 

no i wasn't .third party support was always strong on ps3, it was pretty obvious the price was hurting the ps3, it was an easy fix, but a painful one for sony, cause of the losses, what's the fix for wiiu to start taking off, price it's already cheap, third party games don't sell, so third party's have givin up, i can't think of anything that can save the wiiu.

Yup, the fact that the Wii U failed should push Nintendo to abandon all the money they could make in the future to go third party to make smaller revenue... Do you even understand how much potential money and revenue a company loses going from a console maker to third party... I don't think you do. This is something that a company would do as a last resort... When they can no longer sustain themselves. Nintendo has had a horrible time with the Wii U, and it has been a massive failure for them, but they have the cash in the bank to build their future. It is not enough for them to give up that potential revenue.

Can you imagine how much money Nintendo would have lost if they went third party after the GameCube? I am sure you're ringing the same tune as people did during the GameCube era. I don't see anything that would heavily swing the fate of the Wii U at the moment, but that doesn't instantly doom their future.

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

i like how the major argument against Ninty going 3rd party is saying look what happened to Sega. Please do some research, Sega messed up LONG before they went 3rd party, they WENT 3rd party cause the messed up so consistenly. Sega CD, 32x, Saturn all come to mind, dumping a bunch of money on one game (Shenmue) didnt help. And lets not talk about game quality, its not like systems after Genesis had stellar lineups, 32x's sucked and im talking the Sega stuff, Knuckles Chaotix wasnt even completed! Sega Cd had really one stellar game, Sonic. Saturn didnt even have a true Sonic game. Dreamcast was fine but the damgae was done. Someone tell me a Sega series that really went to crap right after they went 3rd party? Dont say Sonic, the Advance games are great. better ports of Adventure series, etc.

Edit: keep in mind I'm not saying Ninty should go 3rd party, i really could care less. I'm just calling out the factual wrong arguments for them NOT doing so.