By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales - Media Create, Famitsu & Dengeki Week 2 ( Jan 6 - Jan 12) I love pink!

Wow, looks like hardware is down something like 30% YOY. That is not so good.

I feel like the whole industry is playing a game of Limbo right now, and I'm just waiting to see how low they all go. One way or the other, I think this is going to be a dramatic year for gaming.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

Around the Network

The Wii U has cancelled out my joy for Kirby.

Love and tolerate.

If Squeenix didn't underestimate Vita sales, I think Vita has a chance outselling PS3 in FFX|X-2 Numbers. I can't blame them though, releasing something unproven yet that will sell on a small user base is something to be considered.

Very harsh drop for WiiU. Could even drop below 50k WW the week after these numbers (3rd week of the year) already.

Can any of our JP members explain how GTA5 is continually in the JP charts?

Is the word of mouth simply that good over there?

Around the Network

Wii U had a slightly steeper drop than I expected. Based on these sales I think Wii U will at best reach 65 000 systems world wide this week, but a more conservative estimate would be 50 000-55 000 systems. My Q1 estimate since the end of December has been atleast 75 000 systems sold each week, for a total minimum of 900 000 systems in this quarter alone. Even though I still won't rule out Q1 sales of atleast 900 000 systems, it now seems to be quite a close call.

For Nintendo to go above 60 000 this week, Super Mario 3D World needs to show some very strong legs in the west. There are some indications that suggests the game really does have strong legs.

Also don't forget what impact the retail release of Wii Fit U might have on US-sales. Even though we will only see 2 days of Wii Fit U sales for that week, it will still be interesting to see how those 50 000 pre-orders of Wii Fit U will affect hardware sales.

I won't rule out 65 000 systems yet, but 75 000 is miles away with the latest figures from Japan.

Rogerioandrade said:

Now that the holiday boom is over, naturally everyone experienced huge drops.

Kirby had no competition that week. 3DS still dominating hardware and software charts, as usual. Monster Hunter 4, Pokemon, Puzzle and Dragons still selling well. Not bad for Zelda too. Will this trend ever end this generation? It doesn´t seem so

The WiiU hype seems over for now, but Super Mario 3D World still ranks among the 10 best sellers

Final Fantasy holding Vita hardware sales. I wonder if there´s any other game this year that will help drive more Vitas

Hatsune Miku, Sword Art Online, Disgaea 4 and Infinite Stratos 2 will all be big pushers for the Vita. Sword Art Online especially will be huge. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Iwata (stops laughing)

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Mythmaker1 said:
Wow, looks like hardware is down something like 30% YOY. That is not so good.

I feel like the whole industry is playing a game of Limbo right now, and I'm just waiting to see how low they all go. One way or the other, I think this is going to be a dramatic year for gaming.

Yes, it is. Overall business in the console market are down YOY since 2010. 2014 sales should be interesting to the industry......and to its future.

Barozi said:
Very harsh drop for WiiU. Could even drop below 50k WW the week after these numbers (3rd week of the year) already.

I would not be surprised. Software rarely pushes hardware in the long term, and the price cut didn't actually do much for the system's weekly sales. I think this next quarter is going to be a hard one for the Wii U.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.