By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales - Media Create, Famitsu & Dengeki Week 2 ( Jan 6 - Jan 12) I love pink!

pezus said:
Soundwave said:
Wii U drop is predictable, consoles are dead there, Wii U is dead everywhere basically, they are going to get two decent boosts this year with Mario Kart and Smash but otherwise sales will likely remain mediocre for long stretches in between.

Decent Vita hold, looks like it will be the defacto no.2 platform in Japan this gen, much like PSP, but significantly weaker.

IF PS4 doesn't outsell Vita in Japan I will personally eat YOUR hat (and mine!)

With what games? 90% of the software for the thing is Western games. It might as well be called the Playstation XBox. I just don't see it. I think its best case is to sell about on par with the PS3. 

Japan is just done with consoles. I think a full blown Nintendo tablet is well on its way (see that other thread) too ... that will be the final nail in the coffin for the Japanese console market. 

Around the Network
Rogerioandrade said:
Mythmaker1 said:
Wow, looks like hardware is down something like 30% YOY. That is not so good.

I feel like the whole industry is playing a game of Limbo right now, and I'm just waiting to see how low they all go. One way or the other, I think this is going to be a dramatic year for gaming.

Yes, it is. Overall business in the console market are down YOY since 2010. 2014 sales should be interesting to the industry......and to its future.

Absolutely. The way the Wii U is selling, it'll be up to the PS4 and XB1 to stimulate the industry this year...

Where's my lucky rabbit's foot...?

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

pezus said:
Acevil said:
Mummelmann said:
bosslug said:
Ouch at the complete animosity toward people who were optimistic for Wii U holding momentum. People actually talking about huge decline this week like it's some huge personal victory.

People were called out for unrealistic assumptions based on incomplete data on a site revolving around sales of consoles and software, how is this in any way uncalled for? Anyone who has spent any time in here knows that holidays are a really poor metric from which to deduce overall sales for the follwing year.

It's not about attacking people having hopes for their favorite console, at least for me; it's about calling out ridiculous and unfounded claims after the fact (and before and during, in my case) and against folks who are being downright silly and accounting only for their own wishes rather than market reality. People were being stupid about the whole thing, "Take that HATERS, the Wii U is set to dominate Japan, look at these November and December numbers! It's making a comeback!" It doesn't even have any contemporary competition yet and was even beaten by a machine that just entered its 8th year on the market and that never did that well over there to begin with.
It seems to me like a lot of Nintendo fans are doing what Sony fans did in 2006-2009; playing the victim card and acting overly defensive.

That said; if there still was any lingering doubts; I believe that anyone expecting the PS4 to set Japan on fire will be hugely diappointed as well, yet there seems to be quite a few of them.

While I wasn't following the Wii U expecatations, (I was more interested in 3DS in Japan). I think certain users do act like a personal agenda against companies, if you follow their regular posts. Not to say i think everyone is bad, for example i don't actually view Pezus as bad, I just like poking fun at him at times (Given he most likely hates it).

However I do agree with the bolded, and would be really interested to see what happens if that becomes true. 

Hey, I attacked nobody for their predictions in this thread O.o

@Soundwave: Been there done that. You're expecting PS4 to get abysmal Japanese support, I'm not. There's nothing that even suggests such a thing. Like I said in my edit, it's launching with a stronger JAPANESE lineup than many previous Playstations. All we can really do now is wait for it to release there and allow me to serve you crow when the "truth comes out"

I didn't mean you did, but I know some users view you negatively? maybe?

Soundwave said:
thismeintiel said:
Holy crap! I expected the Wii U to drop, but not this hard or fast. I was expecting sales to gradually drop over the coming weeks to a new norm of ~20K. It dropped to 14K in just a week.

Wonder if this means PS4 domination in Japan, now.

Take a good hard look at PS3's LTD, because PS4 will likely be even lower than that. 

A console with 90% Western centric games isn't doing anything in Japan, they've gone portable, people need to get over it. 

They'll have a good launch week I'll give it that, but sales will normalize to PS3 levels circa 2008 soon after IMO. 

Of all three markets Japan is the least "hardware hype" sensisitive country, you gotta have a library of constant software that appeals to the demographic, and I'm just not seeing it. 

No chance.  The PS4 will at least match, but most likely better, the PS3's sales.  So far, last gen home consoles have sold ~24.2M in Japan.  Do you seriously think that the home console market is going to shrink by 10M, to ~14M (8M PS4, 5M Wii U, 1M One)?  That's not going to happen.  Sure, it will probably shrink, but not more than 4M.  The PS4 is also launching to more hype and a much better price than the PS3, plus it has very little competition.  And given its easier development environment, games will start to flood the market for Japan.

pezus said:
Acevil said:
pezus said:

Hey, I attacked nobody for their predictions in this thread O.o

@Soundwave: Been there done that. You're expecting PS4 to get abysmal Japanese support, I'm not. There's nothing that even suggests such a thing. Like I said in my edit, it's launching with a stronger JAPANESE lineup than many previous Playstations. All we can really do now is wait for it to release there and allow me to serve you crow when the "truth comes out"

I didn't mean you did, but I know some users view you negatively? maybe?

Who isn't viewed negatively by some users? The more you post, the more likely you are to anger some users who don't agree with your views. I would be worried if no one viewed me negatively because that would mean no one was reading my posts.

You know what I mean, stop pulling my leg. 

Around the Network
Rogerioandrade said:
Touma said:

------Last year-------Now:

3DS 100,501 ------ 65 657
WiiU 20,912------- 14 029
PSV 10,534--------- 31 382

I wonder if it will last for Vita.

Vita is cheaper now than it was in Jan,2013 and it has Final Fantasy ; )

You DO feel the need to mention the Vita having Final Fantasy over and over. What does it mean in your head?

Does the WiiU have the same exact games it had last January and nothing new?

Quit the damage control and assess the situation logically.

Rogerioandrade said:
Touma said:

WiiU has Super Mario 3D World and comes bundled with 3 games now ; )

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Not suprised at the Wii U numbers, Japan is the most inconsistent región for consoles. It was obvious Wii U was in the holiday effect combine with no competition.

Somini said:
Rogerioandrade said:
Touma said:

You DO feel the need to mention the Vita having Final Fantasy over and over. What does it mean in your head?

Does the WiiU have the same exact games it had last January and nothing new?

Quit the damage control and assess the situation logically.

Well Final Fantasy is a large title , even a remake of the mainline title (If it wasn't there, you would see a lowered sales), but I do agree with you, Wii U had medium sized titles launched as well. 

Still don't understand why the Wii U hasn't had a price cut in Japan (At least to my knowledge it hasn't), maybe they are waiting for Mario kart?

Vita also has a new bundle coming out March 6th (probably to smooth out last years rise) looks good. Perceived value sometimes is the best value.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/01/07/playstation-vita-welcome-box-8gb-mem-card-headed-japan/