By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why do Americans praise fat people that lose weight?

I know people shouldn't get fat in the first place, but it ain't exactly a bad thing if you turn your life around and work to become healthy again and actually achieve it. Not an easy feat if you aren't in the right frame of mind. 

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network

to inspire other fat people.....

the obesity just inflated so much they start publishing people losing weight so other people have a mentality that they will also be praised if they lose weight....

it is the same when you tell your wife or gf that they are losing weight (if theyve been working on it like diet or exercise.)

we want to remind ourself that it is possible... that they are not alone.... that they can do it.

it is not that bad.

why do we want to put ex-drug addict to speak? we should not give him a credit if that is the concept...

but they overcome soemthing... and we want to spread the word.

cultural behavioral conditioning.
Sure we don't praise the people who stay thin and look great. We just have sex with them instead. I think both have their positives.

You seem to be basing this on the idea that all overweight people were trim growing up and came from healthy environments. That really isn't true. Many of them came from situations where they weren't given healthy diets or, at the least, learned some very bad habits.

As losing weight really is extremely hard, I think anyone who has overcome being raised in an unhealthy environment deserves a lot of praise.

So millions of fattys this: She did it.. I can do that to!

And billion of dollars are spend into the healthindustry because of that..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

It's because we're so fat.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Amusing OP. As to the reason why, pretty much all replies in this thread have covered that. It is hard to go back from addiction or in this case from being obese to physically fit.

Congratulating them acts as verbal positive reinforcement.

Because we want to show their horrid overweight image in TV and embarass them remembering how discusting they were.

Showing desirable women pertain to different show and we praise them with erections, nothing is more flattering than that to a woman.

And Who care about fit men? Not me.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

To encourage others I suppose.

d21lewis said:

We're all pretty much born on the same level playing field aside from birth defects, etc.  Why is a guy that starts off thin, becomes incredibly obese, and then loses a lot of weight (and is still kinda overweight) considered somewhat of a hero and a role model and the guy that showed discipline their entire life and is in great shape kinda ignored?

And yes, this is about the PS4 and Xbox One.

Just kidding.  Discuss.

When the XB1 gets its first redesign and loses weight and that spare tire known as the external power brick, it will be greatly praised.

Its slimmer cousin the PS4 on the other hand, will go largely ignored when it becomes only slightly thinner and smaller than before.