By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why do Americans praise fat people that lose weight?

We're all pretty much born on the same level playing field aside from birth defects, etc.  Why is a guy that starts off thin, becomes incredibly obese, and then loses a lot of weight (and is still kinda overweight) considered somewhat of a hero and a role model and the guy that showed discipline their entire life and is in great shape kinda ignored?

And yes, this is about the PS4 and Xbox One.

Just kidding.  Discuss.

Around the Network

Americans are contradictory.

The inspiration for this is that I just saw a story on CNN about a guy that lost a lot of weight. He's STILL in worse shape than me! How come he's on the news and I'm not? Should I start smoking and quit smoking? Will that make me newsworthy? Should I join a gang and then quit? Would that make me newsworthy? Why is fucking up and then going legit better than being legit all along? Pisses me off!

d21lewis said:

We're all pretty much born on the same level playing field aside from birth defects, etc.  Why is a guy that starts off thin, becomes incredibly obese, and then loses a lot of weight (and is still kinda overweight) considered somewhat of a hero and a role model and the guy that showed discipline their entire life and is in great shape kinda ignored?

Just kidding.  Discuss.

Because losing weight is a lot harder than maintaining your weight...

Wright said:

Americans are contradictory.

Yup. We are. :P

Around the Network

Same thing when people say "1 year sober" and get applause. Then we don't really clap for people saying "Always been sober".

It is nice, but we might recognize those that are just boring responsible people.

gergroy said:
d21lewis said:

Just kidding.  Discuss.

Because losing weight is a lot harder than maintaining your weight...

Then he should have maintained his weight in the first place instead of gaining....or is gaining the easiest option of all? 

To. E nice?

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

Augen said:

Same thing when people say "1 year sober" and get applause. Then we don't really clap for people saying "Always been sober".

It is nice, but we might recognize those that are just boring responsible people.

Well, I will applaud somebody that can go a year without drinking because I damn sure can't....wait a minute.

*calls CNN*

Why wouldn't you praise someone for improving themselves in some manner?