By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why do Americans praise fat people that lose weight?

i think its more to do with congratulating them on changing their lifestyles for the better.

Apart from that I dont understand it myself. I had a mum that cared enough not to make me fat.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

We're all pretty much born on the same level playing field aside from birth defects, etc.  Why is a guy that starts off thin, becomes incredibly obese, and then loses a lot of weight (and is still kinda overweight) considered somewhat of a hero and a role model and the guy that showed discipline their entire life and is in great shape kinda ignored?

And yes, this is about the PS4 and Xbox One.

Just kidding.  Discuss.

Just because some asshole made a tv show or sat on his news show and spouts off stories of this nature, and a few 10's of thousands of stay at home moms cry about said fat peoples' hero status while they eat bonbons and online shop at 2PM every day, does not mean that "Americans praise fat people that lose weight."  TV shows and TV news does not = real life.  That is like saying "Why do British people only care about soccer and awkward sitcom humor" and "South American people only care about scantily clad women with huge breasts, drug wars, and decapitations."

soulfly666 said:
d21lewis said:

We're all pretty much born on the same level playing field aside from birth defects, etc.  Why is a guy that starts off thin, becomes incredibly obese, and then loses a lot of weight (and is still kinda overweight) considered somewhat of a hero and a role model and the guy that showed discipline their entire life and is in great shape kinda ignored?

Just kidding.  Discuss.

Just because some asshole made a tv show or sat on his news show and spouts off stories of this nature, and a few 10's of thousands of stay at home moms cry about said fat peoples' hero status while they eat bonbons and online shop at 2PM every day, does not mean that "Americans praise fat people that lose weight."  TV shows and TV news does not = real life.  That is like saying "Why do British people only care about soccer and awkward sitcom humor" and "South American people only care about scantily clad women with huge breasts, drug wars, and decapitations."

Well, 10's of thousands of stay at home moms still = Some Americans.

Some Americans = Thread title still accurate.  

Accurate = IN YOUR FACE!!

d21lewis said:
soulfly666 said:
d21lewis said:

Just kidding.  Discuss.

Well, 10's of thousands of stay at home moms still = Some Americans.

Some Americans = Thread title still accurate.  

Accurate = IN YOUR FACE!!

HAHA Indeed, indeed.  Point taken, sir.

soudon'ty666 said:
d21lewis said:

We're all  much born on the same level playing field aside from birth defects, etc.  Why is a guy that starts off thin, becomes incredibly obese, and then loses a lot of weight (and is still kinda overweight) considered somewhat of a hero and a role model and the guy that showed discipline their entire life and is in great shape kinda ignored?

Just kidding.  Discuss.

We don't have a lot of shows for those in brazil.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

It's a question within itself. Why do we praise fat people who loose weight? why do people watch reality tv shows about about housewives, teenagers who are pregant/mothers? or shows about like Jersey Shore? This may just explain it!

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/science/130524/western-iqs-drop-14-points-last-century-study-says-2

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

I don't think it's really an American thing. If you watch The Biggest Loser UK you see the same thing.

People just love a good underdog story.

*showed discipline*

What the fuck are you talking about. As if people who are obese lack discipline, they're not getting fat becoz they want to. Some people eat a lot and dont get fat, its how their body works. My bro eats a lot of junk food, doesnt work out and is still a skinny dude.

I have lost around 20kg in the past 2.5 months, went through hell to make that happen, that is showing discipline and being resolute despite being hungry all the time and withstanding temptation of eating food. I got overweight this year through personal problems and depression. You are incredibly arrogant if you think there is not a story attached to overweight people. Its easy to say that fat people should just quit eating and go to gym, but from your POV you will never understand how hard the transition is. Still 10kg to go, I really feel like a hero that should be applauded.

Turkish said:
*showed discipline*

What the fuck are you talking about. As if people who are obese lack discipline, they're not getting fat becoz they want to. Some people eat a lot and dont get fat, its how their body works. My bro eats a lot of junk food, doesnt work out and is still a skinny dude.

I have lost around 20kg in the past 2.5 months, went through hell to make that happen, that is showing discipline and being resolute despite being hungry all the time and withstanding temptation of eating food. I got overweight this year through personal problems and depression. You are incredibly arrogant if you think there is not a story attached to overweight people. Its easy to say that fat people should just quit eating and go to gym, but from your POV you will never understand how hard the transition is. Still 10kg to go, I really feel like a hero that should be applauded.

I'm sorry, Turkish.  I always assumed you looked like Jason Statham from the movie "Snatch".  

It was more of a tongue in cheek thread made in the spur of the moment.  I'm sure you're not going to let the words of some internet random discourage you.  Keep up the hard work, man.  In all honesty, I understand overcoming circumstances that you may or may not have control over.  I just approach situations with a bit of levity.  Some times, it's in poor taste.

d21lewis said:
Turkish said:
*showed discipline*

I'm sorry, Turkish.  I always assumed you looked like Jason Statham from the movie "Snatch".  

It was more of a tongue in cheek thread made in the spur of the moment.  I'm sure you're not going to let the words of some internet random discourage you.  Keep up the hard work, man.  In all honesty, I understand overcoming circumstances that you may or may not have control over.  I just approach situations with a bit of levity.  Some times, it's in poor taste.

bigfoot sighted at the beach

No problem man. I'm normally around 80kg, height pretty much the same as Statham, I only lack the body lol

Will resume working out until I'm over this horrible kidney pain!