By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why do Americans praise fat people that lose weight?

People use excuses that healthy food is expensive. If you grow your own fruit and vegetables or buy fruit and vegetables at discount prices from fresh markets, you can eat at prices much cheaper prices. People also use excuses that exercise takes up too much time, is hard to stick to and gym memberships are expensive. Instead of the video games, TV or driving the car, get out and walk, jog or cycle instead. Make the changes and eventually you will see results over time. Stop looking for quick fixes and taking short cuts. No more excuses, wake up people. Through exercise and healthy diet and a positive attitude, most of you can get back to a normal healthy body weight.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

We're all pretty much born on the same level playing field aside from birth defects, etc.  Why is a guy that starts off thin, becomes incredibly obese, and then loses a lot of weight (and is still kinda overweight) considered somewhat of a hero and a role model and the guy that showed discipline their entire life and is in great shape kinda ignored?

First of all, there's no equivalence between the "discipline" of staying thin if you're already thin and the "discipline" of becoming thin when you were fat beforehand. It's like a person who never starts smoking complaining that it's not really that hard for a person to quit smoking, on the basis that it wasn't hard to not start smoking. And this is from a guy who, although not particularly lean through his life (getting there now, though), would never have been called "fat", and also who has never smoked.

Also, we're not all pretty much born on the same level playing field. Each person's body reacts differently to various inputs. Some people are naturally thinner than others. It's not birth defects, but natural variation. You may have heard of "endomorph", "ectomorph", and "mesomorph" - these are broad classifications that demonstrate my point.

And third, the reason why they're treated like "heroes", etc, is that doing so (that is, treating them like heroes) can help motivate others to also lose fat.

Also note the difference between "weight" and "fat". It's an important distinction, and are unfortunately used interchangeably too often.

Finally, since when have people who are in great shape been "kinda ignored"?

BMaker11 said:
theleaguegame said:
it's jsut like gays.. someone says there gay and a big deal is made about it calling them brave and they get in the news..... who cares just let them say there gay and move on.. if someone says there straight its just cool.

It's socially acceptable to be fat, so if you're a fat guy, no one bats an eye. It's not socially acceptable (at least, not completely) to be gay, so it is "brave" to come out. Because the mere notion that a person is gay makes that person a 2nd class citizen in the eyes of many.

Apples to oranges

Even so its fucking bizarre that because of this gays seems to need more respect and understanding than straight... and someone being proud of being straight is deemed as homophobic.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I don't know... why do we praise alcoholics and druggies that check themselves into rehab?

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

who cares about the guy that showed discipline. that makes for boring T.V. People like the guy that turned his life around type story. that's the difference. It's the underdog type thing.