By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why do Americans praise fat people that lose weight?

Mean whale in America..

Take my love, take my land..

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

Turkish is right, it's hard as heck to lose weight, far harder than staying thin. I should know, I lost 55 pounds in 3 months, it was one of the hardest things I ever did. Keeping that weight off since then has been so much easier than losing it.

Congrats, losing 55 pounds (25kg) in 3 month is a lot, the diet I've followed was the worst ever. Cant eat anything other than green vegetables and terrible protein supplements.

Turkish said:
*showed discipline*

What the fuck are you talking about. As if people who are obese lack discipline, they're not getting fat becoz they want to. Some people eat a lot and dont get fat, its how their body works. My bro eats a lot of junk food, doesnt work out and is still a skinny dude.

I have lost around 20kg in the past 2.5 months, went through hell to make that happen, that is showing discipline and being resolute despite being hungry all the time and withstanding temptation of eating food. I got overweight this year through personal problems and depression. You are incredibly arrogant if you think there is not a story attached to overweight people. Its easy to say that fat people should just quit eating and go to gym, but from your POV you will never understand how hard the transition is. Still 10kg to go, I really feel like a hero that should be applauded.

I commend you for doing this and it is excellent, but it in no way whatsoever makes you a hero.

To give other fat people hope and see that they can accomplish the same thing. If u show off healthy people that have always been healthy it just makes fat people depressed and think they are doomed to always be fat.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Its the same reason why every book, movie, or play always have a protagonist that overcomes some type of adversity. A story where nobody runs into conflict or does anything may be noteworthy, but its not a good story. Good stories stories make money, great stories are retold forever.

A story about the guy who remained fit for life is noteworthy (and in today's age, is praiseworthy), but the person that confronted a conflict and won is much more appealing. A movie with Spiderman helping old ladies all day wont sell tickets.

People want to hear a good story. And if praising someone for losing weight inspires someone else to do the same, then by all means. There is enough negative press out there, its nice to see positive reinforcement taking place.

Around the Network

I don't know maybe it's hard for a lot of people to lose weight and when some people manage to lose 100+ Lbs then it's worth getting thanks etc.... but if all you lose is just like 20 Lbs then yeah...........

d21lewis said:
superchunk said:
Why wouldn't you praise someone for improving themselves in some manner?

I'll praise them for improving themselves when it becomes socially acceptable to deride them for harming themselves.  It should go both ways!  Why praise someone for doing something they're already supposed to do?

"Good job, Billy!  You didn't shit all over yourself!" 

No.  Billy shouldn't shit on himself in the first place.

It would be nice, but we don't live in an ideal world. A lot of people make bad choices or have their own circumstances i.e. depression leading to obesity, pregnancy etc. Turning around those bad choices/circumstances and overcoming their issues is championed because displays their will power and enourages others to do the same. A lot of motivational speakers have some sort of back story.

Answer is easy.

People who are really fat, probably have mental issues also, self-esteem problems, no girlfriend, and other social problems.
Why? Because if they hadn't, they wouldnt have let themselfs become so fat.

For them its much harder to come out of that way of life, then for a fit guy to stay fit.

If an alcoholist stops drinking, then thats a much harder and a greater accomplishment than a person not drinker, who keeps not drinking.

So you want more respect for not being an alcoholic, than an alcoholic for having stopped drinking?
Maybe you get it this way..

By the way, 99% of fat people are fat because they eat too much in relation to their movement/labor or whatever they call it in english.
That whole their body works that way is bullshit. Only a couple people have a condition like that.
Plus, even if you gain a little faster weight than your brother, thats no reason to become heavier than him, just burn more energy or eat a bit different.

''Hadouken!''

Fifaguy360 said:

It would be nice, but we don't live in an ideal world. A lot of people make bad choices or have their own circumstances i.e. depression leading to obesity, pregnancy etc. Turning around those bad choices/circumstances and overcoming their issues is championed because displays their will power and enourages others to do the same. A lot of motivational speakers have some sort of back story.

Yeah, I know.  Pretty much every preacher in every church I've go to talks about how they used to do this and that before they found God.  When I was a cop, I used to talk to criminals saying "The only difference between you and me is that you got caught"--and I wasn't lying, either.

I know what I posted in the OP and in a way, it's how I feel but it was more joking than anything.  But, as they say, there's a little bit of truth in every joke.  I have an overweight sister and she's happy with who she is so I'm okay with that.  There was this time, a few months back, when I was with someone and they were watching this show wear some guy lost a shit-ton of weight.  They had his WHOLE TOWN show up and had him on stage like he was a war hero.  

I can applaud him for losing weight but c'mon!

Because in this day and age we have a lot of misconceptions as far as health goes, so even people who think they're being healthy have a hard time losing weight because of what the food industry has told them their whole lives. Also, a huge percentage of us don't get as much exercise as we should because our modern lifestyles don't always call for it. The result is that a lot of people have the genetic predisposition to pack on the fat (which would have actually been a huge benefit for active pre-civ humans with good diets) and thus have a harder time losing it.

If we were all still living out in the woods and eating what we hunted or foraged, we would have no problem staying skinny. But these days a lot of people struggle with weight, and as such a lot of other people like to praise and encourage them for successfully losing it. Assuming that every fat person got that way because they're just a stupid fat slob and saying they don't deserve praise is ridiculous; there are a lot of people out there that just don't know much about what they should be eating, don't have a lot of money for healthy food, and don't have a lot of time to exercise. When they put forth the effort to get in shape a lot of people consider that an accomplishment.

Just being skinny already isn't impressive because there was no struggle involved. Lots of skinny people are skinny despite treating their bodies horribly. But a person who was heavy and then lost the weight through determination and discipline actually did something that took a lot of effort and a big change to their lifestyle.

Also, fat people losing weight just makes for good, uplifting stories for the other fat people to cling to. It's sort of like that whole spiel the one guy makes in The Hunger Games. The food industry still wants us fat and eating like crazy, but give us a little hope and it will keep us going.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9