By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dark Souls Producer says Wii U audience doesn't care about Dark Souls.

JGarret said:
They may not make DS for the Wii U, but I wonder if they´re planning on a 'next gen' (now, current gen) port of Dark Souls 2 for the PS4/X1.

I really want that. By that time I would probably have a PS4.

Around the Network

I think he was suggesting that the Dark Souls audience doesn't care about Wii U.

LurkerJ said:

Asked whether From Software and Namco ever considered a Wii U port, Miyazoe bluntly replies: “No.” When asked why, he explodes with laughter. “Wii U never came up, and we never doubted that (decision) either,” he says. “It was more of a company decision, so I wasn’t the one that decided this, but I think the audience for the Wii U is a lot different from the audience for Dark Souls.”

http://www.edge-online.com/features/dark-souls-producer-says-pc-version-was-rushed-problems-were-expected/

I don't get the mentalitly. I get why developers are hesitant to jump on the Wii U but even if the Wii U was a success it wouldn't have changed their minds. Wii didn't dark souls despite being an ugly game. Of course there is no audience for Dark souls when there is no Dark Souls.

I am exploding with laughter.

It's not like Dark Souls has SO MANY FANS on the HD consoles. It sold 2 millions combined on both, PS3 and X360.

160 million install base and it only managed to shift 2 million copies despite being a critical hit. Why was there no Wii version? The game is ugly and it fits the Wii controls. I would've tested the waters with a Wii version at least.

Yes if it sells 2 million at a 160 million instal base to an audience that loves such types of games, it isn't going to sell at all to a 5 million install base to an audience who prefer cartoony-ish platformers/party games instead of rpgs that make your balls bleed. 

Boutros said:
LurkerJ said:
It's not like Dark Souls has SO MANY FANS on the HD consoles. It sold 2 millions combined on both, PS3 and X360.

160 million install base and it only managed 2 millions despite being a critical hit. Why was there no Wii version? The game is ugly and it fits the Wii controls. I would've tested the waters with a Wii version at least.

Is this really a question?

Yes, it is. Wii U is an unmatched failure, don't make games for it. What about the Wii?

The late PC BROKEN version port sold 300k and it's getting the Dark Souls 2. I would've made it for the Wii if 300k copies on PC were enough to guarantee a sequel.

Give the next new zelda(the zelda after zelda U) to them to develop.

Around the Network
Talal said:
JGarret said:
They may not make DS for the Wii U, but I wonder if they´re planning on a 'next gen' (now, current gen) port of Dark Souls 2 for the PS4/X1.

I really want that. By that time I would probably have a PS4.

If I knew there was a PS4 version of DS2 in the works, I´d definitely skip the PS3 version, depending on how long after March it´d be released..let´s say, by the end of next year (7/8 months after the PS3/360 version), then I´m game.If it´d be only in 2015, then no, I wouldn´t wait.

LurkerJ said:

160 million install base and it only managed to shift 2 million copies despite being a critical hit. Why was there no Wii version? The game is ugly and it fits the Wii controls. I would've tested the waters with a Wii version at least.

game would be unbeatable with wii controls, as if it isn't hard enough already...

areason said:
LurkerJ said:

Asked whether From Software and Namco ever considered a Wii U port, Miyazoe bluntly replies: “No.” When asked why, he explodes with laughter. “Wii U never came up, and we never doubted that (decision) either,” he says. “It was more of a company decision, so I wasn’t the one that decided this, but I think the audience for the Wii U is a lot different from the audience for Dark Souls.”

http://www.edge-online.com/features/dark-souls-producer-says-pc-version-was-rushed-problems-were-expected/

I don't get the mentalitly. I get why developers are hesitant to jump on the Wii U but even if the Wii U was a success it wouldn't have changed their minds. Wii didn't dark souls despite being an ugly game. Of course there is no audience for Dark souls when there is no Dark Souls.

I am exploding with laughter.

Yes if it sells 2 million a 160 million instal base to an audience that loves such types of games, it isn't going to sell at all to a 5 million install base to an audience who prefer cartoony-ish platformers/party games instead of rpgs that make your balls bleed. 

I found it much harder to finish cartoonish platformers than finishing the fucking brainless platformer that was Tomb Raider.  Wii games difficulty level is a BRIDGE to games like Dark Souls.

LurkerJ said:
Boutros said:
LurkerJ said:

160 million install base and it only managed 2 millions despite being a critical hit. Why was there no Wii version? The game is ugly and it fits the Wii controls. I would've tested the waters with a Wii version at least.

Yes, it is. Wii U is an unmatched failure, don't make games for it. What about the Wii?

The late PC BROKEN version port sold 300k and it's getting the Dark Souls 2. I would've made it for the Wii if 300k copies on PC were enough to guarantee a sequel.

It's been patched, now it's quite perfect.

The game is also not at all ugly, even if perfectly within the capabilities of the Wii U. Bottom line, get it for PS3/360/PC if that's a game you want.

edit: I missed the fact that it's actually the original Wii you're talking about. Lol, no. The game manages framerate issues on the PS3 and PC (no idea of X360), I wonder how much of a downgrade it'd need to be hit with to run at least like that on the Wii. But Boutros already said it best.

LurkerJ said:
Boutros said:
LurkerJ said:

Have you not considered that Dark Souls does not run on the Wii?

They'd have to actually make a weaker version of their own game. Who actually wants to do that?

And they're not Activision. They don't have a lot of ressources. A Wii port demands development time and it requires programmers to actually understand the Wii hardware. All of that is money. And time. Time that can be used to make Dark Souls II (where profit is far more guaranteed). Making it on the Wii is actually a financial risk for them.