By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dark Souls Producer says Wii U audience doesn't care about Dark Souls.

BxN said:
LurkerJ said:

I am exploding with laughter.

It's not like Dark Souls has SO MANY FANS on the HD consoles. It sold 2 millions combined on both, PS3 and X360.

160 million install base and it only managed to shift 2 million copies despite being a critical hit. Why was there no Wii version? The game is ugly and it fits the Wii controls. I would've tested the waters with a Wii version at least.

I can't tell if you're trolling or just bitter.

Lol. Why bitter? I hate Nintendo these days. I am not getting a Wii U. I hate how my 3DS is cheaply made despite being expensive. Thank you Nintendo for the useless 3D. How about better screens next time?

I am just discussing stuff. I may be wrong. Who knows. Who cares.

Around the Network

He is kinda right. Wii U fanbase is very small and they dont get anything than first party games. Why waste your gaming investment?

LurkerJ said:
areason said:
LurkerJ said:
areason said:
LurkerJ said:

Asked whether From Software and Namco ever considered a Wii U port, Miyazoe bluntly replies: “No.” When asked why, he explodes with laughter. “Wii U never came up, and we never doubted that (decision) either,” he says. “It was more of a company decision, so I wasn’t the one that decided this, but I think the audience for the Wii U is a lot different from the audience for Dark Souls.”

http://www.edge-online.com/features/dark-souls-producer-says-pc-version-was-rushed-problems-were-expected/

I don't get the mentalitly. I get why developers are hesitant to jump on the Wii U but even if the Wii U was a success it wouldn't have changed their minds. Wii didn't dark souls despite being an ugly game. Of course there is no audience for Dark souls when there is no Dark Souls.

I am exploding with laughter.

It's not like Dark Souls has SO MANY FANS on the HD consoles. It sold 2 millions combined on both, PS3 and X360.

160 million install base and it only managed to shift 2 million copies despite being a critical hit. Why was there no Wii version? The game is ugly and it fits the Wii controls. I would've tested the waters with a Wii version at least.

Yes if it sells 2 million a 160 million instal base to an audience that loves such types of games, it isn't going to sell at all to a 5 million install base to an audience who prefer cartoony-ish platformers/party games instead of rpgs that make your balls bleed. 

I found it much harder to finish cartoonish platformers than finishing the fucking brainless platformer that was Tomb Raider.  Wii games difficulty level is a BRIDGE to games like Dark Souls.

The tomb raider reboot wasn't a platformer. The mere fact that you compare other games to the difficulty of dark souls shows that you know nothing about the game. 

What. You said that Dark Soul difficulty would repel Wii owners. That's not true. The games you described as cartoonish can be a lot harder and more challanging than those on the PS360. Definitely harder than games like Tomb Raider, AssCreed, Prince of Persia just to name a few.

Those ps360 games have dificulty levels, don't judge them on their normal difficulties. Also dark souls is a billion times harder then games like tomb raider and assasins creed. Again please don't talk about a game you know nothing about. 

lost opportunity for them. Wii U owners are mostly composed of hardcore gamers at the moment. Casuals are not on the Wii U ...

Perhaps Nintendo fans should start a petition to get the next Dark Souls/From Software project on the Wii U, similar to how western PC gamers did for the original Dark Souls. Despite their inexperience with PC development, From Software still went ahead and made a PC port, due to the overwhelming fan response. According to the article, they originally didn't know how much demand there was from PC gamers since it is a small market in their home region, so it took a lot of vocal action to make them change their minds.

Rather than insult the producer, show him that there are Nintendo fans who would love to play their games, because I think that the appeal of Dark Souls transcends any one console fan base.  Afterall, sadomasochists come in all shapes, sizes, and console allegiances.

Around the Network
areason said:
LurkerJ said:

What. You said that Dark Soul difficulty would repel Wii owners. That's not true. The games you described as cartoonish can be a lot harder and more challanging than those on the PS360. Definitely harder than games like Tomb Raider, AssCreed, Prince of Persia just to name a few.

Those ps360 games have dificulty levels, don't judge them on their normal difficulties. Also dark souls is a billion times harder then games like tomb raider and assasins creed. Again please don't talk about a game you know nothing about. 

Mario on normal is harder than Tomb raider on Normal. I switched to nightmare mode on Deadspace because I was showered with items. Don't accuse of me knowing nothing when you are the one who came here juding Nintendo games based on how they look.

arcelonious said:

Perhaps Nintendo fans should start a petition to get the next Dark Souls/From Software project on the Wii U, similar to how western PC gamers did for the original Dark Souls. Despite their inexperience with PC development, From Software still went ahead and made a PC port, due to the overwhelming fan response. According to the article, they originally didn't know how much demand there was from PC gamers since it is a small market in their home region, so it took a lot of vocal action to make them change their minds.

Rather than insult the producer, show him that there are Nintendo fans who would love to play their games, because I think that the appeal of Dark Souls transcends any one console fan base.

There is one. It has over 17k signatures. If I were them I wouldn't have made a Wii U version, it would bomb because th system isnt selling. I am talking about the orignal Dark Souls and the original Wii.

I am not insulting anyone.

LurkerJ said:
arcelonious said:

There is one. It has over 17k signatures. If I were them I wouldn't have made a Wii U version, it would bomb because th system isnt selling. I am talking about the orignal Dark Souls and the original Wii.

I am not insulting anyone.

I wasn't specifically talking to you, but there are comments in this thread that are, such as calling him a "douche".  As far as the petition goes, it will depend on Nintendo fans signing it; from what I remember, the PC petition was much larger.  As for Dark Souls getting ported onto the Wii, I'm guessing it is due to technical and resource issues, rather than a difference in audience (since the original Wii had a large install base).

LurkerJ said:
areason said:
LurkerJ said:

Mario on normal is harder than Tomb raider on Normal. I switched to nightmare mode on Deadspace because I was showered with items. Don't accuse of me knowing nothing when you are the one who came here juding Nintendo games based on how they look.

Lol, i said they weren't at all comparable to the difficulty of dark souls. Have you played it? Dark souls not dead space or tomb raider or other games. And if you have played it and think that wii games are as hard then i'm just going to laugh and shead a tear for you. 

He thinks we are kids?