Total:295
Frequency said:
Mr Khan said:
Frequency said:

Reaaaalyy..

3ds:

Super mario 3d land

Mario kart 7 (Spinoff, separate genre)

Sonic and mario london 2012 olympics (Spinoff, separate genre)

Mario tennis open (Spinoff, minor genre overlap with olympics)

New super mario bros 2

Paper mario sticker star (Spinoff, very separate genre)

Luigis mansion dark moon (Spinoff, somewhat separate genre)

Mario party island tour (Spinoff, separate genre)

Mario luigi dream team (Spinoff, overlaps with Paper)

All of these in a 3 year period on just a handheld, if you count the wii and wiiu then in a 3 year period they released a whopping 19 directly mario related games.

Mario, as a basis for a game, is the most milked franchise of all time, deal with it.

Took the liberty of some minor corrections for ya there.

Just because something is a spinoff does not mean it does not contribute towards oversaturating a market, if anything it contributes more towards it.

You can sit there being pedantic about 'proper' mario vs spinoff all you want but the fact remains that game was created with mario in, spinoff or not thw character is used as a marketing tool and thus a part of a franchise, as such directly contributes to the saturation of said market by said overused character.

If sony were pusjing out uncharted driving games, fighting games, 'drakes party', 'elenas fashion boutique', uncharted chess, dr sully and so on, you'd all cry from the rooftops at how sony was milking the shit out of the franchise but then you sit there with a straight face expecting mario to get a free pass, well it doesnt.

Its an overmilked franchise, has been since the snes, always will be because its all nintendo knows, if all else fails push out more mario.

It isn't really the same thing as milking a franchise. If anything they are milking a character, but given that Mario is basically a mascot anyway I'm not sure that applies. You could pretty much substitute "Mario" for "Nintendo" in the game titles, as they do the same job of describing the game.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

Around the Network

Thank you metroidfreak

Frequency said:
Mr Khan said:
sabastian said:

Dude the title has "MARIO" in it..... Mario Kart. Kart game with mario/ A Mario game with Karts. 

Mario game.

You and frequency are both determined to misunderstand things, clearly. Gameplay is all that matters in this regard, because that's what people buy them for. I had hoped to not have to spell it out quite so plainly.

Saturation and gameplay arent the same thing, doesnt matter if one game plays differently from another if its still a mario game, then it is saturating the available library with games of the same franchise.

But alas, your "i dare you to cite the spinoffs as mario games" comment says it all.

Please, tell the world how a game whos title bears the mario name, and prominently features mario as a playable character, is somehow "not" a mario game, segregating genres is just a lame attempt at downplaying the simple and obvious reality.

You are clutching at straws now.

Because it's about the gameplay. If you like platformers but not racers or RPGs, what does it matter how many Paper Mario/M&L/Kart games exist? Overexposure is a mild danger at best, oversaturation, in terms of video games, only come from games that play the same, e.g., same franchise, and even then, 2D Platformers don't scratch the same itch as 3D Platformers, so i'm being generous in claiming that the New series and the others are in the same franchise vis-a-vis their ability to oversaturate the market, which is the discussion at hand.

You're conflating fundamentally different gameplay experiences, calling oversaturation, and accusing me of clutching at straws?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Osc89 said:
Frequency said:
Mr Khan said:
Frequency said:

Reaaaalyy..

3ds:

Super mario 3d land

Mario kart 7 (Spinoff, separate genre)

Sonic and mario london 2012 olympics (Spinoff, separate genre)

Mario tennis open (Spinoff, minor genre overlap with olympics)

New super mario bros 2

Paper mario sticker star (Spinoff, very separate genre)

Luigis mansion dark moon (Spinoff, somewhat separate genre)

Mario party island tour (Spinoff, separate genre)

Mario luigi dream team (Spinoff, overlaps with Paper)

All of these in a 3 year period on just a handheld, if you count the wii and wiiu then in a 3 year period they released a whopping 19 directly mario related games.

Mario, as a basis for a game, is the most milked franchise of all time, deal with it.

Took the liberty of some minor corrections for ya there.

Just because something is a spinoff does not mean it does not contribute towards oversaturating a market, if anything it contributes more towards it.

You can sit there being pedantic about 'proper' mario vs spinoff all you want but the fact remains that game was created with mario in, spinoff or not thw character is used as a marketing tool and thus a part of a franchise, as such directly contributes to the saturation of said market by said overused character.

If sony were pusjing out uncharted driving games, fighting games, 'drakes party', 'elenas fashion boutique', uncharted chess, dr sully and so on, you'd all cry from the rooftops at how sony was milking the shit out of the franchise but then you sit there with a straight face expecting mario to get a free pass, well it doesnt.

Its an overmilked franchise, has been since the snes, always will be because its all nintendo knows, if all else fails push out more mario.

It isn't really the same thing as milking a franchise. If anything they are milking a character, but given that Mario is basically a mascot anyway I'm not sure that applies. You could pretty much substitute "Mario" for "Nintendo" in the game titles, as they do the same job of describing the game.

Thank you. This is the point that i'm trying to make.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

JazzB1987 said:

Really? hmm. I did not play  much of it (just bet the first world because I want to play it with friends) but I guess it will be like 3D Land.

When I first played NSMB Wii I felt bored after a short period of time.  Mario 3D Land on the other hand was fantastic. And after finishing it I was like "wow that was amazing".

How do you think about 3D Land in comparison to 3D World?  Maybe making a singleplayer game into a multiplayer game (including zooming out which robs the game of some of its exploration because you already see everything from the start) is hurting it.

I know that I hate NSMB because you see everything there is no  "oh shit where does that come from" or " wow didnt expect this to be here" moment.

But nothing tops real 3D mario (without stupid time limit and with more exploration) of course.

This is in fact a part of the NSMB feel. Hell, even ALBW was New Legend of Zelda at some point.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network

Did you not read my thread? It clearly states that 3D World is not a flop. I repeat; not a flop!

Mr Khan said:
Frequency said:
Mr Khan said:
sabastian said:

Dude the title has "MARIO" in it..... Mario Kart. Kart game with mario/ A Mario game with Karts. 

Mario game.

You and frequency are both determined to misunderstand things, clearly. Gameplay is all that matters in this regard, because that's what people buy them for. I had hoped to not have to spell it out quite so plainly.

Saturation and gameplay arent the same thing, doesnt matter if one game plays differently from another if its still a mario game, then it is saturating the available library with games of the same franchise.

But alas, your "i dare you to cite the spinoffs as mario games" comment says it all.

Please, tell the world how a game whos title bears the mario name, and prominently features mario as a playable character, is somehow "not" a mario game, segregating genres is just a lame attempt at downplaying the simple and obvious reality.

You are clutching at straws now.

Because it's about the gameplay. If you like platformers but not racers or RPGs, what does it matter how many Paper Mario/M&L/Kart games exist? Overexposure is a mild danger at best, oversaturation, in terms of video games, only come from games that play the same, e.g., same franchise, and even then, 2D Platformers don't scratch the same itch as 3D Platformers, so i'm being generous in claiming that the New series and the others are in the same franchise vis-a-vis their ability to oversaturate the market, which is the discussion at hand.

You're conflating fundamentally different gameplay experiences, calling oversaturation, and accusing me of clutching at straws?

It's still a bit much even if they are different genres. 

Brain Training and Wii Sports do not sell as much if they were Mario's Math Class and Mario Sports. Nintendo needs to understand that while slapping Mario on the box of 15 different types of games may be an easy way for a game to turn a profit, it hurts their overall brand by having so many games with the same character in them even if they are different games.

From November 2011 to November 2013 we've had ...

Mario Party 9, Paper Mario 3DS, Mario & Luigi 3DS, Luigi's Mansion, New Super Mario Bros. U, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Mario & Sonic London Olympics, Mario & Sonic Sochi Olympics, Mario Vs. DK 3DS, Super Mario 3D Land, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Tennis 3D, Mario Kart 7, Mario Party 3DS, New Super Luigi U ... that's 15 games in a 24 month period, that means more than 1 new Mario or Luigi branded game every second month for 2 straight years basically. 

I can totally understand an exasperated parent being pissed off if they went to store to get the "new" Mario game, and ended up buying say "New Super Mario Bros. U" instead of Mario 3D World, not understanding the difference, because there's like 10 other Mario games staring back at them from the store shelf. 

NintendoPie said:
Did you not read my thread? It clearly states that 3D World is not a flop. I repeat; not a flop!

Actual sales point to be. Maybe legs can be good, but launch is dissapointing.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Well, who would have ever guessed that....

I LOVE ICELAND!

3D World wasn't outsold by Knack. That was in UK and by 1,000. 3D World is kicking Knack's butt in the US. Either way, It's still not moving consoles, but it isn't selling bad.
I voted "Where's Metroid" because I don't want a Galaxy 3, 64-2, Sunshine 2, and it wasn't outsold by Knack.