Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, Super Mario 3D World is not moving consoles

Tagged games:

SM3DWorld sales are bad

Where's Metroid? 91 30.74%
 
Outsold by Knack 95 32.09%
 
I want Galaxy 3 49 16.55%
 
I want 64-2 38 12.84%
 
I want Sunshine 2 22 7.43%
 
Total:295

3D World wasn't outsold by Knack. That was in UK and by 1,000. 3D World is kicking Knack's butt in the US. Either way, It's still not moving consoles, but it isn't selling bad.
I voted "Where's Metroid" because I don't want a Galaxy 3, 64-2, Sunshine 2, and it wasn't outsold by Knack.



Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
sabastian said:

Dude the title has "MARIO" in it..... Mario Kart. Kart game with mario/ A Mario game with Karts. 

Mario game.

You and frequency are both determined to misunderstand things, clearly. Gameplay is all that matters in this regard, because that's what people buy them for. I had hoped to not have to spell it out quite so plainly.


No, I know a lot of people who buy any game with "Mario" in the title. I mean to deny that is pretty outrageous. Is it a coincidence that a lot of spin off games Nintendo makes have "Mario" in the title? No, they know that they're going to sell better simply for having "Mario" in the title. It is taking advantage of the big name of Mario. A lot of companies do that like Sony with that Uncharted card game for example or the Halo spin offs MS has. However Nintendo does it the most. Although in their defense Mario is bigger than Halo and Uncharted.

Edit: but yeah it's milking a character, not a franchise.



Mr Khan said:
Osc89 said:
Frequency said:

Just because something is a spinoff does not mean it does not contribute towards oversaturating a market, if anything it contributes more towards it.

You can sit there being pedantic about 'proper' mario vs spinoff all you want but the fact remains that game was created with mario in, spinoff or not thw character is used as a marketing tool and thus a part of a franchise, as such directly contributes to the saturation of said market by said overused character.

 

If sony were pusjing out uncharted driving games, fighting games, 'drakes party', 'elenas fashion boutique', uncharted chess, dr sully and so on, you'd all cry from the rooftops at how sony was milking the shit out of the franchise but then you sit there with a straight face expecting mario to get a free pass, well it doesnt.

Its an overmilked franchise, has been since the snes, always will be because its all nintendo knows, if all else fails push out more mario.


It isn't really the same thing as milking a franchise. If anything they are milking a character, but given that Mario is basically a mascot anyway I'm not sure that applies. You could pretty much substitute "Mario" for "Nintendo" in the game titles, as they do the same job of describing the game.

Thank you. This is the point that i'm trying to make.


It's the best way I've found of explaining the difference so far. It's pretty clear to most, but it does come up quite often anyway.



PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

To be very fair, when i was a kid i was always happy to see referee in punch out looking like mario, same goes for tennis. Featuring Mario i actually find pretty cool



Soundwave said:
Mr Khan said:
Frequency said:
Mr Khan said:
sabastian said:

Dude the title has "MARIO" in it..... Mario Kart. Kart game with mario/ A Mario game with Karts. 

Mario game.

You and frequency are both determined to misunderstand things, clearly. Gameplay is all that matters in this regard, because that's what people buy them for. I had hoped to not have to spell it out quite so plainly.

Saturation and gameplay arent the same thing, doesnt matter if one game plays differently from another if its still a mario game, then it is saturating the available library with games of the same franchise.

But alas, your "i dare you to cite the spinoffs as mario games" comment says it all.

Please, tell the world how a game whos title bears the mario name, and prominently features mario as a playable character, is somehow "not" a mario game, segregating genres is just a lame attempt at downplaying the simple and obvious reality.

 

You are clutching at straws now.

Because it's about the gameplay. If you like platformers but not racers or RPGs, what does it matter how many Paper Mario/M&L/Kart games exist? Overexposure is a mild danger at best, oversaturation, in terms of video games, only come from games that play the same, e.g., same franchise, and even then, 2D Platformers don't scratch the same itch as 3D Platformers, so i'm being generous in claiming that the New series and the others are in the same franchise vis-a-vis their ability to oversaturate the market, which is the discussion at hand.

You're conflating fundamentally different gameplay experiences, calling oversaturation, and accusing me of clutching at straws?

It's still a bit much even if they are different genres. 

Brain Training and Wii Sports do not sell as much if they were Mario's Math Class and Mario Sports. Nintendo needs to understand that while slapping Mario on the box of 15 different types of games may be an easy way for a game to turn a profit, it hurts their overall brand by having so many games with the same character in them even if they are different games.

From November 2011 to November 2013 we've had ...

Mario Party 9, Paper Mario 3DS, Mario & Luigi 3DS, Luigi's Mansion, New Super Mario Bros. U, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Mario & Sonic London Olympics, Mario & Sonic Sochi Olympics, Mario Vs. DK 3DS, Super Mario 3D Land, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Tennis 3D, Mario Kart 7, Mario Party 3DS, New Super Luigi U ... that's 15 games in a 24 month period, that means more than 1 new Mario or Luigi branded game every second month for 2 straight years basically. 

I can totally understand an exasperated parent being pissed off if they went to store to get the "new" Mario game, and ended up buying say "New Super Mario Bros. U" instead of Mario 3D World, not understanding the difference, because there's like 10 other Mario games staring back at them from the store shelf. 

And this, boys a girls, is oversaturation.



Around the Network
Frequency said:
Soundwave said:
 

It's still a bit much even if they are different genres. 

Brain Training and Wii Sports do not sell as much if they were Mario's Math Class and Mario Sports. Nintendo needs to understand that while slapping Mario on the box of 15 different types of games may be an easy way for a game to turn a profit, it hurts their overall brand by having so many games with the same character in them even if they are different games.

From November 2011 to November 2013 we've had ...

Mario Party 9, Paper Mario 3DS, Mario & Luigi 3DS, Luigi's Mansion, New Super Mario Bros. U, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Mario & Sonic London Olympics, Mario & Sonic Sochi Olympics, Mario Vs. DK 3DS, Super Mario 3D Land, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Tennis 3D, Mario Kart 7, Mario Party 3DS, New Super Luigi U ... that's 15 games in a 24 month period, that means more than 1 new Mario or Luigi branded game every second month for 2 straight years basically. 

I can totally understand an exasperated parent being pissed off if they went to store to get the "new" Mario game, and ended up buying say "New Super Mario Bros. U" instead of Mario 3D World, not understanding the difference, because there's like 10 other Mario games staring back at them from the store shelf. 

And this, boys a girls, is oversaturation.

2 party games, two RPGs, a semi-horror gametype, 2 2D Platformers, 3 sports games, 2 3D Platformers, a racing game, and a DLC pack onto a 2D platformer.

I fail to see the merits of your argument beyond a purely superficial level. Customers aren't dumb.



Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Maybe what Nintendo needs is a Nintendo FPS game, Super Paintball/Lightgun Bros. Bring to the FPS genre what SSB brought to Fighting genre.



Mr Khan said:
Frequency said:
Soundwave said:
 

It's still a bit much even if they are different genres. 

Brain Training and Wii Sports do not sell as much if they were Mario's Math Class and Mario Sports. Nintendo needs to understand that while slapping Mario on the box of 15 different types of games may be an easy way for a game to turn a profit, it hurts their overall brand by having so many games with the same character in them even if they are different games.

From November 2011 to November 2013 we've had ...

Mario Party 9, Paper Mario 3DS, Mario & Luigi 3DS, Luigi's Mansion, New Super Mario Bros. U, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Mario & Sonic London Olympics, Mario & Sonic Sochi Olympics, Mario Vs. DK 3DS, Super Mario 3D Land, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Tennis 3D, Mario Kart 7, Mario Party 3DS, New Super Luigi U ... that's 15 games in a 24 month period, that means more than 1 new Mario or Luigi branded game every second month for 2 straight years basically. 

I can totally understand an exasperated parent being pissed off if they went to store to get the "new" Mario game, and ended up buying say "New Super Mario Bros. U" instead of Mario 3D World, not understanding the difference, because there's like 10 other Mario games staring back at them from the store shelf. 

And this, boys a girls, is oversaturation.

2 party games, two RPGs, a semi-horror gametype, 2 2D Platformers, 3 sports games, 2 3D Platformers, a racing game, and a DLC pack onto a 2D platformer.

I fail to see the merits of your argument beyond a purely superficial level. Customers aren't dumb.


That seems to be everyones point in this thread.



Super Mario 128 will save the Wii U



the_dengle said:

Super Mario 128 will save the Wii U

I can only hope.

For SM128, Wii U is doomed.



Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile