By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, Super Mario 3D World is not moving consoles

Tagged games:

 

SM3DWorld sales are bad

Where's Metroid? 91 30.74%
 
Outsold by Knack 95 32.09%
 
I want Galaxy 3 49 16.55%
 
I want 64-2 38 12.84%
 
I want Sunshine 2 22 7.43%
 
Total:295
Arius Dion said:
zorg1000 said:
Arius Dion said:
zorg1000 said:
Arius Dion said:
oniyide said:
Arius Dion said:
3D Mario was never a big system mover. This isn't surprising in the least. What is surprising is how low Wii U is selling in what is now the holiday season.

I wonder what HQ is talking about behind closed doors. This isn't working, Nintendo needs to fined a new direction.

Mario 64??

Really dude? Couple million over Gamecube, 15m units below SNES. Yeah Mario 64 sold systems.

When trying to see if a game is a system seller or not try imaging how well the console would have sold without it.

How well would N64 have sold without Mario 64? Obviously I dont know for sure but based off the fact that over 1/3 of N64 owners bought the game id say it was one of, if not the biggest system seller for N64.


I tend to imagine the system sales WiTH the game.

That literally makes no sense. A system seller is a game that makes people buy the hardware. if a console only sells 10 million lifetime and the best selling game has a 100% attach ratio than that game is a system seller.

Mario 64 was a system seller, it was the primary reason to own an N64, especially in the first 6 months of its life. Without Mario 64, the biggest launch window games were Pilotwings and Wave Race, im pretty sure those games werent pushing a ton of hardware.

Actually, I'd say your idea of a system seller makes no sense.  "take away the game and how much does the system sell" That's retarded. Because the game was released, and the console was a steep decline from the SNES. So obviously the game didn't sell enough systems.

As an aside, Wave Race 64 remains my favorite racing game of all time. The game was simply amazing. If Wii U gets a Wave Race, I get a Wii U.

Gamecube and N64, are homes to two of my favorite single player games ever. OoT deserves Goat, and for me it is. No doubt about it. And Metroid Prime to me, is the Citizen Kane of video games. It is a masterpiece. But as a whole both systems failed to really catch on to the mainstream, and signaled continued decline for Nintendo. Until the Wii (tied for my favorite console ever with SNES)

its not retarded, It makes perfect sense. N64 sold 33m with Mario 64. Lets say It never released and N64 only sold 25m, that would mean 8m people bought N64 for that game, making It a big system seller. Now on the other hand lets say Mario 64 was never released and N64 still sold close to 33m, that would make Mario 64 a non factor In N64 sales. again like I said before, Its Impossible to tell exactly how many of those 33m bought It for that game but based on It having like a 35% attach ratio and being the best selling game of the generation makes me believe It was the biggest single system seller for N64.

comparing N64 sales to SNES sales has nothing to do with whether or not Mario 64 was a system seller. It doesnt matter that N64 didnt reach mainstream success because thats not how a system seller is defined. a system seller is a game that makes people buy a console. Ur argument seems to be that Mario 64 wasnt as big of a system seller as SNES biggest system sellers and that could very well be true but that doesnt male Mario 64 any less of a system seller.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

I had be happy with a Mario game every 12 months and so would most fans.

 Don't tell me about rehash, there's been like 5 or 6 Uncharted, Resistance and Killzone games in a single generation.



I am still waiting on smash and an original Zelda before I pick up a Wii U



Wanderlei said:

I had be happy with a Mario game every 12 months and so would most fans.

 Don't tell me about rehash, there's been like 5 or 6 Uncharted, Resistance and Killzone games in a single generation.


The funniest thing to me is how low Killzone and Resistances sales are.  I listened to fanboys too much but once I looked up sales figures I just laughed.

Resistance 3 (1.33 million) / Hannah Montana Spotlight World Tour (1.38 million).

Killzone 3 (2.51 million ) / Sonic and the Secret Rings (2.6 million)


Thats about how much real people actually care about Killzone and Resistance.  Uncharted has been a big seller (all 3 were 6 million) which is on the level of Donkey Kong Country Returns, so they sell pretty well, but people will get burnt out on those too.



Wanderlei said:

I had be happy with a Mario game every 12 months and so would most fans.

 Don't tell me about rehash, there's been like 5 or 6 Uncharted, Resistance and Killzone games in a single generation.

?? that makes no sense and leads me to believe you dont know what you are talking about. there were 3 Resistance games for PS3 and a spinoff that wasnt evne in the same genre for PSP. 3 Uncharted games for PS3. pretty standard stuff. 2 KZ games for PS3. How about you actually refute his argument, trying to bring up other series that have nothing to do with the thread doesnt make him not right, it makes you look a bit petty. Hell you could at least get the number right next time. Even if that was accurate it doesnt make him wrong. 



Around the Network
Arius Dion said:

Outside the US, people didn't buy the system period. 3D Mario isn't the system seller Nintendo hoped it'd be.

In the U.S., it sold roughly on par with the SNES (slightly less hardware, and slightly more software), and in Europe it sold only 1.8 million units less than the SNES (though the SNES only sold 8.15M there since Nintendo wasn't very big in Europe). Perhaps the biggest reason it sold less than the SNES globally was because Japanese gamers ditched it in droves thanks to Square and Enix jumping ship to Sony, who was the first big challenge to Nintendo in Japan (Sega was a bit player in the 8- & 16-bit eras there). Mario, Dragon Quest, and Final Fantasy were the three biggest franchises on consoles by time the PS1 launched, and when forced to choose when the latter two moved to a new system, most chose the JRPGs and thus bought PlayStations. Nintendo lost big-time in Japan and Sony gained a lot. That one can be blamed on Nintendo, though, because they insisted on sticking to cartridges when many devs, including Square and Enix, wanted discs, which had more space and were cheaper to manufacture.

But considering that A) it was by far the best-selling N64 title released in 1996, and B) a third of all N64s in North America had a copy of SM64 attached to it, I'd say it was a definite system-seller, and one of the reasons why Nintendo was able to maintain steady sales in the region.



Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

zorg1000 said:
Arius Dion said:
zorg1000 said:
Arius Dion said:
zorg1000 said:
Arius Dion said:
oniyide said:
Arius Dion said:
3D Mario was never a big system mover. This isn't surprising in the least. What is surprising is how low Wii U is selling in what is now the holiday season.

I wonder what HQ is talking about behind closed doors. This isn't working, Nintendo needs to fined a new direction.

Mario 64??

Really dude? Couple million over Gamecube, 15m units below SNES. Yeah Mario 64 sold systems.

When trying to see if a game is a system seller or not try imaging how well the console would have sold without it.

How well would N64 have sold without Mario 64? Obviously I dont know for sure but based off the fact that over 1/3 of N64 owners bought the game id say it was one of, if not the biggest system seller for N64.


I tend to imagine the system sales WiTH the game.

That literally makes no sense. A system seller is a game that makes people buy the hardware. if a console only sells 10 million lifetime and the best selling game has a 100% attach ratio than that game is a system seller.

Mario 64 was a system seller, it was the primary reason to own an N64, especially in the first 6 months of its life. Without Mario 64, the biggest launch window games were Pilotwings and Wave Race, im pretty sure those games werent pushing a ton of hardware.

Actually, I'd say your idea of a system seller makes no sense.  "take away the game and how much does the system sell" That's retarded. Because the game was released, and the console was a steep decline from the SNES. So obviously the game didn't sell enough systems.

As an aside, Wave Race 64 remains my favorite racing game of all time. The game was simply amazing. If Wii U gets a Wave Race, I get a Wii U.

Gamecube and N64, are homes to two of my favorite single player games ever. OoT deserves Goat, and for me it is. No doubt about it. And Metroid Prime to me, is the Citizen Kane of video games. It is a masterpiece. But as a whole both systems failed to really catch on to the mainstream, and signaled continued decline for Nintendo. Until the Wii (tied for my favorite console ever with SNES)

its not retarded, It makes perfect sense. N64 sold 33m with Mario 64. Lets say It never released and N64 only sold 25m, that would mean 8m people bought N64 for that game, making It a big system seller. Now on the other hand lets say Mario 64 was never released and N64 still sold close to 33m, that would make Mario 64 a non factor In N64 sales. again like I said before, Its Impossible to tell exactly how many of those 33m bought It for that game but based on It having like a 35% attach ratio and being the best selling game of the generation makes me believe It was the biggest single system seller for N64.

comparing N64 sales to SNES sales has nothing to do with whether or not Mario 64 was a system seller. It doesnt matter that N64 didnt reach mainstream success because thats not how a system seller is defined. a system seller is a game that makes people buy a console. Ur argument seems to be that Mario 64 wasnt as big of a system seller as SNES biggest system sellers and that could very well be true but that doesnt male Mario 64 any less of a system seller.

You're dealing with what if's, I'm dealing with what was. Mario 64 was not the system seller Nintendo hoped it'd be. Hell because of Gamecubes low installed base it had an amazingly high attach rate. Didn't stop the Gamecube from being a failure. (Admitted by Iwata btw) 



Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:


If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

I think its funny how you guys are saying "Its not selling as Nintendo was expecting." Does any of you work at Nintendo and knows how many units Nintendo was hoping to sell and for how long? --'



So, 215k for sw and 220k for hw, counting bf and digital copies. Yup.



Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile


Pavolink said:
So, 215k for sw and 220k for hw, counting bf and digital copies. Yup.

The best thing they can do now is to cancel Zelda U and have all those people make four games (or more) in the same time.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments