Tagged games:

SM3DWorld sales are bad

Where's Metroid? 91 30.74%

Outsold by Knack 95 32.09%

I want Galaxy 3 49 16.55%

I want 64-2 38 12.84%

I want Sunshine 2 22 7.43%

Total:295

3D Mario was never a big system mover. This isn't surprising in the least. What is surprising is how low Wii U is selling in what is now the holiday season.

I wonder what HQ is talking about behind closed doors. This isn't working, Nintendo needs to fined a new direction.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network

So 700k in two weeks is considered a flop? And rising from 60k-80k units per week to 240k units a week is considered not moving units?

Either the world definition of flop has changed or this OP doesn't know what he's talking about

I read a lot of threads and posts in this forums about how there was no way Wii U would sell less then 40 mil. I'm glad you Nintendo fans came to your senses already. Every Nintendo home console except the Wii sold less then its predeccesor, I'm wondering how long it will take for hardcore Nintendo fans to realize what that really means.

prayformojo said:
superhippy420 said:
prayformojo said:
Between 1996 and 2002, we had a grand total of TWO, yes two, main Mario tiles on home consoles. Since 2007, we have had SIX games, if you include Luigi U. That's the problem. Not even Mario is impervious to overkill and it's up to Nintendo to put the brakes on and retire the little guy for awhile.

Luigi U is DLC first of all.  No one counts RDR Undead Nightmare as an entire new entry.    2nd of all the Gamecube was the lightest on Mario Content for any Nintendo console and the NES and Wii were the heaviest and which one did the best.   I think the NSMB series needs to retire for a while but Mario sells the most consoles.  No one even uses Mario in Super Smash Bros but they stick him on the front every time because people recognize it and that matters.

Attributing the Wii's success to Mario is a bit of a stretch. I'd say motion controls and Wii Sports had a little more to do with that system selling well than Mario. Secondly, everything can get old...every...thing. Mario is not above milking. It's something the old Nintendo boss figured out and did so well. Between 1985 and 2002 there were 6 new main console Mario games. That's 17 YEARS...and only 6 games. Since 2006, a span of just 7 years, we've had 5 EXCLUDING Luigi.

So let me repeat. 17 years, 6 games. 7 years, 5 games. Enough said. It's just too much, and they need to put him on ice before it gets worse.

on 3 consoles, right? and the consumers are certainly not complaining.

Zero999 said:
prayformojo said:
superhippy420 said:
prayformojo said:
Between 1996 and 2002, we had a grand total of TWO, yes two, main Mario tiles on home consoles. Since 2007, we have had SIX games, if you include Luigi U. That's the problem. Not even Mario is impervious to overkill and it's up to Nintendo to put the brakes on and retire the little guy for awhile.

Luigi U is DLC first of all.  No one counts RDR Undead Nightmare as an entire new entry.    2nd of all the Gamecube was the lightest on Mario Content for any Nintendo console and the NES and Wii were the heaviest and which one did the best.   I think the NSMB series needs to retire for a while but Mario sells the most consoles.  No one even uses Mario in Super Smash Bros but they stick him on the front every time because people recognize it and that matters.

Attributing the Wii's success to Mario is a bit of a stretch. I'd say motion controls and Wii Sports had a little more to do with that system selling well than Mario. Secondly, everything can get old...every...thing. Mario is not above milking. It's something the old Nintendo boss figured out and did so well. Between 1985 and 2002 there were 6 new main console Mario games. That's 17 YEARS...and only 6 games. Since 2006, a span of just 7 years, we've had 5 EXCLUDING Luigi.

So let me repeat. 17 years, 6 games. 7 years, 5 games. Enough said. It's just too much, and they need to put him on ice before it gets worse.

on 3 consoles, right? and the consumers are certainly not complaining.

Yes and no. A lot of people are opting to ignore the Wii U even with two Mario platformers. NSMB2 sales are also way down from the previous installments, indicating that a lot of people got their fill of 2D Mario for the time being. 

But I think the problem is less with Mario than the fact Nintendo has been lazy in expanding their genre offerings around Mario. Now that the Wii Sports/Brain Trianing/Nintendogs crazes have run dry, I think Nintendo has sorta panicked and relied pretty much solely on Mario to move hardware (and Pokemon on handhelds). 

Around the Network

I really don't think it is flopping.
700k in 9 days, on a low user base console, during the launch of Xbox1 and PS4.

Don't look like a floop. As a system seller, it is too soon to say, with BF and holidays helping it.

Arius Dion said:
3D Mario was never a big system mover. This isn't surprising in the least. What is surprising is how low Wii U is selling in what is now the holiday season.

I wonder what HQ is talking about behind closed doors. This isn't working, Nintendo needs to fined a new direction.

Mario 64??

oniyide said:
Arius Dion said:

Mario 64??

Really dude? Couple million over Gamecube, 15m units below SNES. Yeah Mario 64 sold systems.

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Arius Dion said:
oniyide said:
Arius Dion said:

Mario 64??

Really dude? Couple million over Gamecube, 15m units below SNES. Yeah Mario 64 sold systems.

considering it was one of the few games out at launch for n64, it did sell systems. i doubt people were buying it for pilot wings, cruisin USA or whatever the hell else was out.

oniyide said:
Arius Dion said:
oniyide said:
Arius Dion said:

Mario 64??

considering it was one of the few games out at launch for n64, it did sell systems. i doubt people were buying it for pilot wings, cruisin USA or whatever the hell else was out.

Outside the US, people didn't buy the system period. 3D Mario isn't the system seller Nintendo hoped it'd be.