By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - A Difference of Less than 20 Million Consoles Separate PS3 and Wii

Tagged games:

PS3 needs to sell 500,000 units per month for the next 3 years to overtake the Wii and get to 100 million units sold.

Around the Network
bosslug said:
If PS3 does eventually outsell the Wii, I know there will be plenty of threads discussing how PS3 'wins' 7th gen. But how can they be winners of that gen when it has already finished?

Why is a generation automaticaly finished when the next begins? Did the PS2 sales after the Launch of the Xbox360 didn't count anymore? Did the software sales after 2005 for the 6th generation didn't count anymore? 

The revenue of software for the "old consoles" in 2014 (and probably 2015) will be an important share for most developers/publishers to finance ambitious and costly projects on the new hardware.

It's not a race which ends by crossing the finish line... it's more a competition who can drive the furthest until the gas runs out.

BeElite said:
bosslug said:
If PS3 does eventually outsell the Wii, I know there will be plenty of threads discussing how PS3 'wins' 7th gen. But how can they be winners of that gen when it has already finished? IMO, Wii won the gen because it led at the closing of 7th gen and start of 8th gen and saying "PS3 wins 7th gen halfway through 8th gen' is completely redundant

what did the wii win ? its dead and its succesor is dead in the water while PS3 and 360 are selling great and brawling it out for the 7th gen.

Wii > X360/PS3 in sales, it won in marketshare. Pls dont be in denial. A dead Console that won plain and simple. If i made 100mil dollors in 5 years and stop working and you made 80mil in 8 years while i stopped working, i still made more money than you regardless. :-/

Conina said:
bosslug said:
If PS3 does eventually outsell the Wii, I know there will be plenty of threads discussing how PS3 'wins' 7th gen. But how can they be winners of that gen when it has already finished?

Why is a generation automaticaly finished when the next begins? Did the PS2 sales after the Launch of the Xbox360 didn't count anymore? Did the software sales after 2005 for the 6th generation didn't count anymore? 

The revenue of software for the "old consoles" in 2014 (and probably 2015) will be an important share for most developers/publishers to finance ambitious and costly projects on the new hardware.

It's not a race which ends by crossing the finish line... it's more a competition who can drive the furthest until the gas runs out.

100% agreed, as a nintendo fan and if anybody else knows Nintendo is the same but with software. NSMB and MKWii for example is still selling 500k+ per year even though they are on dead consoles/handhelds.

Sony= Best Legs in Hardware    Nintendo= Best Legs In Software

tbone51 said:
BeElite said:
bosslug said:
If PS3 does eventually outsell the Wii, I know there will be plenty of threads discussing how PS3 'wins' 7th gen. But how can they be winners of that gen when it has already finished? IMO, Wii won the gen because it led at the closing of 7th gen and start of 8th gen and saying "PS3 wins 7th gen halfway through 8th gen' is completely redundant

what did the wii win ? its dead and its succesor is dead in the water while PS3 and 360 are selling great and brawling it out for the 7th gen.

Wii > X360/PS3 in sales, it won in marketshare. Pls dont be in denial. A dead Console that won plain and simple. If i made 100mil dollors in 5 years and stop working and you made 80mil in 8 years while i stopped working, i still made more money than you regardless. :-/

so 100 > 160 OK 

LOL i  got a picture of my 10 year old nephew saying that, thanks for the unintentional laugh.  

The fact thats its already dead proves it won nothing.

here youll like this.  You can lead leMans for 23 hours and lap your rivles but it means shit all when they pass the finish line and you dont.  

Around the Network
BeElite said:
tbone51 said:
BeElite said:
bosslug said:

so 100 > 160 OK 

LOL i  got a picture of my 10 year old nephew saying that, thanks for the unintentional laugh.  

The fact thats its already dead proves it won nothing.

here youll like this.  You can lead leMans for 23 hours and lap your rivles but it means shit all when they pass the finish line and you dont.  

-_- I didnt say x360+ps3 combined. I didn't think you be that deluded to misapprehend my statement!

Anyway Wii outsold PS3= Fact  Wii outsold X360=Fact

Your stating Wii is dead, so in the way that you put it PS3 or X360 cant outsell a dead console? Pretty damn sad. But hey your the one who said it, not me.

bosslug said:

nope.  One beginning does not cause the other's end.  Just like how when you were born your parent's generation didn't die.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

platformmaster918 said:
bosslug said:

Nope.  One beginning does not cause the other's end.  Just like how when you were born your parent's generation didn't die.

fixed

jlmurph2 said:
platformmaster918 said:
bosslug said:

Nope.  One beginning does not cause the other's end.  Just like how when you were born your parent's generation didn't die.

fixed

whoops I'll get on that

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

PS3 has a TON of life left in it, and I'm very curious to see where it ends up 5-6 years from now. This is a very interesting thought, and I wonder what perspective the gaming community will have by that point looking back at this thread.

Regardless of how likely it is that PS3 eventually wins, anything is possible.