By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - A Difference of Less than 20 Million Consoles Separate PS3 and Wii

Tagged games:

It took the PS3 8 years to reach 80m

I dunno if it will reach 100m time will tell.

I mean its time is over. it will keep selling but nowhere near as much as it did when it was cutting edge hardware with a constant stream of blockbuster software.

Mainstreamers helped ps360 to reach 80m they now are migrating to the new consoles. The ps3 will probably have legs in japan and "other" but japanese games are not the reason for the PS3 to sell the way it did.

Around the Network

As a Wii fan who sees this thread as a threat I will use my analyst skills (That I did not learn from any university) to determine if this is possible. I will compare PS3's sales to the PSP

In 2011 the PSV just came out....in Japan and and PSP goes down 20%
2012 comes and PSV comes out everywhere and PSP goes down 43%

In 2013 PS4 comes out and PS3 could go down by what 20%?
If the trend continues then PS3 could sell like 5 and a half million in 2014 if it follows the PSP pattern

Of course their would be people who think that I am totally wrong to compare PSP with PS3 and not the other two consoles or that the two have no similar patterns but hey maybe I am just a crazy person.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

se7en7thre3 said:
In sports this is known as "garbage time points". Its when a team whoops another so bad, that it pretty much lays down complacently, allowing the other to come back and make it seem closer than it actually was.

= Nintendo stopped supporting Wii how many yrs ago? They are already 1 whole yr in with their next console, and also PS4 just launched. I understand this is a sales site at its core, but I'm shocked there are still people who can't let it go. PS3 was more future proof than Wii obviously, but Nintendo started off on fire, so even on the back end of PS3's success its still down 20 mil, after 7 yrs.....let it go already ppl

so what happens if trailing team scores so many "garbage time points", and ends up winning the game?

there is a very good chance that will happen, with PS3 >105 million sold, and wii <105 million sold.

JazzB1987 said:
It took the PS3 8 7 years to reach 80m

It took them 7 years ;)

FrancisNobleman said:

Can someone clarify the wii was discontinued story ?

Because all I read was Wii being discontinued to favor the Wii Mini.

Also, I don't even expect ps3 to sell more 10 million units, let alone 20.

Which is the only truth.

I don't get where the Wii discontinued story comes from either. They've only replaced the original one with a simpler cheaper version in some regions. They also did this with the NES and the SNES and it no different than Sony and Microsoft replacing their consoles with the Slim versions. What this tells me is that the Wii won't be discontinued fully for another few years still at least, like they did with the NES and SNES.

Wii will end it's life at near 105m, and I don't think the PS3 will break 100m. Will it continue to chip away Wii's marketshare? Yes, but it's legs will still be a lot shorter compared to those of the PS1 and 2 because the generation has already lasted so long, this is the extra-time already, and because PS360 combined already beats PS2, meaning 'everybody' has their console.

Around the Network
JazzB1987 said:
It took the PS3 8 years to reach 80m

I dunno if it will reach 100m timm will tell.

I mean its time is over. it will keep selling but nowhere near as much as it did when it was cutting edge hardware with a constant stream of blockbuster software.

Mainstreamers helped ps360 to reach 80m they now are migrating to the new consoles. The ps3 will probably have legs in japan and "other" but japanese games are not the reason for the PS3 to sell the way it did.

7 years to reach 83 million (sales by the end of this year). 

Just like Nintendo ended the Wii support a whole year before the WiiU launch with Skyword Sword, Sony ended the (western) PSP support over a year before the Vita launch with Ghosts of Sparta.

Not a good comparison to the PS3 situation, which got dozens of good games this year and will get dozens next year. Additionally the monthly PS+ titles will prolong the interest in the PS3.