By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - A Difference of Less than 20 Million Consoles Separate PS3 and Wii

Tagged games:

No, it won't. Most people who would be interested in these games already have a PS3.

Around the Network

I think the ps3 has a good chance, but that will be an above average prediction.
I predict lifetime sales will be between 95-105 million

I wouldn't say PS3 will outsell wii like a fact, but it has a good chance. Sony is a pretty strong brand in rest of the world, countries that are still playing with their PS2 because of taxes (yeah it's sad) and they buy a generation later.
So, I wouldn't be surprised if PS3 can reach 105 millions.

AfricanSanta said:
No, it won't. Most people who would be interested in these games already have a PS3.

With that logic, most people who would be interested in PS2 games already had one at PS3 launch. Nevertheless, ~40 million PS2s were sold AFTER the PS3 launch.

In sports this is known as "garbage time points". Its when a team whoops another so bad, that it pretty much lays down complacently, allowing the other to come back and make it seem closer than it actually was.

= Nintendo stopped supporting Wii how many yrs ago? They are already 1 whole yr in with their next console, and also PS4 just launched. I understand this is a sales site at its core, but I'm shocked there are still people who can't let it go. PS3 was more future proof than Wii obviously, but Nintendo started off on fire, so even on the back end of PS3's success its still down 20 mil, after 7 yrs.....let it go already ppl

Around the Network
Dulfite said:

I think ps3 falls well short because the ps3 will decline in sales rapidly over the next 12 months just like the Wii did after Wii U came out.

Thats a bold prediction. Because historically this was never true for Playstation Homeconsoles.  The PS1 sold 11 years the PS2 13 years or something. PS3 will easily sell for 10.

Netyaroze said:
Dulfite said:

I think ps3 falls well short because the ps3 will decline in sales rapidly over the next 12 months just like the Wii did after Wii U came out.

Thats a bold prediction. Because historically this was never true for Playstation Homeconsoles.  The PS1 sold 11 years the PS2 13 years or something. PS3 will easily sell for 10.

Historically, no playstation console sold less than 80 million, yet here is the Vita. Hostorically, a playstation console didn't sell less than the last, yet here is the ps3.

ps3 is no ps2, not even close.

bobgamez said:
Netyaroze said:
Dulfite said:

Historically, no playstation console sold less than 80 million, yet here is the Vita. Hostorically, a playstation console didn't sell less than the last, yet here is the ps3.

ps3 is no ps2, not even close.

Never said that its a PS2 but that would be a dramatic change and there is absolutely no indication of that coming true right now so its still a boldm prediction even if it will fall short of PS2 when it comes to legs it will definetly not mutate to the Wii suddenly. The wii was dieing long before the Wii U came out. PS3 is still kicking both situations can not be compared. Its unlikely this will come true we will see a decline thats for sure but it will not be a huge drop off there are still games coming for PS3 and 360 both consoles will sell for a couple of years.

I'm sure Sega could have kept flogging the horse dreamcast for 20 years and passed the Wii, Sony must be desperate, unlike Nintendo who Killed the Wii two years ago.

TheSource said:

PS3 is only going to sell like 6-7 million globally in 2014, and then after that each year will decline by a couple million. Look at the US and Japan - PS3 is going to be at like 2.3m in the US and 800k in Japan during 2013.

PS3 2011 - 14.7m

PS3 2012 - 12.6m

PS3 2013 ~ 9.5m ish (we're 48 weeks through the year, and it's at 7.5m right now)

PS3 at end of 2013: 83m

PS3 2014 ~ 6.5m (1.4m US, 600k Japan, 2.5m Europe, 2m elsewhere - down from 2.3m US, 800k Japan, 3.5m Europe, 2.9m elsewhere in 2013)

PS3 2015 ~3.5m (500k US, 200k Japan, 1.3m Europe, 1.5m elsewhere)

PS3 2016 ~1.5m (50k US, 20k Japan, 630k Europe, 800k elsehwere)

PS3 2017 ~0.5m (100k Europe, 400k elsewhere)

Should get to the mid 90 millions - but I don't see PS3 topping 100m and Wii is already there. You have to remember the PS3 / X360 need to both perform well for those platforms to get software and X360 is in a further state of decline than PS3, so that should hurt PS3 quite a bit going forward, particularly for stuff that has to do well in the US where the PS3 base is much smaller than the X360 base. The X360 will probably get to 81m at the end of the year (6.6m), but then fall to 3.5 in 2014, 1.5m in 2015, and 0.5m in 2016 - so the "HD" market that used to support 300m units of sw for publishers on PS3 + X360 is long gone - in 2014 it will probably collapse to 120m games for both systems combined, and then 60m in 2015, m in 2016, 20m in 2017, 5m in 2018, nothing thereafter.

You know full well Playstation consoles don't collapse just like that, stop modelling it off the Wii's drops.