By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is X1 forcing Kinect on us any different than PS3 forcing Bluray on us?

???

Yea! 301 40.13%

Nay! 447 59.60%

Total:748
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Blu Ray is the sole successor to DVD before the switch to full digital. Deal with that. Sony created camera based motion gaming  on consoles gaming and never deemed it necessary, but rather an option.

Haha! Oh boy, I can deal with it.

MS should have made the Kinect an option. It works very well and it would have sold well on its own. Apparently MS is so happy with the new Kinect, they believe every X1 owner should have it.

Unfortunately, I don't think Kinect will make gaming better for the average consumer. I don't feel Bluray made PS3 a superior gaming machine either and cost Sony a lot of sales.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Figgycal said:
Blu-ray was supposed to be- and suceeded in being the standard physical disc format. "Forcing it on the PS3" allowed PS3 owners to play the highest fidelity HD movies possible. Blu-ray should've been on the 360. It is the next logical upgrade from DVD. It holds more space on disc and created the convenience of not having to swap multiple discs.

Kinect is not the next logical upgrade from controllers. Voice controls aren't exclusive to kinect - so aside from that, can you really say it has been beneficial to your gaming experience?

I feel like you're defending Bluray, but didn't give any good reasons why it was worth making a GAMING machine significantly more expensive.

Yes, Bluray discs hold much more space, but it didn't prove necessary in the 7th gen. 360 ports were fine inspite of DVD. Some of the most impressive 7th gen games fit on a single or two DVDs.

What I feel Kinect and Bluray on PS3 have in common is... neither are or was necessary. They both actually hurt console sales, even if there are benefits of both.

One difference I see is that the Xbox One doesn't need the Kinect. About Blu-ray, though it was, like I said the logical upgrade to DVD. You can say that the PS3 didn't need it, but clearly we've moved on to a point where both consoles now use it and it's the leading physical format. Even Nintendo, who created the motion control movement, abondoned the idea of motion gaming. We haven't moved on to the point where people prefer using motions over using the controller (and we never will)- until then, it's not the same situation.

There really isn't a reason why Kinect should be forced on us other than the fact that Microsoft wanted to appeal to a casual audience. It's not part of the console, it's a peripheral that is bundled in. The Xbox One already comes with a controller in the box - paying an extra 100 dollars for an unnecessary motion controller when it isn't an integral part of the system is not cool.

Goatseye said:
RG3Hunna said:
DVD Drive = scratched discs, less quality picture, less storage meaning multiple discs for big games(i.e gtav) , so if you lose a discs you're SOL.

Blu Ray Drive = scratch resistant discs, HD picture quality, Vast amount of storage so you can carry big games on 1 disc

This was innovation in the game industry that pushed gaming forward for the better.

That's not innovation that's improvement.

Innovation is like gaming on the cloud instead of physical format.

A total different approach of accessibility and interaction. You don't touch the storage, no need to travel to buy, no need for storage space in and outside devices.

That's what innovation means in a sense, improving something that already is succesful. DVD drives are dying at a rapid pace and pushing blu ray on the market was/is benificial. Blu Ray discs allow devs to shove more game content on discs giving us a better game experience. Devs hated having to build a game then compress content and then remove content they wanted to keep because the DVD couldn't carry the content and then they would have to dumb down the ps3 version because they have to make multiplats even on both consoles. 

Blu ray drives/discs gave us more content in our games. 

Kinect is an accessory that could be removed from the Xbox One bundle and the console would run fine. Whereas Blu Ray was a piece of hardware necessary for the PS3 to run. It doesn't matter how beneficial Blu Ray was. Blu Ray, like cell architecture and other hardware components (which arguably were not beneficial), together form the PS3. Kinect is not a component of the Xbox One and does not form the Xbox One. It's a seperate entity sold with the Xbox One.

Further, in Microsoft's case, the "unnecessary" accessory could have been removed much easier. Microsoft can reasonably sell the two as seperate products without any hassle. However, if Sony sold Blu Ray as a seperate product, the PS3 would not function. 

Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Blu Ray is the sole successor to DVD before the switch to full digital. Deal with that. Sony created camera based motion gaming  on consoles gaming and never deemed it necessary, but rather an option.

Haha! Oh boy, I can deal with it.

MS should have made the Kinect an option. It works very well and it would have sold well on its own. Apparently MS is so happy with the new Kinect, they believe every X1 owner should have it.

Unfortunately, I don't think Kinect will make gaming better for the average consumer. I don't feel Bluray made PS3 a superior gaming machine either and cost Sony a lot of sales.

Blu Ray holds great amounts of space and looks world more. The amount of audio it can hold is astounding for disc based gaming. Blu Ray has already proven its worth in being the format of all three brands consoles and Sony's (yet again) for a second time. Just goes to show that Sony knows a winning format when they see one and Blu Ray is set to shove off DVD in the next couple years for good as the main format in non-gaming households. When Sony uses a format in the gaming industry it not only affects us as gamers but the ability for the common man to purchase such things as well. Microsoft knows better, which is why they followed them with DVD's early on in their first gen when they launched a year after. 

As I said before, Sony created camera based motion gaming. The Kinect succeeded off of the Wii's exposure to the non-gaming market and Sony shaved off quite a few people themselves and sold half of what Microsoft did with the Move so thats not half bad with their shitty marketing. Anyway, they knew its a secondary part of gaming that should be left up to the consumers. Microsoft has the burden of proof since people were forced to have the Kinect of its use in gaming. Those who use it for multimedia purposes alone, well I can understand them. Everyone else? Not so much.

Around the Network
Figgycal said:

One difference I see is that the Xbox One doesn't need the Kinect. About Blu-ray, though it was, like I said the logical upgrade to DVD. You can say that the PS3 didn't need it, but clearly we've moved on to a point where both consoles now use it and it's the leading physical format. Even Nintendo, who created the motion control movement, abondoned the idea of motion gaming. We haven't moved on to the point where people prefer using motions over using the controller (and we never will)- until then, it's not the same situation.

There really isn't a reason why Kinect should be forced on us other than the fact that Microsoft wanted to appeal to a casual audience. It's not part of the console, it's a peripheral that is bundled in. The Xbox One already comes with a controller in the box - paying an extra 100 dollars for an unnecessary motion controller when it isn't an integral part of the system is not cool.

The miscontrued idea of Kinect is that is to replace conventional controls. That is "negative" and MS mentions that (Phil Spencer).

Some tasks on X1 perform way faster on X1 with Kinect than with a controller, for example internet search and switching games, user profile change on the fly etc...

I'm an owner of X1 and now I can't see my X1 without Kinect. It performs fast, accurately and it is CONVINIENT.

Mr Puggsly said:

I'll be blunt, I can't point to a single game that was better thanks to Bluray. The best things Bluray had to offer on PS3 is higher quality video and no disc swaps.

It appears to me the only thing that motivated Sony to push Bluray was royalties and it made the PS3 signficantly more expensive. Had PS3 not included Bluray, it might have launched for $399.

Not everyone wants Kinect, but not everyone wanted Bluray either. So I ask again! Is forcing Kinect on people any different than Sony forcing Bluray on us for PS3?!

Yes Sony pushed Blu-ray but that was because they were pushing their standard.  Kinect is nothing like that, since Kinect is not a standard and doesn't have a special agenda.  It has no similarity to Blu-ray other than they both cost money.  So do apples and oranges.  So NO.

My 8th gen collection

Goatseye said:
Michael-5 said:

Yes, most PS3 games can't fit on a double layer DVD....Sony can't cut the price of a PS3 by removing Blu-Ray, they's like removing the disk drive all together!

Kinect isn't required for gaming, so MS not offering a Kinect free model is them forcing their way.

To me that's their vision and the way X1 is meant to function. Not a mere video card or Ram upgrade from 360.

I see it like, me going to Ferrari dealership and ask them to remove the leather interior. It's not necessary for driving but it's what makes Ferrari and the company's vision.

That's "their" way XBO was meant to function, not how it can function. Thus they are forcing what they want, not what I want.

If I wish to buy a Kinect free model, I should be able to, so long as the system still works. PS3 on the other hand needed Blu-Ray to function. Some may have thought it was a bad design choice, but hey Resistance is still too big to fit on a Dual Layer DVD.

In your example of buying a Ferrari without Ceramic Brakes, not without leather seats. It's an option, one older Ferrari's didn't have, and one that isn't needed to enjoy the car. Or a better example, buying a Corvette with or without that heads up display. Some people hate it, you can't force everyone to have it.

A Ferrari without leather seats would be more like an XBO without an XBO controller.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Figgycal said:

Moving to a format that holds a lot more storage makes sense, but making a gaming machine significantly more expensive so you can watch movies was a bad idea. 7th gen gaming didn't need to move to Bluray, DVD was fine as the 360 demonstrated.

Nintendo moving away from motion gaming on the Wii U proved to be a terrible idea. That's my thoughts on that.

I agree, forcing Kinect in every box is unnecessary. So was forcing Bluray in PS3 just so Sony could collect some royalties. Both feel like blunders to me. But MS can atleast remove the Kinect.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Goatseye said:
Figgycal said:

The miscontrued idea of Kinect is that is to replace conventional controls. That is "negative" and MS mentions that (Phil Spencer).

Some tasks on X1 perform way faster on X1 with Kinect than with a controller, for example internet search and switching games, user profile change on the fly etc...

I'm an owner of X1 and now I can't see my X1 without Kinect. It performs fast, accurately and it is CONVINIENT.

And that's all well and good, but I'd like to be given the option to purchase an accessory that isn't vital to the system if it meant saving 100 dollars. You can use Xbox One without Kinect (in fact they were going to make it mandatory pre-180). You can't use the PS3 without it's blu-ray player.