By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is X1 forcing Kinect on us any different than PS3 forcing Bluray on us?

???

Yea! 301 40.13%

Nay! 447 59.60%

Total:748
NeoRatt said:
Osc89 said:
They are slightly different. A console needs a disc drive, they just went overboard with it. It's like saying they forced better RAM on the PS4. The Kinect is not required for the console to function.

So with that logic an optical drive is no longer required for consoles so why are we being forced to use them still?

I bought all my launch games on both consoles digitally.  and intend to never buy a physical game ever again.  Same with movies and music...

Technically that is true. With the PS4 and XB1 they are forcing optical drives or forcing wifi/ethernet. They don't need both to be a console. However you can't go all digital with the previous generation without missing many retail games, so I would say it was a compulsory component for the previous generation.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

Around the Network

It's not even remotely the same.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Mr Puggsly said:
Akvod said:

But the point against Kinect isn't just about price. It's also about the perceived lack of utility with the technology for gamers.

Agreed.

I argue Bluray in PS3 wasn't necessary, it was very expensive at the time and did little to actually improve the gaming experience. An expense device that doesn't improve the gaming experience... its no wonder why so many people went to the 360.

I fear Kinect is doing the same on X1. Its an expensive device the average consumer may not and it will do little to improve the average gaming experience. Although, I feel Kinect can have a bigger impact on X1 gaming than Bluray ever did on PS3.

But it obviously did have utility, given how it's being used today by both consoles.

Figgycal said:
Goatseye said:

Denifitely. However, Kinect is not useless.

Have you tried one of your friends' Kinect?

I don't know anyone with an Xbox One (or ps4 for that matter). I have used the Kinect on the 360, but it's not a fair comparison I wouldn't think.

Try it playa, I go to Gamespot to read some infos while playing Fifa 14 without leaving the game or writing anything.

Matter of fact I snap the sh*t out of everything.

Goatseye said:
Michael-5 said:

Yes, most PS3 games can't fit on a double layer DVD....Sony can't cut the price of a PS3 by removing Blu-Ray, they's like removing the disk drive all together!

Kinect isn't required for gaming, so MS not offering a Kinect free model is them forcing their way.

To me that's their vision and the way X1 is meant to function. Not a mere video card or Ram upgrade from 360.

I see it like, me going to Ferrari dealership and ask them to remove the leather interior. It's not necessary for driving but it's what makes Ferrari and the company's vision.

Microsoft has no proper vision for the Kinect with games.  Its clearly a multimedia and smart voice device when coupled with the Xbox. Microsoft had no clue about what they were talking about because they never made the tech. The fad is over and they know it hence why they bundled it with the Xbox One. If they were so certain they wouldnt get their return they wouldn't have bundled it. Thankfully the least they did was after E3 relieved us of the bullshit that the XBox One needs the Kinect. I have played the Xbox One and I love it, but guess what? My friends have still disconnected the Kinect like three times already. When they play FPS they reconnect the Kinect if they dont want to use the headset though. At least there is an option. Also in Ryse the Kinect calls can be inputed into the game by using the left bumper. Theres no need to go out of your way screaming command when in truth some of the times you have to wait for prompts anyway. Might as well just use the controller and get it over with.

Around the Network
Normchacho said:

I'm sorry, a bit (well, very) offtopic here...but I'm a huge car guy and leather has nothing to do with a Ferrari being a Ferrari. In fact, the new 458 Speciale doesn't have leather seats. Rolls, or Bentley? Sure, but Ferrari? No.

I was talking about an envisioned component, it could be diamond seats.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Microsoft has no proper vision for the Kinect with games.  Its clearly a multimedia and smart voice device when coupled with the Xbox. Microsoft had no clue about what they were talking about because they never made the tech. The fad is over and they know it hence why they bundled it with the Xbox One. If they were so certain they wouldnt get their return they wouldn't have bundled it. Thankfully the least they did was after E3 relieved us of the bullshit that the XBox One needs the Kinect. I have played the Xbox One and I love it, but guess what? My friends have still disconnected the Kinect like three times already. When they play FPS they reconnect the Kinect if they dont want to use the headset though. At least there is an option.

I hate discussing with you but there you go your answer.

They don't like it. I like it.

Preferences I guess.

outlawauron said:
You're comparing a internal disc drive to an external camera accessory?

yeah my thoughts too

xbox fans being silly imo

I'd edit that.

Goatseye said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Microsoft has no proper vision for the Kinect with games.  Its clearly a multimedia and smart voice device when coupled with the Xbox. Microsoft had no clue about what they were talking about because they never made the tech. The fad is over and they know it hence why they bundled it with the Xbox One. If they were so certain they wouldnt get their return they wouldn't have bundled it. Thankfully the least they did was after E3 relieved us of the bullshit that the XBox One needs the Kinect. I have played the Xbox One and I love it, but guess what? My friends have still disconnected the Kinect like three times already. When they play FPS they reconnect the Kinect if they dont want to use the headset though. At least there is an option.

I hate discussing with you but there you go your answer.

They don't like it. I like it.

Preferences I guess.

I totally agree that preference is preference, but I've played Dead Rising, Killer Instinct and Ryse and I can truly say today that Kinect is truly optional. Since you have such a problem with me I'll just end it there. You guys never seemed to have a problem with me in the earlier days when I prefered the 360 at that time.