By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is X1 forcing Kinect on us any different than PS3 forcing Bluray on us?

???

Yea! 301 40.13%

Nay! 447 59.60%

Total:748
Michael-5 said:
Goatseye said:

To me that's their vision and the way X1 is meant to function. Not a mere video card or Ram upgrade from 360.

I see it like, me going to Ferrari dealership and ask them to remove the leather interior. It's not necessary for driving but it's what makes Ferrari and the company's vision.

That's "their" way XBO was meant to function, not how it can function. Thus they are forcing what they want, not what I want.

If I wish to buy a Kinect free model, I should be able to, so long as the system still works. PS3 on the other hand needed Blu-Ray to function. Some may have thought it was a bad design choice, but hey Resistance is still too big to fit on a Dual Layer DVD.

In your example of buying a Ferrari without Ceramic Brakes, not without leather seats. It's an option, one older Ferrari's didn't have, and one that isn't needed to enjoy the car. Or a better example, buying a Corvette with or without that heads up display. Some people hate it, you can't force everyone to have it.

A Ferrari without leather seats would be more like an XBO without an XBO controller.

There hasn't been a game that can run on PS3 that can't run on Xbox 360 due to it's size yet.

This alone should tell you the importance of BR in 7th Gen or in gaming.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Blu Ray holds great amounts of space and looks world more. The amount of audio it can hold is astounding for disc based gaming. Blu Ray has already proven its worth in being the format of all three brands consoles and Sony's (yet again) for a second time. Just goes to show that Sony knows a winning format when they see one and Blu Ray is set to shove off DVD in the next couple years for good as the main format in non-gaming households. When Sony uses a format in the gaming industry it not only affects us as gamers but the ability for the common man to purchase such things as well. Microsoft knows better, which is why they followed them with DVD's early on in their first gen when they launched a year after. 

As I said before, Sony created camera based motion gaming. The Kinect succeeded off of the Wii's exposure to the non-gaming market and Sony shaved off quite a few people themselves and sold half of what Microsoft did with the Move so thats not half bad with their shitty marketing. Anyway, they knew its a secondary part of gaming that should be left up to the consumers. Microsoft has the burden of proof since people were forced to have the Kinect of its use in gaming. Those who use it for multimedia purposes alone, well I can understand them. Everyone else? Not so much.

I feel like I'm reading a love letter to Sony.

I'm just arguing Bluray didn't prove necessary in the 7th gen. Bluray benefited more from Playstation than vice versa.

Bluray might be the market leader, unfortunately physical media for movies is kinda a dying market. Both Sony and MS are trying to get people to go digital with gaming. Its all about the Day 1 digital.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Figgycal said:

And that's all well and good, but I'd like to be given the option to purchase an accessory that isn't vital to the system if it meant saving 100 dollars. You can use Xbox One without Kinect (in fact they were going to make it mandatory pre-180). You can't use the PS3 without it's blu-ray player.

They could use the DVD or HD-DVD drive if they didn't make it mandatory.

360 did it, PC did it.

Osc89 said:
They are slightly different. A console needs a disc drive, they just went overboard with it. It's like saying they forced better RAM on the PS4. The Kinect is not required for the console to function.

So with that logic an optical drive is no longer required for consoles so why are we being forced to use them still?

I bought all my launch games on both consoles digitally.  and intend to never buy a physical game ever again.  Same with movies and music...

Goatseye said:
Figgycal said:

And that's all well and good, but I'd like to be given the option to purchase an accessory that isn't vital to the system if it meant saving 100 dollars. You can use Xbox One without Kinect (in fact they were going to make it mandatory pre-180). You can't use the PS3 without it's blu-ray player.

They could use the DVD or HD-DVD drive if they didn't make it mandatory.

360 did it, PC did it.

My PC has a blu-ray drive and so did my gaming laptop.

They could've. What you're saying is a different argument all together. The PS3 could've gone that route and maybe HD-DVD would've been the way to go despite being the inferior disc. I don't know. I'm just saying that there is a difference between the PS3 using blu-ray and the Xbox One having Kinect.

Around the Network
Figgycal said:

They could've. What you're saying is a different argument all together. The PS3 could've gone that route and maybe HD-DVD would've been the way to go despite being the inferior disc. I don't know. I'm just saying that there is a difference between the PS3 using blu-ray and the Xbox One having Kinect.

Denifitely. However, Kinect is not useless.

Have you tried one of your friends' Kinect?

This is a pretty silly comparison...Some people don't like voice controls or don't see the value in spending the extra money for the kinect.

Blu ray is objectivity better than dvd. The only drawback was that it was very expensive when the PS3 launched. It may not have had huge benefits for gamers last gen but the impact that the PS3 blu ray drive had on physical media as a whole and gaming this generation is pretty obvious.

Not really sure how you didn't think of that immediately.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Goatseye said:
Figgycal said:

Denifitely. However, Kinect is not useless.

Have you tried one of your friends' Kinect?

I don't know anyone with an Xbox One (or ps4 for that matter). I have used the Kinect on the 360, but it's not a fair comparison I wouldn't think.

Normchacho said:
This is a pretty silly comparison...Some people don't like voice controls or don't see the value in spending the extra money for the kinect.

Blu ray is objectivity better than dvd. The only drawback was that it was very expensive when the PS3 launched. It may not have had huge benefits for gamers last gen but the impact that the PS3 blu ray drive had on physical media as a whole and gaming this generation is pretty obvious.

Not really sure how you didn't think of that immediately.

Not really obvious! People are still buying more DVDs and most likely in the future switch to digital.

http://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/dvd-sales/2013

http://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/bluray-sales/2013

Goatseye said:
Michael-5 said:

Yes, most PS3 games can't fit on a double layer DVD....Sony can't cut the price of a PS3 by removing Blu-Ray, they's like removing the disk drive all together!

Kinect isn't required for gaming, so MS not offering a Kinect free model is them forcing their way.

To me that's their vision and the way X1 is meant to function. Not a mere video card or Ram upgrade from 360.

I see it like, me going to Ferrari dealership and ask them to remove the leather interior. It's not necessary for driving but it's what makes Ferrari and the company's vision.

I'm sorry, a bit (well, very) offtopic here...but I'm a huge car guy and leather has nothing to do with a Ferrari being a Ferrari. In fact, the new 458 Speciale doesn't have leather seats. Rolls, or Bentley? Sure, but Ferrari? No.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.