By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is X1 forcing Kinect on us any different than PS3 forcing Bluray on us?

???

Yea! 301 40.13%

Nay! 447 59.60%

Total:748
Figgycal said:

Even in 2008, the average price of Blu-Ray players were $300 dollars. Finding one for 100 bucks was, I'd say impossible.

2009 Walmart in Kentucky...

Around the Network

DVD Drive = scratched discs, less quality picture, less storage meaning multiple discs for big games(i.e gtav) , so if you lose a discs you're SOL.

Blu Ray Drive = scratch resistant discs, HD picture quality, Vast amount of storage so you can carry big games on 1 disc

This was innovation in the game industry that pushed gaming forward for the better.

jamesmarkus87 said:
The only difference is that Blu-ray is amazing while Kinect is a complete piece of garbage.

I would say the opposite also my BD player is collecting more dust than the ones on the store shelves.

cheapest blu-ray player at launch

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Akvod said:

But the point against Kinect isn't just about price. It's also about the perceived lack of utility with the technology for gamers.

Agreed.

I argue Bluray in PS3 wasn't necessary, it was very expensive at the time and did little to actually improve the gaming experience. An expense device that doesn't improve the gaming experience... its no wonder why so many people went to the 360.

I fear Kinect is doing the same on X1. Its an expensive device the average consumer may not and it will do little to improve the average gaming experience. Although, I feel Kinect can have a bigger impact on X1 gaming than Bluray ever did on PS3.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

Yes, most PS3 games can't fit on a double layer DVD....Sony can't cut the price of a PS3 by removing Blu-Ray, they's like removing the disk drive all together!

Kinect isn't required for gaming, so MS not offering a Kinect free model is them forcing their way.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

RG3Hunna said:
DVD Drive = scratched discs, less quality picture, less storage meaning multiple discs for big games(i.e gtav) , so if you lose a discs you're SOL.

Blu Ray Drive = scratch resistant discs, HD picture quality, Vast amount of storage so you can carry big games on 1 disc

This was innovation in the game industry that pushed gaming forward for the better.

That's not innovation that's improvement.

Innovation is like gaming on the cloud instead of physical format.

A total different approach of accessibility and interaction. You don't touch the storage, no need to travel to buy, no need for storage space in and outside devices.

It is. But there are several key differences:

- The added cost that comes with the device isn't dragging down sales.
- If it does become a sales drag, MS has the option to sell Kinect-free SKUs at a big savings.
- It will have far more utility than the Blu-ray drive did for the PS3--although I suspect it'll be more in non-gaming stuff. That can still be a potent selling point in the general market, though.

I don't expect it to hurt MS much in the long run, frankly.

Have some time to kill? Read my shitty games blog. http://www.pixlbit.com/blogs/586/gigantor21

:D

Bluray push was needed as DVD will not be able to hold our data in the future. Bluray is not just about gaming, it about computing in general. On the other hand Kinect is not that much necessary.

Michael-5 said:

Yes, most PS3 games can't fit on a double layer DVD....Sony can't cut the price of a PS3 by removing Blu-Ray, they's like removing the disk drive all together!

Kinect isn't required for gaming, so MS not offering a Kinect free model is them forcing their way.

To me that's their vision and the way X1 is meant to function. Not a mere video card or Ram upgrade from 360.

I see it like, me going to Ferrari dealership and ask them to remove the leather interior. It's not necessary for driving but it's what makes Ferrari and the company's vision.