By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is X1 forcing Kinect on us any different than PS3 forcing Bluray on us?

???

Yea! 301 40.13%

Nay! 447 59.60%

Total:748
Figgycal said:
Goatseye said:
Gamers are so simple minded sometimes... I think.

I agree. I can't believe the convenience of not having to swap discs and the ability to play blu-ray movies means nothing to some of these guys.

Is that a convinience?

Around the Network

Blu-ray was supposed to be- and suceeded in being the standard physical disc format. "Forcing it on the PS3" allowed PS3 owners to play the highest fidelity HD movies possible. Blu-ray should've been on the 360. It is the next logical upgrade from DVD. It would be as if the PS2 didn't play dvd's and instead had a built in VCR player. Or if the PS1 could only play cassette tapes rather than cd's. It holds more space on disc and created the convenience of not having to swap multiple discs.

Kinect is not the next logical upgrade from controllers. Voice controls aren't exclusive to kinect - so aside from that, can you really say it has been beneficial to your gaming experience?

Goatseye said:
Figgycal said:
Goatseye said:
Gamers are so simple minded sometimes... I think.

I agree. I can't believe the convenience of not having to swap discs and the ability to play blu-ray movies means nothing to some of these guys.

Is that a convinience?

Yes :/ What wold you call it?

Wait a minute. Are you actually comparing a internal disc drive to an external camera accessory?

I..  I don't even know what to say here..  I..   what???

I thgt the OP was just asking,
instead,he is trying to persuade everyone that mandatory Kinect 2.0 built in is just as reasonable as Blu-Ray drive with PS3,well,not to be offensive,but felt that i was just d**n stupid to have answer his question with serious manner.

Around the Network
chakkra said:

Wait a minute. Are you actually comparing a internal disc drive to an external camera accessory?

I..  I don't even know what to say here..  I..   what???

Ok, I finally found some words..

I will just tell you that one of the main reasons why I decided to go with the PS3 instead of the Wii U for this christmas (I'm late to the party, I know) was precisely the Blu-Ray player.

Figgycal said:

Yes :/ What wold you call it?

Not a convinience compared to digital download and by 2008 Blu-Ray format still wasn't fully supported, upscaled movies, and by then you could get BR players for $100.

I snatched a LG BR player in 2009 for $60, it still a beast collecting dust.

Mr Puggsly said:
Osc89 said:

I don't see how you can say the success of the 360 means that people hated bluray. Sony sold more of a console with bluray against a console with DVD, and it cost $200 more.

PS3 sold more, but it didn't crush the competition like it had in past generations.

Without the significant price difference, PS3 would have crushed 360.

I don't see how it follows that people hate bluray. The PS3 has been twice the price of the PS2 for the life of the console. Do people hate something about Ferraris because they sell less than Fords? They just have a different target market. The fact that more people bought a console with bluray rather than a cheaper one with DVD (but is similar in most other ways) seems to show that people like bluray.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

No different really. That's why I'm holding off on the Xbone for at least 2 years, since I hate Kinect. Well that and the ridiculous price.

Figgycal said:
Blu-ray was supposed to be- and suceeded in being the standard physical disc format. "Forcing it on the PS3" allowed PS3 owners to play the highest fidelity HD movies possible. Blu-ray should've been on the 360. It is the next logical upgrade from DVD. It holds more space on disc and created the convenience of not having to swap multiple discs.

Kinect is not the next logical upgrade from controllers. Voice controls aren't exclusive to kinect - so aside from that, can you really say it has been beneficial to your gaming experience?

I feel like you're defending Bluray, but didn't give any good reasons why it was worth making a GAMING machine significantly more expensive.

Yes, Bluray discs hold much more space, but it didn't prove necessary in the 7th gen. 360 ports were fine inspite of DVD. Some of the most impressive 7th gen games fit on a single or two DVDs.

What I feel Kinect and Bluray on PS3 have in common is... neither are or was necessary. They both actually hurt console sales, even if there are benefits of both.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)