By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is X1 forcing Kinect on us any different than PS3 forcing Bluray on us?

???

Yea! 301 40.13%

Nay! 447 59.60%

Total:748

why not all console including next-gen, all use CD-ROM cause its the cheapest and fastest drive, so that all console can cut down a lot more cost, you say you don't mind swapping disc...

Around the Network

:^)

Mr Puggsly said:

People clearly hated Bluray for making the PS3 more expensive. Sales reflected that.

The PS3 sold better that the 360 though, so surely people prefered it to DVD?

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

Huge difference.

Ignoring the "if it isn't packed in it'll get no support" argument, making kinect optional does not make things worse. You can't even argue against this since it's already optional to have it plugged in or not. Bundling only affects the install base.

With bluray, making it optional would have meant a bluray add on similar to the HDDVD add on for 360. It would have been a big bulky secondary box. In addition it would have made a problem for publishers. They wouldn't have to just have devs make two versions, but they'd need to print two discs. That'd just be horrible! Either they'd need to include both discs in one case or have two skus. Neither a good option.

I'm not saying that bluray necessarily should have been forced, but unlike kinect making it optional wasn't a realistic alternative.

zuvuyeay said:
microsoft can afford it i guess is the difference,i don't think the xone will suffer like the ps3 in launch price

but blu-ray was a selling point for me as i wanted HD movies as i'm sure it was fo some others too back 6 years,not everyone is like people you know

Don't be so defensive.

It may have been a selling point for you, but the reality is the price of Bluray pushed many people away from Playstation for a few years. Sony had to eat huge losses to get people back.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

Mr. Pugs hitting yall with them slugs. BACK DOWN!!!

JoeTheBro said:

With bluray, making it optional would have meant a bluray add on similar to the HDDVD add on for 360. It would have been a big bulky secondary box. In addition it would have made a problem for publishers. They wouldn't have to just have devs make two versions, but they'd need to print two discs. That'd just be horrible! Either they'd need to include both discs in one case or have two skus. Neither a good option.

1) If Bluray was an option, few people would have bought the Bluray add on. Not because its an additional bulky box, but because few people actually wanted Bluray.

2) Publishers would have just put their games on DVD, as they did on the 360. There would have been no games on Bluray.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
zuvuyeay said:
microsoft can afford it i guess is the difference,i don't think the xone will suffer like the ps3 in launch price

but blu-ray was a selling point for me as i wanted HD movies as i'm sure it was fo some others too back 6 years,not everyone is like people you know

Don't be so defensive.

It may have been a selling point for you, but the reality is the price of Bluray pushed many people away from Playstation for a few years. Sony had to eat huge losses to get people back.

You seem to be defensive by starting this thread in an attempt to bring the inclusion of Blu-ray in the PS3 down to the level of Kinect 2.0 potentially causing the higher price of the Xbox One and the slower sales when compared to the PS4.

Wow looks like this thread isn't go as the OP intended. Why even ask the question if you wont like the answer.

Osc89 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

People clearly hated Bluray for making the PS3 more expensive. Sales reflected that.

The PS3 sold better that the 360 though, so surely people prefered it to DVD?

360 didn't have the momentum of the PS2.

Sony chased away much of its fanbase and Xbox gained from it.

Recently Completed